Is history totally fake?

It does seem ridiculous, especially as we're then being asked to believe that somehow technology and culture expanded from Classical to Renaissance in just 50 or so years, yet "legitimate" recorded history has spent the same length of time not doing that much more.

(And of course it makes "history" more Eurocentric than all of Paradox's games put together.)

I didn't realize this came off as serious to people. Honestly I just made it to poke fun.

Last edited:
Less plausible? Heh.

"Moreover, we have some rather disappointing things to tell you about the pyramids, the works of Leonardo da Vinci, penicillin, the Internet, the scientific method, movies, and dogs."

I chuckled at that one.

A chap with a metal detector has just found the largest ever haul of 4th Century Roman coins in Britain. I thought it was appropriate for this thread. :)

You mean 14th century Russian coins.

I suppose if you're going to forge thousands of coins and not even bother engraving them in Cyrillic, of course you bury them in Devon, a county not generally known for its extensive Roman discoveries.

The Dark Ages is a dead concept among actual historians, and I'll bet that it's just as 'dark' for a lot of people on the continent.

If your people weren't up to non-boorish things of particular relevance to anybody but them in a period of history it is an appealing idea to deny and ignore that period.

That's why Anglopherians have this weird concept of the "dark ages" while the French, Germans, Poles, Dutch, Italians, Danes and Iberians largely kinda don't.
Fundamentally that's the same thing. That Fomenko dude is just stepping it up a notch. :p

The Dark Ages is a dead concept among actual historians, and I'll bet that it's just as 'dark' for a lot of people on the continent.

I think (and I bet guys like Dachs and Owen could elaborate as they are paying more attention to stuff like this) the Dark Ages concept is losing steam in the Anglosphere, to the point where it is filtering down from colleges to regular schools.

Even when I was at school it wasn't very heavily emphasised. In Europe, at least, I think it's really a Franco-German thing, because for them a "Dark Ages" emphasises the glories of the Holy Roman Empire and thus plays into national mythology, but in the British countries, national mythology starts in the "Dark Age" kingdoms, so there's a certain reluctance to present them as some dung-encrusted void.

I think it's more that national mythology is quite absent from the 'dark ages' kingdoms, so they don't bother at all - when I was at school, English history began in 1066 and largely featured fighting wars with Frenchmen.

I did the Romans, the Normans, literally half a page on Saxons and Vikings, some stuff on castles and I don't remember much else about pre-GCSE History, whereupon I did Elizabethan England and Mary, Queen of Scots, some thoroughly forgettable stuff on local Cotswold canals, a piece on Northern Ireland (just after the time of the Downing Street Declaration, no less) and our major GCSE piece on the history of medicine, from trepanning to the modern day.

Even when I was at school it wasn't very heavily emphasised. In Europe, at least, I think it's really a Franco-German thing, because for them a "Dark Ages" emphasises the glories of the Holy Roman Empire and thus plays into national mythology, but in the British countries, national mythology starts in the "Dark Age" kingdoms, so there's a certain reluctance to present them as some dung-encrusted void.

Surprisingly, I never heard 'Holy Roman Empire' pass once at history lessons during High School. The closest thing we had was the Frankish Empire which is a rather incorrect name to describe the Carolignian Empire that slightly perceded it.

Yes and it's more plausible than this idea, if only because it supposes that a shorter period of time was faked.

, and I'll bet that it's just as 'dark' for a lot of people on the continent.

Erm, but you do get that if it isn't (or not enough anyway) you'd have hilariously demonstrated my point, right?

Top Bottom