Kruelgor's Huge Earth

I like the map and the setup, love the resources and city-states, but the map could use some tweaks :
  • France is half the size of Spain but has always been twice its contender and is actually much bigger in size anyway :p
  • Borneo and Iceland need mountains on them, not just hills.
  • Africa is way too big, it's the biggest landmass with only two civs merely competing, so shrinking that challenging bit of earth is mandatory : my idea would be to make the Mediterranean taller, and the Arabian peninsula wider (westward) to move some of the spare space to other cluttered areas. Sure Africa will look a bit awkward, but it would balance things.
  • China should start with its capital in Shanghai, not Beijing, so that it settles China as it should, instead of going for Korea then Manchuria as it's consistently done in my games - India and Siam getting the Chinese territory.
  • Move Sakhalin and Kamchatka north, and expand Japan north to, it needs more space and all that Siberian waste is a just a waste.
  • Put more tundra instead of plains in Siberia : it's too easy to see cities prosper there.
  • Staying in Japan, Kyushu (south island) could need two more hex if you move Okinawa one hex south, and same for Hokkaido (north island).
  • Hokkaido which needs a grain resource : it's the granary of Japan.
  • Maybe some cattle near Kyoto for Kobe beef ? :p :lmao:

One small aesthetic suggestion; I don't know about everyone else, but while I like the idea of minor civs, I don't like what is clearly a city to bear the name of the whole country/civ it represents (apart from ones like singapore, etc) which looks particularly weird if you capture said city... What I have seen in a scenario (XX century i believe) is city-states bearing one 'city' name and another name representing a 'civ'; and multiple city-states can also be grouped under the same name, with a single diplomacy box no matter which city you click on- this was used in that scenario to create states such as austro-hungary etc.
I have no idea how you do this, and as far as i know you might have already done it yourself cause I havent played this map in a while, but you might wanna look at that scenario anyway...

Taneda Santôka;9862078 said:
China should start with its capital in Shanghai, not Beijing, so that it settles China as it should, instead of going for Korea then Manchuria as it's consistently done in my games - India and Siam getting the Chinese territory.

Actually all Asian land civs have a tendency to expand northward... And the Chinese original capital should rather be Anyang/Changan (on the Yellow River, I believe, a bit to the southwest of Beijing, which never was capital in ancient times).

Actually all Asian land civs have a tendency to expand northward... And the Chinese original capital should rather be Anyang/Changan (on the Yellow River, I believe, a bit to the southwest of Beijing, which never was capital in ancient times).

Even India?

Kruelgor's Huge Earth is the best earth map. I play it always.

I love to play Romans (I like the construction 25% bonus)
I believe it's wrong do not get a civilization where Chartage was.
Now the game is to destroy France, Germany and Greece.
The real story was the big war Rome vs Chartage.
French, German and Grece were easy conquests.

I believe it's possible simulate the History if the isolated african civilization named Askia can be moved where city state Tunisia is now.

I believe the Kruelgor's Huge Earth do not affect the tech tree.

May you confirm?

Yes, playing the Songhai I tapped into the So. Af. riches. You ally with the city state and they gradually give you more and more. So far I have not expanded beyond the jungle area between the two rivers (Niger and Congo?) and I don't think I will. About eight cities in there should be plenty.

I am playing the Mongols, Rev. 5, King level. It's a real challenge and also nicely balanced. The question is what approach to take. It's not easy to stay positive in gold and happiness. I decided to take the Kazakh city state for the incense plus develop a few cities to get the furs and gems and put a boundary around the capital. Rather than building workers I stole them from China, India, Russia. In a while they offer peace on favorable terms. I built Stonehenge and monuments in every city to keep SPs rolling. Food is an issue early and granaries are helpful (I usually don't build them).

You need 3-4 horsemen to cover the basic territory, a warrior or archer in every city, and chariot archers are a nice combination with the horsemen, especially when dealing with spearmen.

After I had five cities I was attacked by Persia and am now fighting them south of Kazakh. Their tactics are not sound, but you do need to be careful (when will the Civ guys ever provide decent military AI?). This is good practice for getting your military tactics down pat. There are many little nuances about using combined arms, screening, using a Khan genera, and flanking which I only just tuned into.

I'm not going on major distant attacks until I get the horsemen and chariot archers (the latter do not get the +1 movemet that other Mongol horse units get, btw) upgraded to Keshiks. It's so hard to maintain positive happiness that I think I'll raze foreign capitals instead of trying to puppet them or manage and expanded empire.

I will keep Kazakh as a puppet until it makes a dumb build (barracks or stable), then I'll take it over. The first four builds made sense. Oh, and my recommendation on puppets is to make two changes: 1) no buildings that relate to units, such as barracks, and 2) allow the "owner" to set the general build strategy. Right now they are all set to gold only.

Hello everyone, I would like to congratulate you, Kruelgor, for the scenario!

Some small remarks:

1: Istanbul should be surrounded by both the seas, but looks only on the Black Sea

2: Some wonders may not be produced (Great Library, Oracle, The Great Lighthouse, Colossus, The Hanging Gardens)

3: I do not understand why all the city-states in Europe are military.

4: If you can add more victories than the military.

5: This is my thought, if one also adds Bulgaria as a city-state

Even India?

Particularly India. (On Shiggs´ map, which I´ve played more, India regularly controls Eurasia...) AI civs suck at colonizing across ocean, so they go for the nearest available land area - which in Asia is obviously northward.

I believe the Kruelgor's Huge Earth do not affect the tech tree.

May you confirm?

I believe you are correct. :)

I got crazy last night, no documentation, the map builder do not load if I click on map builder, no helpful tutorial, but the Chartage modification is here, at last.

I moved the Askia's Shongai civilization where city state Tunisia was located (only now I see I forget to rename the capital as Carthage grrr :-().
I moved the city state named Tunisia to a fertile spot near Egypt.
I put a wall into city state named Israel, becouse I want Israel survive between big empires as in the real History.
I put Istanbul surrounded by both the seas, as Devois89 asked.

Of course Kruelgor can make it better, but I can not wait.

Unzip it into your mods directory.
If you do not known it, search in your disk c "kruelgor", for example.

Attachments

• Kruelgor's Pippero Huge Earth (v 5).rar
    29.8 KB · Views: 155
Just got stomped by those Mongol horsemen. The extra warrior was of little value when two Mongol horsemen can sweep in and take the city (and the spearman and great general stationed inside) in one turn.

I got crazy last night, no documentation, the map builder do not load if I click on map builder, no helpful tutorial, but the Chartage modification is here, at last.

I moved the Askia's Shongai civilization where city state Tunisia was located (only now I see I forget to rename the capital as Carthage grrr :-().
I moved the city state named Tunisia to a fertile spot near Egypt.
I put a wall into city state named Israel, becouse I want Israel survive between big empires as in the real History.
I put Istanbul surrounded by both the seas, as Devois89 asked.

Of course Kruelgor can make it better, but I can not wait.

Unzip it into your mods directory.
If you do not known it, search in your disk c "kruelgor", for example.

You need new history books

Yes, Civ King, you are right.

I want simulate the rebellious nature of ancient Israel.
Israel was conquered by various empires at various times, but as soon as possible, it rebelled.
I tested my Israel with wall. The wall make survive Israel more rounds, but do not capture the rebellious flavour.
Any suggestions?

I tested the Askia's Shongai civilization as Carthage.

The real Carthage conquered Spaign and invaded Italy.
The Askia's Shongai civilization as Carthage lost his warrior fighting the barbarians
The worker has no land to cultivate or to improve.

Perhups if I change the warrior with a horseman then the barbarians can not win.
I must change the coastal land.

Any suggestions?

I recommend " Balance Open vs Rough Terrain" mod. Mounted units get penalties vs cities, full health units and fortified units. Also open terrain penalty reduced to 10%. This mod brings balance to military side of the game.
I enjoed playing Kruelgor's Huge Earth. From what I've tried it was the most realistic Earth map. After playing a few campaigns , I realized that map and resourses needed some changes. I've done some extensive work on map, topography adjustments, rivers and resourses. Some nations ( as England and China) needed more resourses to develop.

All adjustments done in line with actual Earth resourses. I used number of actual maps to accurately place them. Also I added Babylon, Aztecs and Iroq. as playable factions. The rest of North America will be occupaed by other tribes. Playing american factions will be the hardest. Adjusted some starting settings to better represent every culture. You can get reworked map below.

You can just rename the original one in case if you 'd want to go back.

Attachments

• Kruelgor's Huge Earth.7z
    13 KB · Views: 164
Kruelgor, first of all: GREAT MOD/MAP!

It really renewed my interest in Civ V and gives me hope for the future.

However, you should rename the city states to the city name of that tile. IMHO they are cities first and states second.

- Israel to Jerusalem
- Congo to Mbanza Kongo Aztecs to Tenochtitlán for example
- Ireland to Dublin
- Kazakhstan to Astana
- Etcetera to etcetera...

I would also like it if you include the capital of my country The Netherlands, which is called Amsterdam.

Kruelgor, first of all: GREAT MOD/MAP!

It really renewed my interest in Civ V and gives me hope for the future.

However, you should rename the city states to the city name of that tile. IMHO they are cities first and states second.

- Israel to Jerusalem
- Congo to Mbanza Kongo Aztecs to Tenochtitlán for example
- Ireland to Dublin
- Kazakhstan to Astana
- Etcetera to etcetera...

I would also like it if you include the capital of my country The Netherlands, which is called Amsterdam.

In my mind they are not "city states" but rather minor nations.

In my mind they are not "city states" but rather minor nations.

Thing is, no matter how you look at it, its still a city- this becomes most apparent when you capture one of these city states, and you have a city named "brazil" It just looks weird... Less so for places like israel, that on an earth-sized map corresponds to roughly the area of the actual state in one city; but for brazil, which covers a huuuge area in real life it doesnt make a lot of sense, especially if a european civ wants to capture 'brazil' and then colonize the rest of Brazil... then you have the country 'brazil' with a city called 'brazil' in it.

Maybe its just me (and that other guy) but consistency in "what is a city" would make the game look better.
And I have seen in for example "realnameearth mod" you can actually have a city named for example "Manila" and when you click on it, the Diplo window says "city state of Phillipines". I have seen that it's also possible to group several cities into one "city state" so they all share the same diplo window; which would be useful if you wanted a 'minor civ' with more than one city. I don't know how its done exactly but I think it would be a better solution :)

Top Bottom