RAM Question (really technical)

angelus512

Warlord
To my stunned surprise as I was about to buy civ5 i realised i've only got only 2GB or RAM. Everything else is gold for the game but only 2GB of RAM.

Needless to say I was stunned as I always figured id put 4GB in the machine when I made it but I guess Im wrong.

Anyways im going to grab me 2 kingston 2GB each 677 DDR2 ram modules therefore 4GB in total.

Having said that I still have 2 x 1GB 677 DDR2 Kingston RAM chips im using now and I have 4 DDR slots.

If i put 2 x 2GB DDR677 RAM chips into 2 channels and 2 x1GB DDR667 ram chips in the other thereby creating 6GB RAM total is my computer going to wig out on me? Is it possible to do that?

I run Windows 7 64bit, in hindsight god knows why when ive been walking around with 2GB RAM....stunned I never noticed.

If i put 2 x 2GB DDR677 RAM chips into 2 channels and 2 x1GB DDR667 ram chips in the other thereby creating 6GB RAM total is my computer going to wig out on me? Is it possible to do that?

It SHOULD be working alright (dual channel active), but you never know if a board will act up ;)

You cannot lose, really. You are running single-channel now, and you will be running single-channel with 3x2 Gb.

Running dual-channel, 2x2 Gb, might give you a better performance, especially with an Intel CPU (AMD's CPUs are not as dependent on memory bandwidth).

You cannot lose, really. You are running single-channel now, and you will be running single-channel with 3x2 Gb.
Uhm, no :confused:
Now it's 2x1GB dual channel.
If it works it will be:
Channel 1: 1+2 GB
Channel 2: 1+2 GB

If it semi-works, you will get 6GB single channel, but I would prefer 4GB dual channel over that option ;)

To my stunned surprise as I was about to buy civ5 i realised i've only got only 2GB or RAM. Everything else is gold for the game but only 2GB of RAM.

Needless to say I was stunned as I always figured id put 4GB in the machine when I made it but I guess Im wrong.

Anyways im going to grab me 2 kingston 2GB each 677 DDR2 ram modules therefore 4GB in total.

Having said that I still have 2 x 1GB 677 DDR2 Kingston RAM chips im using now and I have 4 DDR slots.

I run Windows 7 64bit, in hindsight god knows why when ive been walking around with 2GB RAM....stunned I never noticed.
if you have it set up

2x1GB
2x2GB

it will not only be fine, but it will also give dual channel,

if you have it set up

2x1GB
2x2GB

it will not only be fine, but it will also give dual channel,

Yep. Dual channel is managed separately for each pair of slots. The only thing the OP has to watch out for is making sure the sticks are matched.

There's no reason why this wouldn't work (in fact I intend to do something similar for my next upgrade, get a bit less RAM at first to save a few quid). Of course, computers don't need a reason to fail so you never know, but I'd be very surprised if this was a problem. Just make sure you pair them correctly so dual channel works, but presumably the 1GB sticks are already paired so you can't go wrong unless you remove them.

Top Bottom