Suggestion Thread!

Some questions and suggestions.

Is there an equivalent to the Great Wall? Some way to keep the barbarians at bay?

Is there or can there be a tech that allows a civic like democracy or regulated so you can spend money to hurry production?

Influence driven war is a great suggestion, I agree.

Revolutions is also a good suggestion, where new civs pop up, so you might start out with 7 and wind up with 20 eventually.

Immigration Mod is good, so those big cities can send excess population to the new cities to help them grow faster.

Is there any way to change or stop the loss of XP when upgrading? It really sucks when I have a level 9 unit and I finally upgrade and it will take another 70 points to start getting promotions again. Maybe just a loss back to the previous level xp, so if it is level 6 then you lose the xp points to what it took to get to level 5. This is a different number if Aggressive trait or not (25% less).

How about the ability to trade contact with an unknown civ? This was available in Civ3. Sometimes I buy a map that shows new, unknown civs but I still have to send someone there to contact them.

Can we sell, buy or rent troops? I know you can give them away, but I have never seen the AI ever do that. I want to rent some of my troops out as Merc's like resources. If they die, oh well, but they get XP and eventually come back if they live.

Have some unit, witch maybe, but different than spy, that can fly. They should have a flying broom, and then they are a recon unit.

If you do include inquisitors, let them get promotions and also do a "trial for heresy" on units not of their state faith. That would be a way to take out someone's level 23 King unit without a major battle or being at war.

Have you thought about changing the music for the religions, like they did in Fall from Heaven? I love the zero project music, maybe just do some sound bites for each religion so it is different than vanilla? Also change the icons maybe?

Not sure if it is a bug or suggestion to add. When having complete kills, (need to kill all units, not just take all cities), and I take the last city before they will finally capitulate, I cannot release any cities back to that civ. They have units but no cities, no real possibility of getting anymore cities, and eventually die off. Can I be able to give back at least that last city to them if not more?

How about a building equivalent to the airport, but using Teleportation?

Any plans for additional spells and abilities for mages? I like the terraforming from FFH to change terrible land to usable land. Or an invisability spell to be applied, then lost when doing something, like pillage or battle; great for the rogues!

Is there or can there be a tech that allows a civic like democracy or regulated so you can spend money to hurry production?

Government/Universal Suffrage is the only civic where you can spend money to hurry production, as far as I know.

Revolutions is also a good suggestion, where new civs pop up, so you might start out with 7 and wind up with 20 eventually.

I've played with mod that has revolution mod. Although it's interesting notion, but I am not sure how it fits in a medieval era such as Fairy Tale. I guess sometimes kingdom may breakaway (war between the princes, coup de'tet by general). Le Sage mentioned he had thought about this in the past.

Immigration Mod is good, so those big cities can send excess population to the new cities to help them grow faster.

I like this idea! +1

Is there any way to change or stop the loss of XP when upgrading? It really sucks when I have a level 9 unit and I finally upgrade and it will take another 70 points to start getting promotions again. Maybe just a loss back to the previous level xp, so if it is level 6 then you lose the xp points to what it took to get to level 5. This is a different number if Aggressive trait or not (25% less).

As far as I know, if you attach a GG to a unit, upgrade will not cause the unit losing XP, and it's free too.

How about the ability to trade contact with an unknown civ? This was available in Civ3. Sometimes I buy a map that shows new, unknown civs but I still have to send someone there to contact them.

This is one of the old feature from Civ2/Civ3 that I dearly miss. I wonder if it's possible to add this in Civ4.

Can we sell, buy or rent troops? I know you can give them away, but I have never seen the AI ever do that. I want to rent some of my troops out as Merc's like resources. If they die, oh well, but they get XP and eventually come back if they live.

Mercenaries? Some mod has mercenaries, which you will have to trade the merc resources before you can build such unit. For example, in Pie's Ancient Europe, you can build a merc unit after obtaining the resources by trading with the nation that can provide the unit. When you build the unit, it comes with several promotions already, however, it has additional gold cost per turn per unit (on top of whatever that is already counted with civic).

Have some unit, witch maybe, but different than spy, that can fly. They should have a flying broom, and then they are a recon unit.

One of the Civ, I think it's Krax Sultanate, has flying carpet as ranger/scout :) Flying Broom would be interesting too (stereotypical witch, forget harry potter!)

How about a building equivalent to the airport, but using Teleportation?
Hm... I am torn on this idea. I guess it depends on how much magic Le Sage wants to have in this game.

I'll let Le Sage answer the rest :D

Yes I know about democracy and universal suffrage but they are not in the tech tree. There is no tech currently in the Fairy Tale tech tree that allows money to be spent to hurry production, I was asking if one can be put in or allowed?

As for Revolutions and more civs popping up, many a bastard son of a king has gone on to form a new country. Remember King Arthur and his son Modred? Also a 3rd or 4th son might just go out and set up his own kingdom, as there is no future for him at home, unless there is a major catastrophe and his 3 older brothers die.

Is it a bug that there is no crystal anywhere on the Fairy Tale map?

Is it possible to put in a naming file for the King and Matriarch units, like for Great Generals? I can get you dozens of fictional and mythological names, from King Arthur, to Zena

Hey. Sorry for me being so distant lately. I am waiting for HighwayHoss' updates and then we'll be putting together V10 for you. I am playing some Oblivion in the meantime.

You can actually name the kings and matriarchs yourself. You just klick their name "The King" and enter their new designation there. Having unique names for them already in place is a good idea, actually. I think I will implement that, but right now I have a lot to do, so it will have to go into a future update.

I will go over your many ideas here above, Charles. They seem really interesting. I bet there's a lot of them we'll be using, so thanks for those.

(BTW, This is my latest character in Oblivion. He will replace the portrait of Edward Longhorn as the Principality leader.)

For barbarian units to be a struggle, especially for advanced kingdoms, maybe you need not just one unit, but perhaps a horde of them.

The reasoning for this could be that 4th or 5th son of a king who wants to take his kingdom by force. So, instead of just one unit, he spawns with an army outside the least defended metropolis (size 12 or better). This is similar to what Revolutions does, but this can be a "random even" instead of a counter event like RevDCM is.

The same could be done for barbarian dragons and such. Not just one, but several. A swarm maybe? If they cap a city, its destroyed and improvements are pillaged on the way.

Now, events like these could cripple AI nations if they happen early so events like these should happen in the later stages of the game. If a nation is small in the late stages, well, it deserves to be destroyed.

As for spies, I have to agree that they are merely an annoyance and not really worth investing in. I use them as counterintelligence only. Very rarely am I in a position where I need to use them to steal technology and most times, the cost of the mission is exorbitantly prohibitive to not be worth the investment. As for pillaging and things of that nature...they are just too easy to lose. You never know what the chances of being discovered are and I lose quite few almost as soon as they step into enemy territoty. Spies in Civ 2 were probably the most useful then.

Another change I would like to see is the civics. In playing several games, I am finding myself using the same civics all the time. I tend to use the ones that come with the Kingdom (tech) and School of Creation (tech). You need to have a religion for these to be really effective, but it is easy enough to get and spread one. These techs provide happiness to my people, helps me produce units and buildings faster, and give my units experience! You can't ask for a better combination. The other civics dont offer much for bonuses, especially since corporations are not a huge part of the game. You may wish to tailor civics to provide bonuses in certain areas (commerce, science, happiness, culture, production, Great Peoples, military, etc.)

Just some food for thought!

For barbarian units to be a struggle, especially for advanced kingdoms, maybe you need not just one unit, but perhaps a horde of them.

The reasoning for this could be that 4th or 5th son of a king who wants to take his kingdom by force. So, instead of just one unit, he spawns with an army outside the least defended metropolis (size 12 or better). This is similar to what Revolutions does, but this can be a "random even" instead of a counter event like RevDCM is.

The same could be done for barbarian dragons and such. Not just one, but several. A swarm maybe? If they cap a city, its destroyed and improvements are pillaged on the way.

Now, events like these could cripple AI nations if they happen early so events like these should happen in the later stages of the game. If a nation is small in the late stages, well, it deserves to be destroyed.
Good ideas there; we can use such events in the game. It would give players incentive to grow.

As for spies, I have to agree that they are merely an annoyance and not really worth investing in. I use them as counterintelligence only. Very rarely am I in a position where I need to use them to steal technology and most times, the cost of the mission is exorbitantly prohibitive to not be worth the investment. As for pillaging and things of that nature...they are just too easy to lose. You never know what the chances of being discovered are and I lose quite few almost as soon as they step into enemy territoty. Spies in Civ 2 were probably the most useful then.
So what would you think of removing espionage entirely?

Another change I would like to see is the civics. In playing several games, I am finding myself using the same civics all the time. I tend to use the ones that come with the Kingdom (tech) and School of Creation (tech). You need to have a religion for these to be really effective, but it is easy enough to get and spread one. These techs provide happiness to my people, helps me produce units and buildings faster, and give my units experience! You can't ask for a better combination. The other civics dont offer much for bonuses, especially since corporations are not a huge part of the game. You may wish to tailor civics to provide bonuses in certain areas (commerce, science, happiness, culture, production, Great Peoples, military, etc.)
Fair point....I can see overhauling civics.

BTW welcome back Jennvare.

Put in a National Wonder like Fort Knox that doubles the money generated in a city, but call it The Dragon's Hoard, and you must have dragon eggs to build AND to maintain. Lose the dragon egg resource and the Dragon's Hoard disappears. Also the Dragon's Hoard can be the only place to build a Dragon, like you need Seadragon's lair to build the Seadragon.

Don't remove espionage, maybe just the spys, or else enhance them with XP and promotions. Espionage is good to tell who is researching what and which cities are worth going for first in a war, but yes the spy unit himself is worthless right now

Concerning Espionage,

I am in favor of removing it unless we can make it worth investing in.

In vanilla civ, I always shut espionage off for custom games and just find it minorly irritating when I have to keep it on.

In Revolutions, espionage is useful in the fact that if you have enough of them out there, you can cause a massive revolution in an enemy civ with unhealthiness and unhappiness. It is still a massive undertaking, but can be worth it if you really want to soften an enemy up.

Perhaps espionage action can be tried to the rogues and recon units. Atleast recon units have an alternative way to get XP points and, if given the spy promotion, can have the same "invisibility" as normal spies get. But other than that, enemy units with the spy promotion can see and attack other spies allowing for espionage combat.

Now..I dont know how well the AI would use a such a thing or even if it is possible through any type of coding. I know nothing of modding so it's just an idea to throw out there.

BTW, I never really left. Just been playing alot of civ with my fiance and checking things out in other mods we play.

In concern of removing espionage, I am rather prefer partial removal, if we do go that route (though I am still hoping there's a viable option to take advantage of spies). What I mean with partial removal is remove the spy units and ability to do spy actions. However, do not remove the espionage points where we can accumulate and reveals enemy's cities/details.

New leader idea for the Dal.
Faste Gälta. He was a descendant of the first Clanfather Nerva Dal-Compte and founded the Gälta cadet branch of the family. He built the citadel of Dalaborg and built Dal's first art museum. He ruled during the scenario, "Namyr's Golden Age."

Top Bottom