Brave New World Patch notes! Version 1.0.3.276

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt see this coming with the release of BE just the other day (y)

Guessing does mp problems will be fixed pretty soon.

I am disappointed that they would release a patch that they obviously didn't even test in multiplayer. They would have had to play a game for all of 5 minutes before running into the easily reproducable resync bug. Or else they just don't care about multiplayer in the slightest and released it even though they knew. That is even worse.

This is welcome (the new resources were expected in the main game a while ago), but it would have been nice to have more as a 'bow out' patch - perhaps including a Deluxe version of one or more of the existing scenarios (such as 1066) that hasn't received one, and possibly extra resources such as rice for marsh (which lacks many resources).

I wonder if the Bison resource here is a Luxury or Bonus one.

It's the same resource as in the scenario, so will be a bonus resource in plains.

MadDjinn and co...

I am asking because i know you might have been involved in the preparation of the patch.... sorry if you weren't

I think the patch's rebalancing touches are terrific. Bringing reformation into play is awesome. Nerfing Tradition so that not 80% of the games go for it is good.

However, has this been tested with multiplayer at all?

Can someone make a statement to how this was tested in MP?

The excitement in the MP scene was palatable when the news spread of the patch and the changes. I can attest that everyone was very surprised and incredibly pleased. Personally I think the Tradition nerf is subtle and clever, and new resources is always a pleasant sight.

Imagine our frustration then when we can't even get into the game long enough to relish these changes at all! It's really sad.

Hah!

Scientific Wins in BNW now come with a lovely button directing you to the store page for BE.

Spoiler Big Pics :

The more you know~

Someone says Carthagian workers can no longer end their turn on mountains, meaning they could no longer build roads over mountains. Wait, are you kidding me, was that really a thing?

So just now is when this started being tested?

Honestly - I wanna find out what Firaxis does in terms of testing.

Also you state multiple times to provide log files.

Can you be more specific about where they are and where they should be posted - get the community testing for you - i suppose that was the intention all along.

Can you be more specific about where they are and where they should be posted - get the community testing for you - i suppose that was the intention all along.

Logs are found in mygames/civ5 folder. You need to enable logging in the config.ini file first.

This is what I have in my config.ini on logging:
Spoiler :

[Debugging]

; Set to 1 to enable the fire tuner to connect to the game.
EnableTuner = 0

; Set remark levels (ex. /R0 /R1:Video - means all off except video level 1) (default "/R1"
Remarks = /R1

; Set remark log filename; empty for no remark log
RemarkLog =

; Sets a breakpoint on a specified object allocation order number (debug only).
CrtBreakAllocNum = 0

; Set to 1 to validate memory on allocations
MemoryManagerValidateOnAllocation = 0

; Set to 1 to validate memory on deallocations
MemoryManagerValidateOnDeallocation = 0

; Frequency at which to do memory validation (in operations) 0 = off
MemoryManagerValidationFrequency = 0

; Set to 1 to send FRemark output to the tuner
SendRemarksToTuner = 0

; Set to 1 to enable mem tracking when using a mem tracker build
EnableMemTrackerSystem = 0

; Set to 1 to do various embedded memory tracker dumps
DoMemTrackerDumps = 0

; Set to 1 to disable hotloading of objects
DisableHotLoading = 0

; Set to 1 to enable asserts in debug mode
EnableAsserts = 1

; Set to 1 to have loose files override PAK files if the loose file is newer
LooseFilesOverridePAK = 0

; Set to 1 to quiet D3D warning and leak msgs
D3D Mute = 0

; Sub-directory where the game code DLL resides, set to empty string to let the game decide
GameCoreSubDirectory =

; Set to 1 to disable hotloading of objects
DisableHotLoader = 1

; Enables the use of the standard Lua debug library.
EnableLuaDebugLibrary = 0

; Set to 1 to enable the dialog popup for asserts in multiplayer
EnableAssertDialogInMultiplayer = 0

; Validates the game database whenever it is changed.
ValidateGameDatabase = 0

Spoiler :

[DEBUG]

; upload assert logs and crash dumps to the server
UploadReports = 1

; Delete reports after uploading to the server
MoveReports = 1

; Controls the threading strategy: (0=default,1=no display lists,2=one DL per command set, 3=split mode, 4=aggregate mode)
ThreadingMode = 0

; Number of commands per diplay list to aim for in SPLIT and AGGREGATE thread modes
TargetJobSize = 100

; Enables stack-trace collection on random number generators and FAutoVariables. Slightly slower and uses more memory
EnableOutOfSyncDebugging = 1

; Set App on Auto-Run
Autorun = 0

; Number of turns to autorun before exiting (0 for no limit)
AutorunTurnLimit = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 0

; Enable AI logging
AILog = 1

; Enable Builder AI logging
BuilderAILog = 1

; Enable Serialization logging
SerializationLog = 0

; Enable Tutorial logging
TutorialLog = 0

; Enable Tutorial debug window
TutorialDebug = 0

; Split AI Logging into separate files for each Player & City
PlayerAndCityAILogSplit = 0

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Show combat debugging overlays
CombatDebug = 0

; Enable AI performance logging
AIPerfLog = 0

; Use a background thread for asynchronous D3D submission.
ThreadedExecute = 0

; Maximum number of frames to allow D3D to queue up. 0 means default. DX11.1 only
MaxFrameLatency = 0

; Saves the game after the human player presses 'next turn' but before the game logic advances
PostTurnAutosaves = 1

[TextKey Settings]

; Enable triggered sounds from units (3dsmax Note tracks) (default 1)
Enable markered sounds = 1

This is probably a user error, is my guess. Do you have any mods installed? Are your install fresh? Try validating your files in Steam.

No, this has not just started testing. But if you are having an issue that the 5 person ffa game I played Tonite is not showing, then you have to provide some information to help find out why.

Edit -- and grab the logs each time you leave the game. -zip the whole folder.

Else, turn off the overwrite logs line.

This may be the saddest SP patch I've ever seen, given how many problems there are with the trees right now. C'mon, guys. You couldn't give +1 culture to shrines? Or give Liberty a boost? Just steal a *little* from the awesome SP mods out there, maybe (e.g., Policy Plus or Reform and Rule).

Instead make it so that if you go Tradition, the first policy you pick is something that will essentially be worthless. Not that the free monuments so early weren't broken, but this is the kind of fix someone comes up with and puts into place on their lunch hour.

This may be the saddest SP patch I've ever seen, given how many problems there are with the trees right now. C'mon, guys. You couldn't give +1 culture to shrines? Or give Liberty a boost? Just steal a *little* from the awesome SP mods out there, maybe (e.g., Policy Plus or Reform and Rule).

Instead make it so that if you go Tradition, the first policy you pick is something that will essentially be worthless. Not that the free monuments so early weren't broken, but this is the kind of fix someone comes up with and puts into place on their lunch hour.

I think its pretty clear at this point that Piety is a supplementary tree. You should never open it first. It seems like Liberty, republic & free settler is the pre-requisite to a game focused on religion.

Now that reformation is 1 policy earlier that should actually make a hybrid Liberty/Piety or Tradition/Piety much more viable.
The only thing is I don't know why religious tolerance is a prerequisite seeing as it has no use in the early game. RT would be better as the finishing policy.

I think its pretty clear at this point that Piety is a supplementary tree. You should never open it first.

Given that the opening is double-speed shrines and temples, and you generally need early religious buildings to get a religion, it seems odd that should be the opening benefit for a policy you might not take until turn 50 or later.

There are so many good nerfs to Trad/Honor/Piety out there, I just think it's bizarre that they'd do such a half-assed patch. It looks like an afterthought, down to the little leftover policies there being all stranded and alone.

My own thought is that the policy tree change a good idea for Piety, but it really should have included changing the requirement to open to the Classical era to save the poor AI from itself. (Similarly while at it the Honor opener could also use a delay to Classical era to help the AI)

On the Tradition change, while it might slow down those that had already been building a monument in their capital first anyway, those that weren't are now going to which will cancel that slowdown. It would actually be a more significant nerf if the free Aqueducts were to require Engineering to be granted with it one tech off the path to Education.

No, Liberty does NOT need a boost, any boost to it and even those only wanting 4 self founded cities will switch to that as a first tree and use Tradition as a second one. (Along with always picking Oracle and always wanting Worlds Fair first)

A nice lil' patch!

I like the reduced warmonger penalties in the earlier eras -- they were violent times after all!

The branch manipulations within Tradition and Piety are interesting and will certainly delay/hasten the acquisition of the powerful policies at the end of the trees.

I'm also surprised they decided to throw cocoa and bison in; especially bison, since as a bonus resource, it wasn't really needed since all holes are already filled. Oh well, grass and plains overall are now a tiny bit more fertile. :)

- - - - -

Though, Firaxis, I found a new bug in AssignStartingPlots.lua with your new additions:

GetListOfAllowableLuxuriesAtCitySite

Code:
local allowed_luxuries = table.fill(false, [COLOR="Red"]35[/COLOR]);

You need to increase the size of this table to 45 too, just as you did with the other ones at the top of the file, shown below.

Code:
amounts_of_resources_placed = table.fill(0, 45), 
luxury_assignment_count = table.fill(0, 45),
luxury_low_fert_compensation = table.fill(0, 45),

Since the new resources are added at the end of the BNW Resources XML file, Cocoa has an index number of 41, and you've decided to include it in this function. It will always be nil and some city-states may never get a luxury or some civs will never get their 2nd luxury type at starts.
EDIT: Actually, what would probably really happen is that cocoa would simply never be assigned to city-states or as 2nd luxuries for starts, and is just a waste to include in the function until the table is enlarged.

- - - - -

Also, I was surprised to see Cocoa added here when the Gods and Kings luxuries are still not present for some reason.

- - - - -

Additionally, if you want to address another bug which has existed for a long time while you're working in this location:

There really needs to be a check for an existing resource (the existing regional ones placed in the start location) on the tile before the function starts setting resource types to "true" for that tile.

Code:
if plot:GetResourceType(-1) == -1 then

Because, if that one tile is the only one useable by the randomly chosen luxury, it will never be placed and will be ignored if another luxury already exists there.

I imagine this was an oversight because the function was probably originally only used for city-states earlier during development (who don't have other luxuries placed in their areas - and other resource types come later.), until it was then also used for 2nd luxury type placement at major civ starts.

Given that the opening is double-speed shrines and temples, and you generally need early religious buildings to get a religion, it seems odd that should be the opening benefit for a policy you might not take until turn 50 or later.

Hmmm not sure about this. Liberty gives each city a point of culture & productivity and makes it a lot easier to get settlers out. This makes it a lot easier to expand and build more shrines/temples over the longterm.
The problem with getting a religion is that on Diety the AIs start with pottery, 2 cities and a production bonus so they have a huge lead in securing a religion that the player doesn't.
That imo is the real problem. But one fix could be to change the Ancestor Worship pantheon into providing 1 faith and 1 culture per shrine. I've never seen a time when Ancestor Worship was an optimal pantheon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom