RevCast Episode 06: "Your Light Snack"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication

Satisfying anytime. Regular co-hosts Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney, Joe "joebreeves" Reeves and Alexander "Alexander I" Strub are all apart of the sixth episode of RevCast (RC) a podcast focusing on Civilization: Revolution on its various platforms. "Your Light Snack", now netcasting with a runtime of 14m59s, is the show's first composite of archived segments. The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m14s | Topic #1
Comparing Civilization: Revolution with Civilization IV, bringing the former onto another console and possible historical connections.
- 09m16s | Topic #2
Up and down CivRev's difficulty levels in both practice and perception.
- 11m24s | Topic #3
Holding and losing Great People through various means with assorted benefits and consequences.

RevCast is the second spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast on which Barney serves as a regular co-host as well; the modding-centric ModCast was the first such spin-off. Unlike either of its older siblings, RC has no defined segment categories and follows a monthly as opposed to a bi-weekly production schedule.

Goodie gumdrops.

Do an episode dedicated to trashing the AI. That thing could use a patch or two.

Goodie gumdrops.
Glad you enjoyed the episode :), and thanks for continuing to listen.

Do an episode dedicated to trashing the AI. That thing could use a patch or two.
I'll alert the regular co-hosts to your request. :D

Is there a way to download these episodes to transfer them to CD? (Yes, I am a dork.) I haven't got to listen to them all yet but I would like to and my job has me on the road alot right now all over the midwest. I have listened to all my CDs a million times, and I got to thinking I would like to listen to Polycast and Modcast or this Revcast for something kinda fresh.

Good to see there is still at least somewhat of a community around this game. I plan to buy it today and I hoped that there were still people talking about it.

Is there a way to download these episodes to transfer them to CD? (Yes, I am a dork.)
:lol::goodjob:

I haven't got to listen to them all yet but I would like to and my job has me on the road alot right now all over the midwest. I have listened to all my CDs a million times, and I got to thinking I would like to listen to Polycast and Modcast or this Revcast for something kinda fresh.
Yes. Download their MP3s -- I recommend the standard (64kbps) versions -- and burn them to CD. To do so, click on the episodes' respective titles.

If your CD player supports MP3 format, and so too does your software to burn them as such, you can fit a lot of episodes onto a single CD; otherwise, you will need to burn them as a standard Audio CD. The latter still works, but will take more media to accomplish the task.

Good to see there is still at least somewhat of a community around this game. I plan to buy it today and I hoped that there were still people talking about it.
Welcome, new listener (I take it :)). Hope you enjoyed this episode; the five other episodes produced to date remain available for download.

This game goes by WAY to fast... 100 years a turn in th eancient era!?!?
It can take some getting used to, but I find it a welcome change of pace from the PC-based Civ titles when I'm in the mood.

Topic #1 Comparing Civilization: Revolution with Civilization IV

I feel Civ Rev is closer to the earlier Civs (which I've played), although there are still simplifications and enhancements (like armies and culture).

One big advantage for the 360/PS3 versions is you can play them on your giant HDTV.

Topic #2 Up and down CivRev's difficulty levels in both practice and perception.

I quickly ramped up to King, tried Emperor then went back to King. Now I'm back to Emperor as my King games were ending with overwhelming victories. My wife has recently moved up from Warlord to King, but is having difficulty getting through the mid-game wars without alot of assistance. My son (8) plays on Chieftan.

What I find interesting is how you may have to change your playstyle as you advance the difficulty level. Obviously the Chieftan/Warlord bonuses make a war strategy much easier than on King. But on King I got used to being able to explore and expand for many turns before having to worry about the AI, whereas on Emperor the AI also starts exploring early making capital defense necessary and reducing the number of available goody huts.

The Game of the Week also tends to be more challenging than a typical single player game of the same level - for the few games I've tried to play on King.

Topic #3 Holding and losing Great People through various means with assorted benefits and consequences.

I don't recall the AI ever demanding a GP which I've used for the one time bonus - only those I've settled or which I haven't used yet. PS3 quirk, or maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Although I haven't used it significantly, raiding the AIs for GPs looks like a reasonable tactic when trying for a Cultural Victory. The fact that you can see the flags in the AI cities definitely makes it easier. Simply put a defensive army, a veteran spy ring, and a bunch of spies on boat and go visit any civs you are at war with. The spy ring will take care of any defensive spies, and then you can use a single spy to kidnap the GP.

Knowing the status of each AI is very valuable when the AI proposes a tech trade. Probably not a good idea to trade Monarchy to a Civ which is already fat with Culture.

One big advantage for the 360/PS3 versions is you can play them on your giant HDTV.
:D

I don't have a giant HDTV, and the DS version only, but when I play previewed it, I got to experience that first-hand.

Topic #2 Up and down CivRev's difficulty levels in both practice and perception.
I've played five games of CivRev to date: first Warlord, King for the next three, and Emperor for the last two. By comparison, my current CivIV difficulty level is Prince. (I chose Warlord to start primarily because of never having used a handheld console before, and with very limited console experience period.)

I've never played any of the GOTWs, and I don't anticipate that I will, so I don't have anything to contribute on that front.

Topic #3 Holding and losing Great People through various means with assorted benefits and consequences.

I don't recall the AI ever demanding a GP which I've used for the one time bonus - only those I've settled or which I haven't used yet. PS3 quirk, or maybe I haven't been paying attention.
In my limited play experience, same, and I'd venture to say that it's not just as a PS3 quirk.

Knowing the status of each AI is very valuable when the AI proposes a tech trade. Probably not a good idea to trade Monarchy to a Civ which is already fat with Culture.
Indeed. :lol: I tend to avoid getting into trade deals with AIs almost always.

Top Bottom