Planet Simulator

I'm trying this in conjunction with Really Advanced Setup mod. So far, there are...things that might be oddities popped up, but nothing gamebreaking. One of my resources somehow failed to register for "We love the King", and I had (and could) trade for it. Also, the map itself...it looks good, I'm just wondering if I got some kind of biased start position, because I am alone on small continent (alone with one CS) between two larger continents with several AIs. It's nice, but stinks of bias...or perhaps it was just a random chance.

Also, there might be some interactions with other mods...I had a couple map scripts loaded (Waterways Exploration and Small Continents Deluxe) loaded, and game crashed when starting new map...after deactivating those mods it worked wine.

... I believe the version currently hosted here still has a bug where forest spawns on desert (though I've fixed that in my most current WIP version).

Hello Bobert13, I've tried your script and I really like it but the forest on desert bug it's pretty annoying, it happen pretty often in my games... Would you like to share your fix with us?
Thanks!

Been playing my last couple of games with this (as I said over there in the Civ:BE thread), I really like it so far, but a little bit of feedback.
The script utilizes the game's preexisting resource generation and includes the normal options that come with it (Sparse, Standard, Abundant, Legendary Start, and Strategic Balance).
Odd, to me, resources seem to be a bit more sparse than with the default game maps, I wonder why or whether the RNG just hates me.
...because I am alone on small continent (alone with one CS) between two larger continents with several AIs. It's nice, but stinks of bias...or perhaps it was just a random chance.
Yeah, I'm getting the impression this happens more often than usual as well. Not all the time - I guess it's just a side effect of not having a bias and the game distributing start positions evenly. If you have a smaller continent and the default number of players and a city state or two, it might just be too small to place another player at roughly even spacing.

As I said, these are just general impressions, not a proper test.

Anyway, cheers for the script, the maps are really beautiful! :)

I've got a suggestion...could you make an option to enable wider coastal area (2-3 tiles)? It would, IMO, improve the early gameplay, and potentially it could mean less trash tiles for coastal cities, as sea resources can spawn only on coast.

Looks very interesting and I'm considering trying it out (use perfectworld script now).

Would it be possible to tweak settings so that you can make a "homogeneous" world, i.e. no poles, equator etc but more or less the same distribution of forests, jungles etc. all over the map. Furthermore I'd like to get rid of tundra and ice files. ???

If so could someone point to the parameters in question?

Thanks in advance!

\\Skodkim

I've got a suggestion...could you make an option to enable wider coastal area (2-3 tiles)? It would, IMO, improve the early gameplay, and potentially it could mean less trash tiles for coastal cities, as sea resources can spawn only on coast.

This would be great, hope the script can be updated with this. Need coastal areas that are bigger than just one tile.

FWIW, the resource generation problem can be solved by using the "more resources" mod.

Do you mean "more luxuries"?

Also, is there any update available for this excellent map script? I hope it hasn't been abandoned, it's truly awesome

I'm still around though I've been between a number of projects and haven't really put much time into this particular script since shortly after release. I did do quite a bit of stuff for Planet Simulator in Civ:BE but it's also been a while since I touched that as well.

Coast and Resource generation both use the game's default methods. I'm really not compelled to mess with either of them however, I will say resources do feel different in Planet Simulator than they do in the default scripts. I'm somewhat curious as to whether that's just subjective or if possibly the lack of the fractal layers is somehow messing with resources. Also, fish probably seem a little rare due to the high atoll count. I believe I made a setting for that no? :lol:

Is this map script compitable with "more luxuries" mod? I don't have resources that are included in this mod

Hello Bobert13, I've tried your script and I really like it but the forest on desert bug it's pretty annoying, it happen pretty often in my games... Would you like to share your fix with us?
Thanks!

I'm not sure the creator approves of this but I tweaked a bit in hopes of solving desert forest issue.

First time dealing with lua but hopefully a minor guesswork tweak doesn't break something.

blocked with start and end comments: search for TowerTipping

Attachments

• Planet Simulator vTT.7z
    33.8 KB · Views: 239
I'm not sure the creator approves of this but I tweaked a bit in hopes of solving desert forest issue.

First time dealing with lua but hopefully a minor guesswork tweak doesn't break something.

Thank you very much for your help, I'm going to try this version as soon as I start a new game :) Much appreciated!

I never released a version to fix forest on desert? ... :crazyeye:

I more than approve, I actually encourage others to get involved in projects and to share their work with the community so long as they're actually contributing something.

I can confirm you nailed it, I've played a game with Morocco, plenty of desert and no funny forest. Thank you very much for solving this issue!

In general, I like the maps produced by this mod, but there is one "feature" that I find puzzling. It seems to me that about 80-90% of the mountains it produces are on the coast. Indeed, I have just spent quite a long time with In Game Editor deleting coastal mountains from some maps.

Call me old-fashioned, but I tend to think of the best place for mountains as being in the centre of a continent.

I've the same issues with the narrow coastal area. Looking at the script i've seen this:
Spoiler :

function GenerateCoasts(args)
print("Setting coasts and oceans - Planet Simulator");
local args = args or {};
local bExpandCoasts = args.bExpandCoasts or true;
local expansion_diceroll_table = args.expansion_diceroll_table or {4, 4};

local shallowWater = GameDefines.SHALLOW_WATER_TERRAIN;
local deepWater = GameDefines.DEEP_WATER_TERRAIN;

for i, plot in Plots() do
if(plot:IsWater()) then
if(plot:IsAdjacentToLand()) then
plot:SetTerrainType(shallowWater, false, false);
else
plot:SetTerrainType(deepWater, false, false);
end
end
end

if bExpandCoasts == false then
return
end

-- print("Expanding coasts (MapGenerator.Lua)");
for loop, iExpansionDiceroll in ipairs(expansion_diceroll_table) do
local shallowWaterPlots = {};
for i, plot in Plots() do
if(plot:GetTerrainType() == deepWater) then
-- Chance for each eligible plot to become an expansion is 1 / iExpansionDiceroll.
-- Default is two passes at 1/4 chance per eligible plot on each pass.
if(plot:IsAdjacentToShallowWater() and PWRandInt(0, iExpansionDiceroll) == 0) then
table.insert(shallowWaterPlots, plot);
-- plot:SetTerrainType(shallowWater, false, false);
end
end
end
for i, plot in ipairs(shallowWaterPlots) do
plot:SetTerrainType(shallowWater, false, false);
end
end
end

but i don't know about coding at all. Can this be modified to allow wider coast? thanks

EDIT
Ok, already found the info here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=544360

I experienced the same scarce resources reported by others in this thread. I took a look at the code, and it turns out that there's a bug causing resources to be generated based on the "Map Preset" option rather than the "Resources" option. This means continental maps were always generating with scarce resources (and pangeal maps with standard resources).

Since it sounds like Bobert13 is happy for others to extend his work, I went ahead and updated the script with a bugfix for this. While I was at it, I also enabled world age, temperature, rainfall, and sea level options so you can adjust various parameters Bobert13 set up in-game rather than needing to modify the script; I also added a "Coastal Waters" option for those who want to make the coasts wider (or narrower). If you liked Bobert13's original setup, just leave everything on the defaults and that's what you'll get (with the exception of standard resources on continents). For those wanting a detailed description of what these options do, see the spoiler block.

Spoiler :
  • World age adjusts the rate of mountains and hills. Younger worlds have more of both, older worlds have fewer.
  • Temperature affects the conditions under which desert, tundra, snow, forests, and jungle can appear, and sets limits on where atolls and ice can appear.
  • Rainfall affects how many plains, deserts, forests, jungles, and marshes appear. Drier worlds have fewer rivers, particularly fewer short rivers, and less frequently have rivers in generally dry terrain (so although there will be more desert tiles in dry conditions, a lower proportion of these tiles will be floodplains).
  • Sea Level affects how much land the map has. Low sea level maps have about 37% land, normal sea level maps have about 31% land, and high sea level maps have about 25% land.
  • Coastal Waters affects how far from land coastal tiles tend to extend before becoming ocean. "Land-Adjacent Only" causes coastal tiles to only be generated directly adjacent to land tiles. "Very Narrow" causes coastal tiles to only be generated adjacent to land or two tiles away from land, and the latter infrequently. "Superfluously Wide" causes coastal tiles to generate as many as six tiles away from land (although that's quite rare; 2-4 is more common). All other settings will generate coastal tiles up to three away from land, although the wider settings do so more frequently.
Note that superfluously wide coastal waters will cause sea resources to spawn in tiles inaccessible to any possible city. Its main purpose is to make it likely for all continents to be connected by coastal waters. For people interested in having oceans between continents, note that coastal waters wider than Standard can cause all continents to be connected by coast tiles fairly frequently, particularly on medium and small maps and low sea levels.

The narrow coastal water options make continental separation by oceans more frequent, and with larger maps and higher sea levels can frequently lead to several continents separated by coasts; on a huge map with high sea levels and narrow coasts, I averaged 3.9 continental regions separated by ocean (20 trials). Two of these trials had 6 continental regions all separated by ocean, and in both of these cases there was an additional large island separated by ocean from the continents that wasn't quite large enough for me to call a continent (these large islands were around 30 tiles of land). In none of these trials was there only 1 continental region, and only two of the trials had only two oceanically-separated continental regions.

I've attached my modified script to this post. Let me know if there are any issues.

Attachments

• Planet Simulator vLL.7z
    35.4 KB · Views: 257
I experienced the same scarce resources reported by others in this thread. I took a look at the code, and it turns out that there's a bug causing resources to be generated based on the "Map Preset" option rather than the "Resources" option. This means continental maps were always generating with scarce resources (and pangeal maps with standard resources).

Since it sounds like Bobert13 is happy for others to extend his work, I went ahead and updated the script with a bugfix for this. While I was at it, I also enabled world age, temperature, rainfall, and sea level options so you can adjust various parameters Bobert13 set up in-game rather than needing to modify the script; I also added a "Coastal Waters" option for those who want to make the coasts wider (or narrower). If you liked Bobert13's original setup, just leave everything on the defaults and that's what you'll get (with the exception of standard resources on continents). For those wanting a detailed description of what these options do, see the spoiler block.

Spoiler :
  • World age adjusts the rate of mountains and hills. Younger worlds have more of both, older worlds have fewer.
  • Temperature affects the conditions under which desert, tundra, snow, forests, and jungle can appear, and sets limits on where atolls and ice can appear.
  • Rainfall affects how many plains, deserts, forests, jungles, and marshes appear. Drier worlds have fewer rivers, particularly fewer short rivers, and less frequently have rivers in generally dry terrain (so although there will be more desert tiles in dry conditions, a lower proportion of these tiles will be floodplains).
  • Sea Level affects how much land the map has. Low sea level maps have about 37% land, normal sea level maps have about 31% land, and high sea level maps have about 25% land.
  • Coastal Waters affects how far from land coastal tiles tend to extend before becoming ocean. "Land-Adjacent Only" causes coastal tiles to only be generated directly adjacent to land tiles. "Very Narrow" causes coastal tiles to only be generated adjacent to land or two tiles away from land, and the latter infrequently. "Superfluously Wide" causes coastal tiles to generate as many as six tiles away from land (although that's quite rare; 2-4 is more common). All other settings will generate coastal tiles up to three away from land, although the wider settings do so more frequently.
Note that superfluously wide coastal waters will cause sea resources to spawn in tiles inaccessible to any possible city. Its main purpose is to make it likely for all continents to be connected by coastal waters. For people interested in having oceans between continents, note that coastal waters wider than Standard can cause all continents to be connected by coast tiles fairly frequently, particularly on medium and small maps and low sea levels.

The narrow coastal water options make continental separation by oceans more frequent, and with larger maps and higher sea levels can frequently lead to several continents separated by coasts; on a huge map with high sea levels and narrow coasts, I averaged 3.9 continental regions separated by ocean (20 trials). Two of these trials had 6 continental regions all separated by ocean, and in both of these cases there was an additional large island separated by ocean from the continents that wasn't quite large enough for me to call a continent (these large islands were around 30 tiles of land). In none of these trials was there only 1 continental region, and only two of the trials had only two oceanically-separated continental regions.

I've attached my modified script to this post. Let me know if there are any issues.

Wow, thank you for your contribution! I'm going to test this right away. By the way: did you include the forests-on-desert-bug fix tkhan0301 made in October?

Wow, thank you for your contribution! I'm going to test this right away. By the way: did you include the forests-on-desert-bug fix tkhan0301 made in October?

Oops, just went in the map script and found the changelog. Looks like you did! This looks great.

Top Bottom