Chronicles of Adea - fantasy mod development thread

@trystero49: I wanted to check your changes to the Dreamers civ, but it seems you haven't added your new files related to them to the Actions tab.
Edit: Also, have you contacted Irkalla lately about the civ icons? If he needs more detailed descriptions of the icons than the ones I posted in the old thread, I suppose I can think about them (and of course everyone at the team is welcome to propose ideas for the icons).

Oh whoops I forgot to push the version that I put on the action tab. Will do tomorrow (going to sleep now).

I think maybe we should give Irkalla a more fleshed out list of possible icons than we have now. Here it is, btw:

Spoiler :

Dreamers - dark blue, the symbol can be something related to seafaring, like a ship
Griffites - "dirty" blue, the existing Babylon icon with a Griffin is good (and it's included in a vanilla file, so we don't have to use the DLC for it), so I'm not sure if a new icon is needed
Archons - white, something related to Greco-Roman culture, or a "pseudo-Christian" religious symbol like a cross
Vodniks - blue, they are related to fresh water, rivers, marches, reeds etc.
Snobar - icy blue, something related to the Vikings or to ice
Azracs - orange, inspired by Arabs or Ancient Egypt
Lemuria/Beastmen - light green (a shade similar to China in vanilla game), tribes living in the jungle, the symbol can be a wild animal (I think a black panther on light green background would be good)
Elves - green (darker than Lemuria/Beastmen), a bow or something Celtic-like
Dwarves - tan color - axe/pickaxe/hammer or something like that
Orcs (Red Horde) - red, something related to warfare
Demons - dark red, something related to fire
??? (After combining Lemuria with Beastmen we have one slot open for another civ to be included in the alpha.)

I spent some time thinking about the icons, and now I have some more concrete ideas:

1. Dreamers - a constellation of several four-pointed white stars of different sizes on dark blue (the placement of stars should be non-symmetric, colors like the USA icon)
2. Griffites - I still think we can use the Babylon icon for this civ
3. Archons - dark blue stylized cross-like symbol on white (the blue should be much darker than the Greece symbol)
4. Vodniks - dark green reeds on light blue (it can be something similar to this).
5. Snobar - dark blue simplified snowflake (six arms) on icy blue
6. Azracs - yellow sun-like symbol (can be something similar to what the Huns have) on dark orange (or dark red on light orange, if it looks better)
7. Lemuria/Beastmen - black panther on green (shade of green similar to China)
8. Elves - golden tree on green (shade of green similar to the Arabs, but warmer)
9. Dwarves - brown "helmet with beard" (like this but of course it shouldn't have so much detail as this picture, only the general shape) on tan (can be inverted Denmark colors, perhaps the brown should be a bit darker)
10. Orcs - black jagged axe (like this one, but the blade should be facing the opposite direction) on red
11. Demons - yellow pentagram on dark red
12. Undead - black skull on grey

Opinions and suggestions are welcome.

^
I will get that all to Irkalla tomorrow then.

Edit:
Although, I guess it might fit better if, instead of having a pentagram, we had say...a demonic visage. Maybe similar to this but without so much detail, just the general. It just would make more sense to me that a different world wouldn't necessary develop the same occult symbols as our world (earth) has. /shrug

@rocklikeafool: The demonic visage is a good alternative, although it can be also used as the icon of one of the Demonic units. That's why I have chosen a more abstract symbol for the civ, although some of my ideas for other civ icons would be good for units as well - this is because I didn't have any better ideas for them.

(In my story there could be some connection/travel between Earth and Adea, for example using a magical portal that connects both worlds, this would explain why why we have legends about Elves, Dwarves etc.)

I just checked your changes to policies, and database.log tells me that POLICY_ANIMAL_TAMING is defined twice, which causes the entire file to fail. Also, there are
Code:
<<<<<<< HEAD
and
Code:
>>>>>>> Should've have committed these awhile back.
lines there, which don't seem to be correct XML, they look like some kind of comments that you wanted to add to the code, but somehow they landed in the code itself. I have no experience with Git and GitHub, so I don't know why it could happen.

@All: For all future updates please check if the changes you made work in the game before pushing them to GitHub. If they don't work, check database.log and other log files for possible errors.

I got the most recent version from github and it doesn't work on my computer. Every time I start a game I get the Ozymandius Game Over screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

The database.log also has a very long list of errors, and I'm trying to diagnose each one slowly.

@rocklikeafool: The demonic visage is a good alternative, although it can be also used as the icon of one of the Demonic units. That's why I have chosen a more abstract symbol for the civ, although some of my ideas for other civ icons would be good for units as well - this is because I didn't have any better ideas for them.

(In my story there could be some connection/travel between Earth and Adea, for example using a magical portal that connects both worlds, this would explain why why we have legends about Elves, Dwarves etc.)
That's true, some connections like that would be good.

I just checked your changes to policies, and database.log tells me that POLICY_ANIMAL_TAMING is defined twice, which causes the entire file to fail. Also, there are
Code:
<<<<<<< HEAD
and
Code:
>>>>>>> Should've have committed these awhile back.
lines there, which don't seem to be correct XML, they look like some kind of comments that you wanted to add to the code, but somehow they landed in the code itself. I have no experience with Git and GitHub, so I don't know why it could happen.
Well, that explains why I didn't push them sooner. Fortunately, I can push the change back still.

And...changes reverted.

By the way, I apologize, guys...I've been sick all week. Just getting over it.

I got the most recent version from github and it doesn't work on my computer. Every time I start a game I get the Ozymandius Game Over screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

The database.log also has a very long list of errors, and I'm trying to diagnose each one slowly.

I fixed my issue. I pushed a version with civilization folders instead of solitary .xmls and added each one to the Actions tab.

Nimue's trait text is too large for the box. Maybe remove a portion of the trait?

Hmm... I don't understand what you mean , please clarify :)

I think he means our own subforum. In order to get that, cardith, we need to fulfill 2 requirements. 1) Have a published file. 2) Generate a fair amount of interest.

Nimue's trait text is too large for the box. Maybe remove a portion of the trait?
What if you restated the trait text in a shorter form?

There is enough room for the text, I edited the interface files and now it fits.

I had removed the uniques from the civ selection window some time ago, as we'll have too many of them to fit there. So now I just needed to expand the text area to use the space where the uniques were.

Update is on GitHub. More updates coming soon.

Btw I like the Nimue's trait name: Undreamt Shores :)

Hiya,
I'm a loooong time lurker of the CIV V modding threads to see if anything is being made in the likes of Fall from Heaven.

Before I go back to lurking some more, I'll say good luck with this mod! Looking forward to a full fantasy mod in CIV V!

Another update posted: Reefs are now generated on maps.

Coming next: Shrubs.

There is enough room for the text, I edited the interface files and now it fits.

I had removed the uniques from the civ selection window some time ago, as we'll have too many of them to fit there. So now I just needed to expand the text area to use the space where the uniques were.

Update is on GitHub. More updates coming soon.

Btw I like the Nimue's trait name: Undreamt Shores :)

Sweet! I'll check it out in a couple days. Running out of bandwidth this month and it won't begin a new billing month until the 20th.

"I had removed the uniques from the civ selection window some time ago, as we'll have too many of them to fit there."

Wait, so I'm not supposed to write the trait in that box?

As for the trait name, it's from a Shakespeare play, (and I thought it fit well). Glad you like it, I like it too.

Wait, so I'm not supposed to write the trait in that box?

I'm not sure what you mean. Nimue's trait now fits the box, and the next trait descriptions that you write should fit there too, so you will need to check if they do.

Yet another 2 updates posted, the main change is adding the Shrubs feature. It appears on Plains and Deserts, and gives +1 production (or +1 food on Plain hills, due to some strange hills yield calculations). So on Plains it gives good yields (2F 2P or 1F 3P on Hills), so you will want to keep it there until you can build improvements (earlier I planned to make it give -1 food, but I've changed my mind). You need to remove it to build improvements (removing it requires the Wood Working tech).

Btw, I noticed something that worries me: sometimes loading a save doesn't work. But it's true only for some saves, most of them work correctly. I have no idea what can cause that, and all saves created lately work correctly, despite the fact that I didn't do anything that could fix it... I'll need to make further tests to find out more about this problem, any advice is welcome.

Btw, I noticed something that worries me: sometimes loading a save doesn't work. But it's true only for some saves, most of them work correctly. I have no idea what can cause that, and all saves created lately work correctly, despite the fact that I didn't do anything that could fix it... I'll need to make further tests to find out more about this problem, any advice is welcome.

Seems like I run into this issue most often when I delete a core unit promotion, like healing.

Top Bottom