Requests for new components (and features)

Hi there---I just came back from a hiatus after getting all nostalgic for CivIV upon reading too many CivV reviews :mischief:. Anyway, forgive my ignorance of how you handle all these requests, but I came back to check on my request from back in March '08 to add an option to autosave at the end instead of beginning of a turn. I found it on the tracking site here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1881394&group_id=202755&atid=982857
Just curious, was it given a "no-can-do"? Not trying to pester you guys, but I'd love to re-open the case if you think it's feasible. Thanks again for your awesome work!

add an option to autosave at the end instead of beginning of a turn.

I recently played a huge game which was too much for my machine and ended up having a good chance of crashing after several turns. I can confirm that having an end-turn autosave would be a useful addition, though it shouldn't replace the begin-of-turn autosave (just in case that was part of the suggestion, which I don't know). Both ways are useful. I actually ended up saving the game every time before ending the turn, while having autosave still switched on. When the game would crash during the inter-turn, I could reload the manual save, and when it crashed just at the beginning of my new turn (which often happens, having to load leader graphics for a diplo exchange is one possible reason), I could load the autosave. Depending on the situation, this was a 5-15 minutes timesaver.

When involved in big wars towards the end of the game, I usually make "half saves". I save at the end of the turn, and in the middle after city management, but before troop moves. I don't see how an end turn autosave helps any more than that.

It would be automatic which is the key. I added an AutoSave feature which I think partially came from the HOF mod while making BUFFY. It requires BULL (or BUFFY), and I honestly don't recall if there's a "before end of turn" save feature in it. :blush: If not, I think it's possible by I have so little free time right now--and I haven't had a chance to do any modding of 5 yet. :(

Added a new request to the Sourceforge tracker:
Source: War alerts: central intelligence agency

Content:
Spoiler :
Have you ever been attacked surprisingly with 4 galleons full of units in a place where you could have seen easily the enemy? You were enjoying the music and overlooked these 4 galleons near your best city owned by that nation which hates you....

At this moment there is only an option (over the map in the interface) which shows you as a tool-tip with its icon where an enemy unit is placed within or near your cultural border. Useful for big maps when you are arlready in war against a civ which could have units in remote places, it prevents unnecessary losses of workers for ex.

The idea, expanding this basic concept, is to show the player warnings in a striking way but to anticipate dangerous situations, not only when the bomb has already made "bang" .
The option I have mentioned only is applicable to units whose owner are in war with you but... what about these possible surprise attack which are pretty obvious? You could have 1 or 2 turns if you are sharp.

As a part of the Espionage and Military advisory, your intelligence should be able to tell you situations which could be dangerous for your nation.
The human can overlook these 5 transports in a remote tile, these 40 units in a stack adjacent to your cultural border which appeared the last turn, those nukes mysteriously near, .... but where are the advisors when that happens? They only seem to know how to tell you that you should build a library.

The game could have a screen which shows you exactly that sort of things which in fact will not "tell" you anything you can not know being ultra-careful and making the checks by yourself. The information is already visible on the map or other parts, but too mixed to be able to obtain the necessary info easily.

The method:

-Check the units which are in the line of sight of your cultural borders:

• "yellow" warnings are 2 or more transports near your borders owned by friendly nations.
  • "red" warnings are " " " " " owned by neutral/hostile nations.
  • "yellow" warnings are 4 or more military naval units near your borders owned by neutral/hostile nations.
  • "yellow" warnings are 5 or more land units (only military units) adjacent to your borders owned by neutral nations. ( is enough checking stacks, not individual units)
  • "red" warnings are 3 or more land units (only military units) adjacent to your borders owned by hostile nations. ( is enough checking stacks, not individual units)
  • Transports include: any unit with cargo space (galleons, aircraft carrier, submarines, ...)
-Other customizations:

• The checks can be enabled/disabled according to open borders as an additional option. Usually these situations only lead to war for those civs that you don't have open borders with.
  • In general the checks are only necessary out of the borders. Adjacent tiles in land and any tile in the line of sight in coastal zones.
  • Disable/enable for specific civs. Disable/enable for specific zones or borders near "x" cities.
-Additional info that can be checked and showed:

• Visible nukes in the proximity which can be used within your borders. Check the range.
  • Check the num of nukes a civ owns. (already in military advisor).
    When that number exceeds a limit (imposed by the user), a civ becomes the nation which has more nuclear armament or a nation increase the number of these weapons in a significant way.
    Just a warning telling you 'x' nation is becoming a world nuclear danger for the rest according to these type of dynamic changes.
  • Real statistic of espionage. Number of spies you captured per nation, successful missions in your nation, unknown spies captured, .... just statistic of what the enemy is doing with its spies in your nation. To know against which nation you should increase your efforts.
    It's not the same the relation between your percentage and the AI percentage showed in the espionage advisor and the "real" espionage between 2 nations. In general non connected nations will not use spies neither perform missions. At this moment the only way to see these things is revising the long, long log or memorizing every entry related with spies.
  • Check changes in the relation of the nation's strength: the percentage showed in the scores. Just a check when the relation variates in a significant way (obviously only when the AI is stronger). In general: when you reaches the 1.0 ratio, as soon as you are below that ratio, etc..

-Type of warnings showed and how to manage the info:

• Messages in the log (like the warnings for starvation, etc.) which tells you the type of warning (color code), number of units, transport or land units, civ and location. Ex:. "Dangerous concentrations of troops have been spotted in our borders: 4 naval transports near the coastal zone of New York"
    (same for "visible nukes possible activity" and the changes in the strength ratio)
  • Tool-tips in the map as I mentioned for all the cases written.
  • Only for "red warnings" and/or "yellow warnings", a message window as any other advisor message which requires user intervention.
  • A new section in the espionage window, or just a new advisor window, which should include all the warnings in a comprehensible way, and if made, all the additional info that can be checked.

@Isabelxxx - These are some very excellent ideas. I can see a lot of possibility here such as a new Military Advisor page/section that highlights all possible dangers on the minimap for all leaders so you can see them at a glance.

I see a definite split between military intelligence and espionage. BUG currently shows you the difference in EP spending for all AIs. This makes it possible to figure out who poisoned your well on the turn it happens. A history would be very helpful no doubt.

Thanks, I hope to see that integrated.
I only suggested a few points which I consider the more basic and helpful considering the lacks of vanilla in theses aspects and new things that other mods add and therefore the needed of more info panels in military or espionage screens , but as you have noted there are many possibilities.

@EF:

Along with Isabelxxx's ideas, it would be nice if the information presented could pop up in a more noticeable way. I tend to often miss Civ4Alerts on the top of the screen. It would be really nifty if very important announcements had a more visual indicator. The Civ5 method is interesting, but it's overkill, and I'm not sure it would be possible with Civ4, anyway, but something that catches your attention in a similar way would be really spiffy.

There is a mod component that puts heaps of stuff onto a screen with multiple tabs. It isn't automatic like the alerts, rather the user has to open the screen. I'll see if I can find a link.

Thanks ruff. I'm looking into that on the weekend, along with a bunch of other Civ things. :)

Don't get too carried away - I don't like the execution. Idea good, execution bad. I was thinking that we could do exactly the same thing but put it on a screen with tabs (similar to our options pages) where each tab was different (trade, war, cities, etc).

Much of the information we have thanks to the EFA. I could see creating a totally new Trade Advisor that took the TECHS and RESOURCES tabs from the EFA and added new ones for other tradeable items.

Don't get too carried away - I don't like the execution. Idea good, execution bad. I was thinking that we could do exactly the same thing but put it on a screen with tabs (similar to our options pages) where each tab was different (trade, war, cities, etc).
Me? Get excited? Are we going shopping?

No? Pffft! :p

Fear not, that sort of thing is a little bit beyond me ATM. :D

shopping - sure ... what do you want to get? Do you want me to start saying NO now or should I wait until later?

PS: Is your sig (BAT 3.0 has been recalled until further notice. Sorry for the inconvenience) still accurate?

shopping - sure ... what do you want to get? Do you want me to start saying NO now or should I wait until later?
Forget it. I'll take your wife. I'll bet she understands. :p

PS: Is your sig (BAT 3.0 has been recalled until further notice. Sorry for the inconvenience) still accurate?
Yup. I was busy tonight and didn't get it uploaded. I'm hoping tomorrow...

Compromise said:
You have to guesstimate what your effective research rate is by examining the research bar since you aren't given that information outright anywhere.

At least I don't know of anywhere.... Hey Ruff: this is another potential BUFFY improvement! Add the 'effective beakers this turn for the selected tech' to the Research/Commerce page (F2).
True enough - it is easy to work out by hovering this turn and next over the tech so it isn't unaltered game play. I'll put it in our 'things to add' thread. We could also put it on the main screen ...

Tech: slider / slider (+123 / +145)

... with the second number being the actual beakers added to the tech.

Hi

Is it possible to also upload BUG, BAT and BULL on the civfanatics server?

So every user could download it with one click.

Sorry for my bad english.

2nd Runner

Is there a problem downloading it from sourceforge.net?

my pc crashes on sourceforge.net.

I uninstalled BUG when I uninstalled BTS because it didn't worked.
Now I can't go to sourceforge.net anymore...

It works with every other COM which I tried so it's a problem with my computer.

But is there a problem to upload it on the server too?

greets
2nd Runner

btw: the Fanatics smilies are perfect: :king::crazyeye::run:

Much better than the smilies of civforum.de :D

Top Bottom