I guess this mean no alpha centauri 2.

The Alpha Centauri IP is owned by Electronic Arts. Firaxis is owned by Take 2 Interactive. So no, I guess there won't be an Alpha Centauri 2 in the immediate future.
Still, there's always modding.

And you can always do an Alpha Centauri mod/game using civ5 if you completely rework it. :)

I wonder what are the legalities if Firaxis turned the Civ IV mod "Planetfall" into a full production title? A riff on a riff as it were? Maybe as an expansion to Civ V, with of course sufficient differences, not using the exact same art and names and such in many cases. They could put "Inspired by Alpha Centauri" on the cover? Cut EA in?

The Alpha Centauri IP is owned by Electronic Arts. Firaxis is owned by Take 2 Interactive. So no, I guess there won't be an Alpha Centauri 2 in the immediate future.
Still, there's always modding.

thanks. I didn't know that.

Good! Alpha Centauri is the stupidest game in the history of video games! :mad:

Good! Alpha Centauri is the stupidest game in the history of video games! :mad:

Wha?? Put down the Haterade man.

SMAC is ---> :king:

SMAC was a little complex for me at the time, but that just makes me want a sequel all the more. A game like SMAC with a modern UI would be excellent.

For now it looks like it's just SMAC and Planetfall

Why is it so frakking hard to do a 4X game in space? And don't point me to GALCIV2, that over-thought and over-wrought monstrosity. I've given up on ever building another space empire.

Sherlock, once civ5 comes out, you and I are gonna make a space mod. How about that? Wanna start plans?

If your looking for a good 4x space strategy game, Sins of a Solar Empire is good.

For someone who has never played SMAC, what made it so memorable?

If your looking for a good 4x space strategy game, Sins of a Solar Empire is good.

I don't particularly care for futuristic play. In fact, on civ IV I prefer nothing beyond the Industrial age... However...

I enjoyed the combat of AC...the strange sounds the guns made, etc... I also really liked those giant rockets that could take out pieces of a continent. I used to use those to do my own terra-forming at my enemies expense. My favorite "civ" were the Morganites.

Sins is a little too "RTS-y" for me. Though I'd kill for an Updated MOO or MOOII (do not mention the "3" game, it does not exist in my reality)

AC, memorable.......well just everything. It was a great game in it's day that took a step beyond the base Civ concept, and did so with class.

For me it was the interesting blurbs and the compelling "storyline" of sorts. It mixed traditional civ with a heavily philosophical and informative scifi novel and added a boatload of new features and concepts. In fact, the story was so compelling several novels were published based on it. And instead of a bunch of generic civs with few differences, you had seven very unique factions.

Gameplay-wise it was way too easy and unbalanced in SP even on Huge/Transcend. But back in the day it was considered a monumental achievement.

I can understand why they're loathe to do a sequel. Re-hashing the storyline is boring and not compelling. The potential market is too small. They'd rather do Civ which is a bigger name and an easier sell.

Sins is a little too "RTS-y" for me. Though I'd kill for an Updated MOO or MOOII (do not mention the "3" game, it does not exist in my reality)
I didn't like Sins either for same reasons. You should try Sword of the Stars. It has real time tactical combat, but the main game is turn based. A pretty good 4x space game. It just has the tendency to bog down towards the end when you play it on big maps and it puts more weight on multiplayer than I'd like.

But SMAC... Long have I wanted a sequel for that. Some balancing, better UI and tweaks and it'd be perfect. I guess it's just not as attractive brand as Civilization.

SMAC was wonderful. I still play it soımetimes. I red the 1st book of the story and it's very good as well.
I would like to play alpha centauri features with world civilizations, instead of factions. I also like factions, especially the hive ideologically. I find the university very powerful OTOH.
Unit workshop and many other features were great.

About alpha centauri2 issue, I will make my comment here as well.
The delay of alpha centauri2 can -by no means- not be explained with anything.

You cannot explain it neither with which company the owner of the rights is, nor anything. This is against the rules of economy and nature of the material.

I believe only the small portion of civ fans really aim for an alpha centauri2. that should be the main reason.
if Sid think that it would be profitable, he would do it anyway, whatever the new company or the name of the new game will be.

And again, i want to highlight this. What right of name or law are you really talking about? customers pay and they get. this is economy. anyone who stands against this should realise he is becoming only funny and nothing else. you just change the name and sell it. no lawyer may block this. the main issue here does Sid want to do Alpha Centauri 2 or not? He seems not willing to do it.

camarilla:

It's simple really. Sid/Firaxis/2K DO NOT OWN ALPHA CENTAURI! EA owns Alpha Centauri. EA do NOT want to make SMAC2. Sid/Firaxis/2K CANNOT make SMAC2 without a massive legal battle. Call it anything, even "Space Colonization" but if it resembles SMAC in any way it is breach of copyright and will bring the EA lawyers to bare (see Call to Power legal battles for precedent). You will NOT see a SMAC2 unless EA buys Firaxis, or EA buys 2K, or 2K buys EA.

SIMPLE! It has nothing to do with economics.

camarilla:

It's simple really. Sid/Firaxis/2K DO NOT OWN ALPHA CENTAURI! EA owns Alpha Centauri. EA do NOT want to make SMAC2. Sid/Firaxis/2K CANNOT make SMAC2 without a massive legal battle. Call it anything, even "Space Colonization" but if it resembles SMAC in any way it is breach of copyright and will bring the EA lawyers to bare (see Call to Power legal battles for precedent). You will NOT see a SMAC2 unless EA buys Firaxis, or EA buys 2K, or 2K buys EA.

SIMPLE! It has nothing to do with economics.
no it's all about economics. the problem here is that, alpha centauri isn't seen profittable. if it was believed to be sold much, we would already have it. so we need to raise our volume to call for alpha centauri2.

you still talk about names? here you go with 2 games with different "names".
ea shall make an Alpha Centauri2 and sid shall make a "Beta Centauri". ok?

alpha centauri2 cannot sell even 1mio copies. Beta centauri sells 5mio copies and ea lawyers cannot do anything, anything. they can only anger customers if they file anything.
so it is all economics. customers pay, customers rule. customers decide which game they will pay. and they will pick the version of Mr. Meier's. because it is the original one.

have you played larry in amiga? i assume it was larry, not sure about the name. the antagonist was trying to make love with many ladies in the game. the gfx of ladies resembled clearly one famous artist and their names in the game were so similar.
for ex: 1 of the ladies were called dewmi more, ok? you sleep with her in the game. and many more artists. any body could take anything after filing the game? no.

EA really doesn't have any reason not to just sit on the IP. Perhaps if firaxis was willing to pay them a whole load of money they might give it up, but it's not like EA are strapped for cash, and I don't think firaxis is all that worried at the moment since they're working on civilization without any plans for another SMAC.

Perhaps if EA offered to sell it to them they might consider it... but I don't think they're going to pursue it. It's a shame really, because I really enjoyed that game.

Top Bottom