How well has CivRev been patched?

GlobularFoody

Warlord
I recently bought another 360 and thought of trying CivRev again but worried that the problems I saw are still around. Is the AI still really annoying doing nothing but ganging up on the player? I don't mind being attacked randomly but every game was exactly the same; meet civ...civ makes stupid demands...civ declares war until I wipe out said civ. Do they still demand ridiculous trades? Is the bug where the AI produced infinite units from a naval vessels still there? Do the AI leaders have any personality now? They were all warmongers when I played at the game's release.

That's about all I can remember. I downloaded the demo again and had some fun with it and hoping they finally fixed the game.

There hasn't been a patch for CivRev for a long time and the problems you list still very much apply to the latest patch. It's a brilliant game but the single player part of the game is a flawed gem at best.

Oh well. I was hoping to play CivRev while waiting for Civ 5 to be released. It's a shame they never fixed the game, it could have been great.

I recently bought another 360 and thought of trying CivRev again but worried that the problems I saw are still around. Is the AI still really annoying doing nothing but ganging up on the player? I don't mind being attacked randomly but every game was exactly the same; meet civ...civ makes stupid demands...civ declares war until I wipe out said civ. Do they still demand ridiculous trades? Is the bug where the AI produced infinite units from a naval vessels still there? Do the AI leaders have any personality now? They were all warmongers when I played at the game's release.

That's about all I can remember. I downloaded the demo again and had some fun with it and hoping they finally fixed the game.

Patch 1.3 was intended to make the AI less likely to gang up on the player and more likely to war amongst themselves. I have no clue how that worked because the main flaw in the single player game is that it's just too easy, even on the hardest level.

The AI was never able to produce infinite units from naval vessels, but they can teleport units which is why you observed this behavior. It's not a bug. It was designed that way (don't ask me why). The units get hammered out or bought as normal though. The AI personality is really mostly dictated by what techs they have. For example, the Greeks will be really passive because they have Democracy, while the Indians get aggressive because of Fundamentalism.

I almost never play the SP game, but when I do it's just to see how quickly I can win. It's not really very challenging once you learn how to deal with the stupid AI. Playing against other humans is far more interesting to me.

Well, what I didn't like most of all was not the difficulty of the AI. It was that every single game was exactly the same no matter how I played. If I went for a peaceful cultural or scientific victory, the AI didn't care how nicely I treated them they always declared war on me. Every game ended up with all the other civs at war with me and never at war with each other. I would always have to hold back killing off all the AI civs just to see the ending I wanted.

If they would've just fixed that I would at least rent the game again.

Well, what I didn't like most of all was not the difficulty of the AI. It was that every single game was exactly the same no matter how I played. If I went for a peaceful cultural or scientific victory, the AI didn't care how nicely I treated them they always declared war on me. Every game ended up with all the other civs at war with me and never at war with each other. I would always have to hold back killing off all the AI civs just to see the ending I wanted.

If they would've just fixed that I would at least rent the game again.

Yeah, the AI is programmed to try to stop you from winning instead of just sitting idly by while you do. I guess it's a matter of taste.

To get the AIs to behave more like individuals you pretty much have to bribe them to go to war against each other. Even then there are only certain strategies that work well, and you'll always end up in a position where the type of victory you win is a matter of late game choice instead of a result of the type of civilization you've tried to build.

Yeah, the AI is programmed to try to stop you from winning instead of just sitting idly by while you do. I guess it's a matter of taste.

Yep.

Nope. The AI is programmed to be as annoying as possible to the player. They don't care what the other AI civs are doing, they focus completely on the player. I played many games when I first got it where an AI civ was going to win and the others still focused on warring with me.

I don't even care anymore, civ 5 is a month away...the console kids can have this garbage all to themselves.

Yep.

Nope. The AI is programmed to be as annoying as possible to the player. They don't care what the other AI civs are doing, they focus completely on the player. I played many games when I first got it where an AI civ was going to win and the others still focused on warring with me.

I don't even care anymore, civ 5 is a month away...the console kids can have this garbage all to themselves.

CivRev isn't a game of diplomacy. Really the diplomacy/AI personality parts of the game might as well have been left off and the game would make a lot more sense in some ways if you were always at war (in teams, you are always at war with everyone except your teammate and it kind of just flows better). With that in mind, I don't think it's that great a SP game, unless you like just teching/building away as the AI is pretty ignorable once you get good at the game.

The game is good for online play. Human opponents are the only reasonable challenge to be had. The Deity level in CivRev is a really far cry from Deity in Civ IV.

Top Bottom