Noob to CivRev needs advice for CivRev for iPad

stwils

Emperor
I first got Civ 2. I could not get into it. Then right before Civ3 came out, I got a CD in a game magazine with Civ 1 for windows on it - and life has never been the same!
Then I got Civ3 and played succession games on this site, and it was a wonderful experience.

But Civ 1 was so wonderfully abstract I could not quit playing. I love the game.

So now I just bought the Apple iPad, and the first thing I got from iTunes was CivRev. It is a beautiful looking game on the iPad, and I am very happy to have it.

But it is so different. Map is smaller. Units are bigger. Etc etc etc. And you control it all with a tap of the finger on the screen!

Now to start with, please explain to me about the choice of civilizations. They seem to each come with something special right at the start. Am I right? Which ones for a noob like me would you suggest? (I chose Japan because I love samurai movies, but is that a good first civ to choose?)

And boats. Those were my favorites of former civs. You could load them up and set off and explore. Great fun. But in CivRev I am not sure you can put anyone on a galley. Can you? In fact, I am having a hard time in the game I am playing even getting a galley.

How do you delete a saved game? Do you just overwrite it with a new game?

Where should I go to learn more?

CivRev on the iPad is fun but I am not good at it yet.

I will tell you all, the Apple iPad is the best thing since sliced bread!

stwils

Japan is an okay civ to start with. They aren't super great, but the seafood advantage is nice. The Aztecs are often a good starter civ because you start with 25 gold (and thus can rush a warrior immediately) and have the auto-heal advantage.

I only have the xbox 360 version, so I don't know about saving games or anything like that on the ipad, as I assume it's different. One the 360 I have the option to delete saves but I don't play single player much so I've only ever had one save that I just overwrite if for some reason I have a game I want to pick up later (doesn't happen often).

For basic strategy, you need to manage your workers and you need to out-expand the AI (either by building your own cities or taking theirs). Once you learn to do those things, the game gets kind of easy. There are some strategies on this site and several more over at forums.2kgames.com. Pick one of those and try it. If something isn't making sense, it's easier to answer specific questions.

Like for example, yes, you can put units in boats. There's actually no limit. You could put 500 tank armies in a galley if you wanted to spend all the time building them all and loading them up just to have done it. There's probably no other reason to do this though. Also, that's really mean to your galley slaves. Imagine trying to row 1500 tanks around in a little boat!

Yeh Japanese are very good but I WOULD rank these the best...
1 Romans- for easy and early expansion and the 1/2 cost wonders + more GP
2 Aztecs - 3 science in temples ( i always make a temple my priority) auto heal good 4 domination
3 Zulu - overrun combat advantage (easy city capture in 5 turns) and 2 movement for impi warrior
4 Greeks - Hoplites at the start, and courthouse
5 Japanese- 1 food at the start from sea tiles and the +1 samaraui attack :)

as for your saving and deleting dilemma i have no clue :lol:

I'm going to pass on CivRev on iPad since I don't want a 1st gen iPad and I already played CivRev quite a bit on Xbox 360.

I am really looking forward to CivRev2 on iPad 3rd gen though.

You can load all land units on all boats except for subs. Subs and galleys don't provide naval support. And unlike previous versions of Civ, subs are fully visible.

Note: it is possible to transfer units from one boat to an adjacent boat.

Top Bottom