Updates for non Steam users

binks

Chieftain
I'm playing Civilization 5 on cloud based game service and when I upgrade my machine I'd like to buy stand alone version of the game and here is my question - I know that updates and hot fixes are applied automatically on Steam, but what about users having stand alone game not on Steam. Where we can download updates and fixes from? I opened support request on developer web page few days ago, still no answer. I beat there are many people like me, so where we can download our updates from?

From SKIDROW probably.

There is no such thing as a CiV standalone non-steam version, unless it's a pirated version. For support for pirated versions ask the distributor of that version.

Until recently, I thought the same. However, in another thread in the Bug Reports forum, binks said he is playing a version of the game from OnLive. They offer, among other games, single-player Civ5 GOTY.

Interesting.

From here:
https://support.onlive.com/entries/22288217-Game-Updates-and-Patches

How do I patch or update my games?

With the OnLive Game Service, there is no need for updating or patching the game, OnLive games are always up to date and patched before you access them.
Why does my game seem to be running a different version?

You probably know that version numbers can differ between PC or console versions of a game, and OnLive is no different. While we use most of the same code that's used for PC games, there are MANY code changes to allow everyone to play instantly in the Service, on multiple devices without waiting for downloads or discs.
What about DLC (downloadable content) or add-on packs?

Sometimes, advertised content is exclusive to a particular outlet or channel, so we aren't permitted to offer it on the Service.

Occasionally, code access is delayed, which pushes out our development cycle. If this happens, we'll notify you of the delay as soon as we become aware of it.

So,
If I'm getting this right binks is saying he will be getting basically an offline version of CiV through on-live (different from their normal cloud service the above quote is referring to). If that is true, then I'd suppose this version would update whenever he connects to on-live anyway. In any case you probably should contact the on-live support, not Firaxis.

Exactly. Thanks @Petek for that.
@FeiLing I read that too but the problem is that they didn't even heard about update for Civ5. They offering Gods & Kings but they didn't installed any update fixing the bugs in the game. So I'm trying to find out where to download updates or bug fixes from, to say to them - Look, here and here you can download update that fixes bugs in the game and don't tell me the crap that you have the latest ver of the game!!

Well you can't download any patches yourself. Devs only deliver them through steam automatically.

And you might think they'd also provide on-live with patches in the same way... but honestly you are probably the only person to use the game via that service :D

So they might have abandoned supporting/patching it - apparently there is no BNW for it yet either, so it may have stopped sometime after GnK... or everything is just going much slower for them and it may arrive in some weeks... or months or well... never.

And the person that talks to you from the support most certainly doesn't know anything and won't look or be able to do anything either. He'll just look at his db and see that the version you have is the most up to date version THEY have.

You said you plan to buy the game when you buy a new PC? Does that mean you currently get to play some games from a pool of games on-live offers for a fee? I'd imagine that is how all of this works. Maybe you should consider the on-live stuff as a demo then.
Is there any reason against using steam and buying the normal version of the game?

I'm playing Civilization 5 on cloud based game service and when I upgrade my machine I'd like to buy stand alone version of the game and here is my question - I know that updates and hot fixes are applied automatically on Steam, but what about users having stand alone game not on Steam. Where we can download updates and fixes from? I opened support request on developer web page few days ago, still no answer. I beat there are many people like me, so where we can download our updates from?

Your best bet is to wait for it to go on sale on Steam and then purchase it through steam. Otherwise, if you go off of the "rent-a-game" Onlive site, you will have to enable your own purchased license through steam and you will get all the latest updates via steam.

Onlive can only get their updates if they do it through steam. Unless they have a deal directly through firaxes, then steam is the only way to get updates.

Top Bottom