FfH 2 Manual

New version up. Fixed a few very minor typos, a couple rather major ones, and have finished half of the work converting the icons to work with a new background. Let me know what your thoughts are on how it looks. Of special concern is knowing if you can read the Religion color now (look in the Infernal's section for lots of use of that color to test it out), and if people are colorblind (If you see a blank spot where some text should be, try highlighting it ;))

Unfortunately I may already be at the limit of upload size for PDFs :( I know most limits are 10 MB, but I think that zips are allowed to go up to 30, so future versions may have to be zipped :(

Zipping it might bring the size down quite a bit ya. I recommend .7z but only if you link to a program that can unpack em. Newest winzip and winrar might be able though.

Yeah, Winrar can do 7z (pretty much everything really, nice prog all around). I just liked not having to make people unpack them as well as download them. Though the two actions combined is probably quicker than the uncompressed download.... And yeah, as the type of document it is it'll compress VERY nicely.

Hey, I'm sorry to say that while the flat blue background enhances the readability of the text, the shape in the middle of the background has the opposite effect, making it difficuklt to read the middle of each page. Especially that the characteres are still black.

I was kinda wondering about the Watermarks, I'll have to play around with exactly how dark to have them if I keep them in. At first they were all too light, so I darkened them up this time without really checking through too much.

Fortunately my computer bugged out on me and I lost the work of placing the watermarks (but nothing else), so it is quite easy to take out or change :)

EDIT: I took a look over it and I don't think that the watermarks are really that much of a readability issue. But I had done those ones at 75% transparent, so I'll bump that up to 85% and see how that works if anybody else thinks they are too dark right now and distract from reading the manual.

I took a look over it and I don't think that the watermarks are really that much of a readability issue. But I had done those ones at 75% transparent, so I'll bump that up to 85% and see how that works if anybody else thinks they are too dark right now and distract from reading the manual.

Of course it may be just me ;)

Hopefully it is.

The watermarks are currently just fine, and would probably be too light if you messed with them too much.

Xienwolf, the manual is fantastic, there are just some minor issues:
in the last version, I would like to know if it is a problem of my download that i get "denied" on the background of some icons.
In the civ section of the v1.82 the violet background is IMO too strong as color and makes letters less readable.Violet doesn't seem fit also with the civs description, perhaps every civ could get a color background more fit like (Green for Hippus,Violet for Sheaim,Blue for Elohim .....), or simply the background could remain white.Civs coat of arms could be made a bit smaller so it appears less blurry.

Thank you for your hard work.

The "Denied" on the background of some tables is because that Civ cannot build that unit/building, it is intentional.

I do like the idea of making the background be the Civilization's Color, I'll have to play with that. The main reason it is Violet right now is because it is REALLY hard to find a dark color which doesn't require me to change the colors of all the textlinks :) Violet happened to work. And I am using a dark background just to make it easy on the eyes, few light backgrounds do more than annoy a fellow.

Shrinking the watermakrs is probably a good idea. Especially for the religions they wind up being pretty pixelated sadly. I'll toy with it a little bit and figure something out hopefully.

You writes that the AC shrine provides 1 Gold per city with the religion. I thought it actually was 1 beaker. Has it changed recently (or did I miss something?)?
EDIT : also missed the +3 to AC when build (Stigmata) and the free promotion.

Great work, absolutely marvelous. :)
I have two questions:
Is there any posibility to remove the background color?
Is there a possibility to print every color in Black? Because yellow doesn't work that good on a monochrome black/white printer.
note: the Spell Sphere Chaos is written Entropy on page 168

The Blue Background will not print. It is only there to make it easier on your eyes reading this on the computer screen.

Don't know about others, but dark background and dark text definitely doesn't make it easier on my eyes. At certain parts I really had to struggle to read :( .
I suppose I could open it at work with Illustrator and remove it, but still. Light grey backround used in this board is good indeed, but dark blue ... ;)

Remove the Background while on the computer screen I am guessing you mean? Not that I know of. I'm not too experienced with Adobe yet, so I'll continue to play with options and see if there is a way to allow people to select having it show or not (would seem like a reasonable feature...).

I'll be revisiting the entire color scheme once I get the information completely compiled though, I had also noticed that the spells color doesn't print so fantastically.

Kinda figures it would be Chaos that somehow steals another name... ;)

EDIT: I just tried out the light grey, and it makes the Technologies color really hurt my eyes :(. But I will go ahead and upload a zip file which contains a completely non-colored version as well as the current edition.

what exactly was wrong with the origional white background? That worked perfectly for me. The Blue has got to go lol

Well I have the plain white without any colored words either attached to the first post. If nobody responds in defense of having a darker background I'll ditch that idea completely until I can refine it, then make it an option possibly. Main reason was feedback saying that pure white is hard on the eyes when read electronically.

I've attached a completely un-colored version to this post for people who do not like the current color scheme. I hope to remedy that issue sometime soon, but won't be doing much more work for at least a week due to tests.

hey, Thanks a LOT - that's great for my good old printer :)

I like the colors of the letters for the computer screen, that's fantastic while you're playing FFH, but it's also nice to have a version which i can print and read in the train (and for training).

You could already print the colored version without getting the colors I believe.

If I remember correctly on GF manual, the black (not just blue) background with white letters was perfect for reading on screen (compare to black letters on white background).
I thought you wanted to achieve such goal when introducing the blue background, but in my opinion you haven't been far enough in that direction.

Could you try a full Black BG and white letters, juste to see how it turns out ? :)

Top Bottom