Nexus Buddy 2

Nexus Buddy 2 - Granny Editor for Civ 5 2.5.3

Unfortunately Nexus Buddy 2 only works with Granny files from Civ V or Civ Beyond Earth as the DLLs you refer to can only open and manipulate .gr2 files from these games. Sorry.

Ah, well thanks for replying. But I am curious, is there no standard for .gr2 files? Or does Civ V just do their own style of headers and etc? Or both?

Ah, well thanks for replying. But I am curious, is there no standard for .gr2 files? Or does Civ V just do their own style of headers and etc? Or both?

Granny is a proprietary format rather than an open one. I think every game that uses the Granny engine can have its .gr2 encoded differently stop art assets being used in different games. So there is no standard Granny file format - as is mentioned here under file format.

The only reason we were able to develop Nexus Buddy to import graphics into Civ 5 was because Firaxis exposed various helpful functions for loading and saving .gr2s in their DLLs. Even with this I had to decompile some of their code, look through Granny Viewer a lot and scrape sections of raw memory at times to get Nexus Buddy to where it is.

A new version of Nexus Buddy 2 is now available!

Latest Changelog: 2.2.3 - 25th January 2016

* Added support for editing Leader background scenes - Leader_Transparent_Matte shader type and new Scene_Template for use with BR2 overwrite.

* Force Materials to have unique names which fixes a few issues with editing them.

* Some other small fixes and tidy up.

Download Here!

Hmm.. I've downloaded it and ran it and it asked me to point it to the assets folder. So I pointed it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V but whenever I click the .exe it does nothing. I have tried everything I could find and everything I could think of but nothing seems to work.

Hmm.. I've downloaded it and ran it and it asked me to point it to the assets folder. So I pointed it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V but whenever I click the .exe it does nothing. I have tried everything I could find and everything I could think of but nothing seems to work.

Have you installed the Civ V SDK? Also Nexus Buddy requires .NET Framework 4:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/downl....aspx?id=17718

If you are having problems getting Nexus Buddy 2 to run, then there are some things that have worked for others elsewhere in this thread, particularly at this post, this post and this post.

Have you installed the Civ V SDK? Also Nexus Buddy requires .NET Framework 4:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/downl....aspx?id=17718

If you are having problems getting Nexus Buddy 2 to run, then there are some things that have worked for others elsewhere in this thread, particularly at this post, this post and this post.

Yep. I have .NET installed and I have installed and used the SDK. I have gone through this thread looking for a solution but everything I've tried hasn't worked. :confused:
I have no clue what is wrong or why it won't work. I hope someone is able to help as I would quite like to make some Civ V mods, but they aren't very good unless they have the art assets to go with them.

Sorry if this was probably mentioned much earlier in this thread, or elsewhere. But is this tool mainly a 3D mesh/model importer/viewer, and isn't a replacement for ModBuddy that comes with the SDK right?

I'm not sure how this tool fits into the whole workflow. Still getting my head around Civ 5 modding.

Sorry if this was probably mentioned much earlier in this thread, or elsewhere. But is this tool mainly a 3D mesh/model importer/viewer, and isn't a replacement for ModBuddy that comes with the SDK right?

Yes, much earlier. Like the first sentence of the first post:
Nexus Buddy 2 is a tool for importing and altering 3D Graphics in Civ 5 and Beyond Earth. It allows new textures to assigned to existing models and for completely new 3D models to be imported from FBX and/or BR2 format files.

It was originally a "buddy" for Nexus (another tool in the SDK), though you now don't need Nexus for much more than previewing 3D assets... and extracting the FPKs. Nexus Buddy has very little to do with ModBuddy (even less since the art define creator was removed, after Firaxis changed the method completely).

Honestly most madders don't ever touch it. But if you're going to do anything from simple reskins to custom 3D models, NB2 (or its predecessor) is not only a great tool, it's really the only game in town.

Yes, much earlier. Like the first sentence of the first post:

It was originally a "buddy" for Nexus (another tool in the SDK), though you now don't need Nexus for much more than previewing 3D assets... and extracting the FPKs. Nexus Buddy has very little to do with ModBuddy (even less since the art define creator was removed, after Firaxis changed the method completely).

Honestly most madders don't ever touch it. But if you're going to do anything from simple reskins to custom 3D models, NB2 (or its predecessor) is not only a great tool, it's really the only game in town.

I read that but since I didn't know what the full capabilities of ModBuddy is, or how NexusBuddy would fit into the workflow, it wasn't clear if it was a standalone, addendum, or replacement for ModBuddy that comes with the SDK. It was also confusing because under the tools downloads, there's a link to apparently an older version of the SDK ModBuddy which led me to think that there were advancements in modding tools made by the community since the SDK was launched.

I read that but since I didn't know what the full capabilities of ModBuddy is, or how NexusBuddy would fit into the workflow, it wasn't clear if it was a standalone, addendum, or replacement for ModBuddy that comes with the SDK. It was also confusing because under the tools downloads, there's a link to apparently an older version of the SDK ModBuddy which led me to think that there were advancements in modding tools made by the community since the SDK was launched.

They're all independent. Depending on what kind of mod you're making, you may not need many of them. ModBuddy is for writing code, building mods, and uploading to Steam. Except for the Steam part, you could do everything else ModBuddy does in a text editor.

The only reason the old version of the SDK is uploaded here is because Firaxis broke the Nexus 3D viewer, so you have to use the old version of Nexus. But you would use the latest versions of ModBuddy and all of the rest of the tools.

If you have further questions that don't have to do with NB2, I'd recommend starting a new thread in the main Creation & Customization subforum.

A new version of Nexus Buddy 2 is available here.

Latest Changelog: 2.2.4 - 7th March 2016

A set of new Additional Actions to support working with animation and effects. :)

* Reorder FTSXML Triggers - this will load any .ftsxml file and reorder the triggers rows by event code and also add in comment rows with a string description of the event code. The resulting file will be saved in the same directory with an underscore appended to the filename i.e. bob.ftsxml -> bob_.ftsxml.

Sample block:
Spoiler :
Code:
 <triggers>
    <!-- 1100 AttackA -->
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="100" time="0" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BATTLE_AMB_VOX_T1" bone="" tier="1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="100" time="0" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BATTLE_AMB_VOX_T2" bone="" tier="2" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="27" time="0.298148245" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_ATTACK_VOX_H" bone="" tier="-1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="28" time="0.00370370364" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BAT_AMB_T2_$(WEAPON)" bone="" tier="2" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="29" time="0.266667068" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_SWORD_SWING" bone="" tier="-1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="31" time="0" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BATTLE_AMB_VOX_T2" bone="" tier="2" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="36" time="0" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BAT_AMB_T1_$(WEAPON)" bone="" tier="1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="77" time="0.2558064" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_ARMOUR_MOVE" bone="" tier="-1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerEffect" id="10" time="0.237037" duration="0.233333" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="2" event="ART_DEF_VEFFECT_UNIT_SWORD_TRAIL_01" bone="Sword" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerAction" id="103" time="0.303704" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1100" track="4" action="1" />

<!-- 1120 Charge_Run -->
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="47" time="0" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1120" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_RUN_CHRG_VOX_T2" bone="" tier="2" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="47" time="0" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1120" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_RUN_CHRG_VOX_T1" bone="" tier="1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="63" time="0.02963" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1120" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_HORSE_RUN_$(TERRAIN)" bone="" tier="-1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="73" time="0.096296" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1120" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_ARMOUR_MOVE" bone="" tier="-1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerEffect" id="6" time="0" duration="0.533333" repeat="0" ec="1120" track="2" event="ART_DEF_VEFFECT_DUST_TRAIL_MD" bone="Horse" />

<!-- 1140 Charge_Attack -->
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="26" time="0.511111" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1140" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_HORSE_RUN_$(TERRAIN)" bone="" tier="-1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="33" time="0" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1140" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BATTLE_AMB_VOX_T1" bone="" tier="1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="34" time="0" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1140" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BATTLE_AMB_VOX_T2" bone="" tier="2" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="37" time="0" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1140" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BAT_AMB_T1_$(WEAPON)" bone="" tier="1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="38" time="0" duration="1" repeat="0" ec="1140" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_BAT_AMB_T2_$(WEAPON)" bone="" tier="2" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="58" time="0.029629" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1140" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_HORSE_RUN_$(TERRAIN)" bone="" tier="-1" />
    <trigger type="FTimedTriggerSound" id="81" time="0.315129" duration="0" repeat="0" ec="1140" track="1" event="AS3D_UNIT_U_POLISH_WINGED_HUSSAR_ATTACK_VOX_H" bone="" tier="-1" />

This is to make it easier to see and edit the sounds and visual effects that are triggered with each animation.

* Convert all FBX Files in Directory to GR2 Animations - this is useful when you have exported a collection of FBXs from Blender with animation data and you simply want to batch convert them to GR2 format.

* Remove Animations and Save - useful if you have imported from FBX with Animation data but you want to make a clean Model and Mesh .gr2 file. This will remove all animation data leaving everything else intact.

* Insert Rescale Bone and Save - this will add a new bone to the top of the Skeleton bone hierarchy called NB2_RESCALE_BONE that will rescale the entire model. The scale must be specified in the Rescale Factor text box. The purpose of this is to provide a way of rescaling models without affecting the scale of the effects. See here for more. Warning: this is not designed to be repeatable and will overwrite your current file so make a copy first.

* Add Scaled FX Bone and Save - This is an experimental feature! This will add a new child bone to the bone specified in the Parent Bone dropdown list. This new bone will have the scale specified in the Rescale Factor text box. The new bone will have the name of the parent bone with the suffix "_FX". The idea with this was to see how effects alter when they are attached to a rescaled bone. So far I think that using the Art Defines <Scale> to get the right scale for effects then using the Insert Rescale Bone options is going to be more useful.

Same problem here! I heard that I needed to extract the files inside de Civ V SDK Nexus folder, but it stil does not work... Can you help me, Deliverator?

Same problem here! I heard that I needed to extract the files inside de Civ V SDK Nexus folder, but it stil does not work... Can you help me, Deliverator?
"Same problem" as whose? What's the error message or behavior you're seeing?

My Nexus Buddy does not open!

Nexus Buddy 2 just like Nexus requires Civ V to be installed and runnable. If you can run the Nexus 3D Viewer successfully then Nexus Buddy 2 should run fine. Can you open an .fxsxml asset successfully in Nexus Asset Viewer?

There are some things that have worked for others in this thread particularly at this post, this post and this post.

Another thing to try is an older version that was compiled under Windows 7.

Nexus Buddy 2 just like Nexus requires Civ V to be installed and runnable. If you can run the Nexus 3D Viewer successfully then Nexus Buddy 2 should run fine. Can you open an .fxsxml asset successfully in Nexus Asset Viewer?

There are some things that have worked for others in this thread particularly at this post, this post and this post.

Another thing to try is an older version that was compiled under Windows 7.

The Nexus Viewer (not Nexus Buddy) crashes when I try to open an .fsxml.:badcomp:
Is it something I must do with regedit?

The Nexus Viewer (not Nexus Buddy) crashes when I try to open an .fsxml.:badcomp:
Is it something I must do with regedit?

Does that mean you got Nexus Buddy 2 working ok?

The process I followed for setting up the Nexus Viewer is here. Only the older version actually works for viewing models as the feature was broken in later versions.

The key registry value is at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Tools
ToolAssetPath="E:\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Sid Meier's Civilization V"

This can be changed using regedit.

Some breakthrough news! I've found a way to extract animation data from the game into Blender and it works!

This means we have a full round-trip to and from Blender for animations as well as model data. :)

Spoiler :

Need to do some further work on Nexus Buddy 2 to make the animation export a little easier to work with but watch this space!

Attachments

• animation_extract.jpg
    animation_extract.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 799
  • Boudicca_Animation_in_Blender.jpg
    Boudicca_Animation_in_Blender.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,190
  • animation_extract3.jpg
    animation_extract3.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 755
Oh my god... :eek:

Does this mean we'll be able to edit animations now? If so, this is great news!

(I mean, I'll have to learn how to do it, but I have some things in mind that this will be really useful for. Also, that second Pracinha image with the fist pump is quite fitting. :p)

Top Bottom