Computer freezes when starting Civ5

Supercookies

Chieftain
After choosing which directx I want to play on, the menu closes and then without any warning signs it just freezes my computer.
Also it won't let me choose dx10 even though I have vista and dx10 installed.
Is there a fix to this?

When I start a game it crashes while the guy is telling me about my Civ! I have a Dell XPS 630i, Windows Vista (64 bit & SP2), 8 GB of RAM, DirectX 11, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 3.0GHz, and an ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series. I was able to start my first game fine, I believe there were 5 Civs total on a huge map. Then I did 6, then 22. On the one with 22 it kicked me out and stopped working! I will try one with small amount of civs again.

BTW when it kicked me out, Steam said that Civ 5 was syncing. It never stopped saying that. I've since restarted my computer and it still didn't work.

Will this be fixed? I know for sure that it isn't my computers fault.

OK, just tried it again with only a few Civs. Still didn't work.

BTW DirectX 9 works just fine. I will have to play it with this for now, but look forward to when I can play with DX11. And again it worked on my first few games, the first night I played until 1:30in the morning.

There are some problems with big maps and/or many civs, that problem is known, but not yet the fix.

After choosing which directx I want to play on, the menu closes and then without any warning signs it just freezes my computer.
Also it won't let me choose dx10 even though I have vista and dx10 installed.
Is there a fix to this?

Please post your system specifications.

And welcome to CFC :).

Video Card: Geforce GTX295
Processor: Intel q9450
Mobo: Gigabyte EP35-DS3
Ram: 4gb

I have the Civ V DVD. I already had a steam account. Installing was a bit weird, as for quite awhile my steam client refused to connect to steam, despite a perfectly functioning high-speed internet connection. My son, a TF2 fanatic, advised "oh just wait awhile -- Steam registration servers just "go away" for long periods of time". He was right -- after about 30 minutes, the Steam client connected and registration completed. Aggro, but no real harm.

Got Civ 5 working and played about 200 turns into a game as Arabia. (I think the game was version 1.0.0.7 at the start screen) What fun! (This was on Thursday 9/23). Unfortunately on Friday the game had updated to 1.0.0.17 and now it didn't work anymore. I have the "hangs up in the initial loading screen" problem (when your leader is doing his introduction speech). Oddly, about 1 game in 10 doesn't get hung up, but since this hang can only be cleared by a reset, this is unworkable.

Admittedly, my system is marginal, and I've bitten the bullet and gone ahead and ordered upgrade parts, but I'm disappointed and mystified why the game was fine initially, but after the upgrades is now unplayable.

My system specs are:
Spoiler :

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/24/2010, 21:41:09
Machine name: GAMECOMPUTER
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-57 Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Page File: 853MB used, 4103MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7950 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0295&SUBSYS_220719F1&REV_A1
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8151 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 1/16/2009 03:42:00, 6172032 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Didn't fix the problem for me.
Also I haven't been able to play civ5 at all, not even once.
The process starts and then it freezes my computer so I'm forced to restart it.

The 1.0.0.20 update came through, so I decided to try again. Loading a 1.0.0.17 save file resulted in the same behavior -- system hang on the game loading screen (with or without sound on -- makes no difference). I tried starting a new game and this worked. Initially I tried on a small map, and then later went back to a standard map. I can now start games and load 1.0.0.20 saved games without the system hang at the game load screen (when your leader is displayed).

However, I now experience a repeatable CTD upon meeting my first other civ. I can meet a city state with no problem, but the first other civ I meet causes a black screen and then a CTD. I assume it is crashing as it attempts to load the leader screen. My specs were posted earlier -- they are near the minimums (but not below) and I'm running XP/SP3, with English as my OS language.

This update (.20) seems like a tiny step in the right direction, but the games I played initially (version 1.0.0.7) did not have the CTD upon meeting another civ problem.

Top Bottom