*HIGHLY reproducable* Crash on sighting krakatoa

civzombie

Prince
I have a strange bug that started a few months ago, and its HIGHLY reproducable.

When I discover krakatoa (for example, I have my first astronomy boat), I lose all video. To be clear, I get the screen saying I discovered another natural wonder, and a short time after I press OK I loose video and have to hard reboot.

Any ideas on how to fix this? What I have done in the games I have played is avoid. I reload to just before I found Krakatoa, sail around it so as to not reveal it. Its annoying to have a chunk of the map that you cannot explore, but no crashes if I do this.

Thanks fellow civers

I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you, other than that you could validate the game files, but I don't know if that would help anything.

Heerlo - thanks for posting. I read about how to do the validation, and performed it, but all files were validated without a problem (no issue was discovered)

To anyone else reading this thread, is there a way I can just work around the issue by disabling krakatoa from appearing in any new games? That would be fine with me - there are enough other natural wonders. Just so I dont get this annoying crash anymore!

This could be a video problem. Please post your DxDiag file. The instructions for how to do so may be found here

Thanks for posting your DxDiag. It shows that your video driver is dated 9/9/2010. That's very old and could be the source of your problem. You should update it to the most recent version. I suggest first going to HP's site and looking for a newer driver there. If they don't have one, or their updated driver doesn't help, then go to AMD (who owns ATI, the manufacturer of your video device) and search there. Please post again if you need more advice on any of this, or if updating doesn't help.

(Why would the game stop working with an older video driver when it worked before? Probably one of the patches caused your problem. 2K Games/Firaxis optimizes Civ5 for the most recent drivers, and that can cause older drivers to fail.)

The driver I have is the newest from HP's site.

In the past when I have tried to installer newer graphics drivers directly from AMD, my switchable graphics broke. Specifically, the system would switch graphics cards without my control, which was obviously a disaster for gaming as one is the intel integrated graphics. So I am reluctant to try that again.

It seems like I have two choices - broken switchable graphics or broken krakatoa. I guess that the later is less disruptive.

Still, does anyone have any ideas on editing a game file to prevent krakatoa from ever appearing in any of my new games?

Is this YouTube video useful? I think the author explains how to force a game to use AMD graphics instead of Intel.

For disabling Krakatoa, you probably should ask in the Creation and Customization forum.

Top Bottom