Played the same map twice!

Oneshotki11

Chieftain
I was under the impression that the game was designed so that you could never play the same map twice. Well today I found out that was a lie when I played a map for the 2nd time. I knew where every item, special space, and artifact was located.

It was in a ranked match and the reason I remember it so well is because I played one of my best matches on that map about a month ago.

I wasn't aware this was possible and if this is common knowledge then I apologize ahead of time for the repeat thread.

Has this ever happened to someone else?

This has never happened to me. Strange. Thought the maps were generated with support of an algorithm and that they weren´t pre-made. Very strange.

It was the xbox360 version and I was also under the impression the maps were randomly generated, I'm telling you I knew everything. I even spawned in the exact same spot which is why I recognized it so fast.

I realized it after seeing the desert above my capital with 9 desert spots in total. I only once before seen that many deserts spots connected and it amazed me that it happened again. Then I went a little further south and noticed the mountain range that looked familar, finally after noticing the island below the mountain range I realized it was the same map. I started predicting where wheat and oil spots were going be before I even romoved the clounds and each time I was right.

Anyone else share this experience?

No I'm sure it was ranked FFA. Ranked FFA is the only thing I ever play. The sad thing is that even though I knew where everything was I still lost to the Romans. LoLz!

It happened to me at least 100-200 times that I played the same maps.. The maximum is like 5 per map

maybe by luck the same map generated twice? its like lightning hitting the same spot twice.

maybe by luck the same map generated twice? its like lightning hitting the same spot twice.

Well, I would say I know almost every map.. Maybe I can't remember the map because I started in another place, but I remember almost every map I have played (not the barbs villages, it's pretty difficult and it usually changes, I mean the capitals, where to go, etc..)

There are a finite amount of maps that the random generator can produce. So it is possible to get the same map twice, but it's not very common.

The maps are generated randomly. But the generating algorithm has various constraints, which limit the possible maps. These include the single allowable map size (small), the amount of ocean, etc. As frequently as some people play the game, it's not surprising that "the same map" crops up now and then.

No, it's very common

Well, that obviously depends on how you define "very common." It's guaranteed to happen if you play the game enough, but the average player won't experience it or won't realize it even if they do it experience it.

Well, that obviously depends on how you define "very common." It's guaranteed to happen if you play the game enough, but the average player won't experience it or won't realize it even if they do it experience it.

I would say after 200-300 games you notice it..

I recognize maps occasionally as having played on them before. Usually I'm on some other part of the map, so only recognize it after exploring a bit. Once, though, I had the same map in consecutive games on Deity. Same map, exact same starting location, different civ. I knew where the huts and other civs would be (they were different, too, but planted in the same locations). Because I knew the map from the moment I saw it, I decided to have fun and went for a horserush. I never save and reload for advantage, so I enjoyed every moment of shafting the AI in that game. :)

I play on the X-Box. After most GOTW's, when playing multiplayer against a friend, we usually "randomly" pull the GOTW map the next game or so we play. Resources tend to be slightly different, as well as start postitions, but the land and sea areas are identical. I have also recognized maps I have played before solo.

I do not think each map is truly randomly generated. I think there must be a set of base maps that they vary start locations, resources, etc. I may be wrong, but what I've seen would suggest it.

Top Bottom