Strange Graphics Issues

WackyJack

Chieftain
I recently purchased the "Civ 5 Complete Edition" disk, which in turn let me download it through Steam. I have played the game some, and some strange issues are occurring. All of the moving (animated) resources are extremely screwed up, with with large, blocky lines extending from the resource to infinity. This does not happen with stationary resources, such as copper, only with animated ones like cattle or horses.

I am running Windows 8 64-bit with 4gb ram, 3.066 processor.

Have you tried validating the files under the game properties in Steam? That happens sometimes after an update and file corruption.

You may also want to check to see if there is an updated GPU graphics driver.

I validated the local game files, still same issues. Also, when I start the game up, it stays on the BNW intro screen for about 3 minutes. Is that normal? I checked for an updated graphics driver, but I have a Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset, whose drivers aren't compatible with windows 8.1. I also own Civ 4, which uses animated resources, so why are they rendered properly?

Did anything download when you validated? If it did, then you have to keep validating till it says, "All files successfully validated". Then do it a few more times, and if it downloads more files, do it again until it give the same message without downloading more files. If you are running a huge swap file on the hard drive, it may take a while to get the necessary file fixed.

If it is a driver issue, then you may be stuck with the issue until there are drivers that are compatible with 8.1. If you added windows 8.1 yourself you could try forcing a newer graphics driver. You should be able to restore it, if it does not work, if you are comfortable in experimenting.

If it takes that long to load the game, then your computer is just above the minimum, or it could be even under. If you could add more Ramm, to the 4gb, it may speed things up slightly also.

I validated the files three more times, and the same thing happened. Slow loading time, messed up animated resources. I know a little about computers (changing RAM, that sort of thing) but I have never dealt with video cards. How would I force a newer graphics driver?

I don't think it's the RAM, because the 4gb meets the recommended requirements, and easily surpasses the minimum. The only other issue I have had with Civ games was when I installed the Modern Earth 2012 mod for civ 4; when I did that, it took my computer forever to load it and the gameplay was unbearably slow.

Also, why do the animated resources in Civ 4 work and the ones in 5 don't? Doesn't make sense to me.

First off, there are two separate issues here. Graphics and Speed (load time or turn time).

The 2Gb minimum is for the vanilla version and strategic view. If you play in strategic view, your game would play faster and there would be no graphic issues. You have not said what happens when you validate your files. Does it just say, "All files verified" or does it download a file.

The only suggestion is to try changing the GPU settings one at time and see if anything changes. If one is set at low, trying changing it up to high, not just the ones on high.

It would also help if you could do a dx diag. or at least whether it is a laptop or desktop. Heat could also be a issue, or failing graphics.

Ok, every time I ran the steam validation, it said "All files verified." Also, I just ran a Dxdiag (thanks for the instructions) and saved the results as a text file. Here is a link to the results of my Dxdiag. Hope this helps. http://1drv.ms/1rXTb2S

To answer timtofly's question, it is a desktop.

Being a desktop, and HP, the good thing is that they give a list of GPU cards that you can add, for a better experience:

•ATI Radeon HD 4350 (512MB) FH PCIe x16 Card

•ATI Radeon HD 4550 (256MB) DH PCIe x16 Graphics Card

•ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB Dual Head PCIe x16 Card

•NVIDIA GeForce G210 512MB ATX PCIe x16

•NVIDIA GeForce GT230 1.5GB PCIe x16 Card

You could also speed things up installing 2 more 2GB RAMM. Hopefully your current memory is not 4 1GB RAMM.

It does not seem to be file corruption.

I have searched and it does not seem that either Intel nor HP have drivers that are newer than your current driver. One bad thing about HP.

You can open the case and make sure that the fans are as dust free as you can get them. That would rule out a heat issue. You may be able to run the memory through some test. HP diagnostics.

You can review the list of above GPU to see if it is feasible to add a GPU. Here is the Memory that you would purchase for upgrade: •8GB DDR3 Synch DRAM PC3-10600 (1066/1333 MHz) Non-ECC (4 x 2GB) This means that you need to purchase in 2GB DIMMS. The MOBO may not support any size higher than that. Unless someone knows different RAMM will work, it is probably best to go with HP specs. It would rule out any errors that may be introduced by going outside HP specs.

Top Bottom