The West Tower

Looks like we are on an island, border pop revealed new land off the coast of capital. It looks like all teams are on islands and there is a luxurious center or something...

That new land of the North West coast looks reachable by workboat/galley, and it doesn't look like just a one tile island.

Getting a work boat galley up for scouting purposes should be a high priority. But I also agree that we should still research bronze working next, as it will allow us to start chopping things. BW > Fishing > Sailing would be my suggestion in terms of tech.

I don't know that sailing has to be our absolute next priority, keep in mind that we are financial and expansive; pottery is our bread and butter tech. I suspect that the land mass is a pangea, and all of us have a similar island to ourselves. Despite colonial expenses (implying our capitol will end up on that pangea) six cities on this island is probably the way to go. 6 corns, with each city overlapping two of them, and the best second city is the weakest defensively, 5E of Mutal/Castle Merlot/Holy Grail. Now we just gotta figure out the fasted way to do it.

I have to agree with King Indiansmoke.

Both Fishing/Scouting and Cottages/Pottery have long term benefits, but Cottages need to be prioritized imho.

I'm very curious about the other land mass - particularly the idea of a Pangea that would link all of our start positions. No doubt it would be a great advantage to scout it out. But Pottery is more than an advantage, its essential for us with our trait.

Anyone else very concerned about the Netherlands on this map? Their UB has the potential to be borderline game breaking. No doubt other civs realize this as well, which may mean we can use fear (justified fear!) as a strong element in solidifying an ally against a common enemy.

The enemy of our enemy is our friend of course, ash .. However, do not forget that Netherlands may very well be the first opponent we encounter. It might be in our interest to, shall we say, be very friendly to them - depending on the encounter scenario of course .. :mischief:

Anyone else very concerned about the Netherlands on this map? Their UB has the potential to be borderline game breaking. No doubt other civs realize this as well, which may mean we can use fear (justified fear!) as a strong element in solidifying an ally against a common enemy.

I made some quite aggressive points on the main forum about the map in regards to The Dutch and Vikings. While what I said is true, the main point was to alert the other teams and maybe establish the early grounds for a 4vs2 alliance, which should be our aim IMO.

Both Fishing/Scouting and Cottages/Pottery have long term benefits, but Cottages need to be prioritized imho.

Getting a work boat galley up for scouting purposes should be a high priority. But I also agree that we should still research bronze working next, as it will allow us to start chopping things. BW > Fishing > Sailing would be my suggestion in terms of tech.

I don't know that sailing has to be our absolute next priority, keep in mind that we are financial and expansive; pottery is our bread and butter tech. I suspect that the land mass is a pangea, and all of us have a similar island to ourselves. Despite colonial expenses (implying our capitol will end up on that pangea) six cities on this island is probably the way to go. 6 corns, with each city overlapping two of them, and the best second city is the weakest defensively, 5E of Mutal/Castle Merlot/Holy Grail. Now we just gotta figure out the fasted way to do it.

This needs some serious thinking and testing. The "logical" path is BW-Wheel-fishing (+20% on pottery)-pottery-sailing- priesthood-monarchy.

Getting a scouting unit on the other land mass is important as is winning circumnavigation, but doing that before the main development techs I am not sure it is worth it.

Getting to 6 cities before moving to the other landmass I am not sure about either...if the other land is good, it might be worth going for it after our second city, but we will need military units for it as at least barbs will be there.

Also there was a comment by Obsolete in the main forums that alerted me abit. He said that their land was full of marble and stone resources..... Of course there the serious possibility he is just saying that to stop all else from going for wonders....which makes me think if we are going for any?

Actually thinking about it it might be worth after agriculture going fishing-BW-Wheel-poterry so that we build a workboat while we grow capital instead of warriors....

We need to calculate this because it might be worth stopping agriculture 1 turn from completion and switching to fishing so that capital can immidiatelly start workboat after worker, since worker needs an extra turn to get to the corn.

(...)

We need to calculate this because it might be worth stopping agriculture 1 turn from completion and switching to fishing so that capital can immidiatelly start workboat after worker, since worker needs an extra turn to get to the corn.

I took a quick look at the sim and saw no way of fishing coming faster than turn 15 without delaying the corn/ going mine first. If we switch to a gold tile even for 1 turn during worker prod, it gets delayed, and switching after the worker is out won't make a difference.

I took a quick look at the sim and saw no way of fishing coming faster than turn 15 without delaying the corn/ going mine first. If we switch to a gold tile even for 1 turn during worker prod, it gets delayed, and switching after the worker is out won't make a difference.

OK, still though going fishing after agriculture seems logical so we can make a workboat after second warrior while growing.

In any case we need a new plan since we have 2 gems (not the one we originally saw).

So we need a development plan for the next 20-30 turns.

Questions are:
1. Do we go BW or fishing next? When will we use chops?
2. How is the growing plans and settler plans affected by the second gems? Do we go for second worker or just grow size 4 working 2 corns and 2 gems making settler?

Also note that there is another important reason for delaying BW for as long as we actually need it. Fishing and wheel does not get the pre req 1.2 modifier that Bronze working does. That means that by t=eching fishing and wheel first we will be getting extra commerce when we tech BW (after improving gems).

This needs some serious thinking and testing. The "logical" path is BW-Wheel-fishing (+20% on pottery)-pottery-sailing- priesthood-monarchy.

Getting a scouting unit on the other land mass is important as is winning circumnavigation, but doing that before the main development techs I am not sure it is worth it.

Getting to 6 cities before moving to the other landmass I am not sure about either...if the other land is good, it might be worth going for it after our second city, but we will need military units for it as at least barbs will be there.

Also there was a comment by Obsolete in the main forums that alerted me abit. He said that their land was full of marble and stone resources..... Of course there the serious possibility he is just saying that to stop all else from going for wonders....which makes me think if we are going for any?

Since all we have resources wine is corn/wine/gems, I wouldn't be suprised if one team had all marble/stone, but we cannot plan our strategy around it. Get me a spy and a transport and i'll find out for ourselves :). Colossus is the obvious wonder, but everybody else will be trying for it I think, We do have a head start on the oracle since we started with mysticism, but I think the only wonder we should try for in the early game is the great library.

As to the tech paths, I would support going BW over fishing just to get chopping going, we can chop out work boats faster than going fishing first and producing them normally.

BW > Fishing > Pottery > Sailing

It would seem that the map maker had an idea of forcing civilizations to trade resources early (six wines, six corn, six civs). It's not completely unthinkable that someone would have lots of wonder resources. I still have some doubts on the issue though.

It just came upon me that we also would do well being wary of India. In a game heavily based on diplomacy, trade and subterfuge, the player percieved to be weakest from the start has the advantage of hiding under many radars.

EDIT: Another notion, it would also seem that if the hidden sea is like everything else so far, it is virtually impossible to attack our home island before Astronomy. Only possible way of doing that would be a very well placed culture bomb. That might call for very early galleys to ship our troops to more contested areas.

It would seem that the map maker had an idea of forcing civilizations to trade resources early (six wines, six corn, six civs). It's not completely unthinkable that someone would have lots of wonder resources. I still have some doubts on the issue though.

It just came upon me that we also would do well being wary of India. In a game heavily based on diplomacy, trade and subterfuge, the player percieved to be weakest from the start has the advantage of hiding under many radars.

EDIT: Another notion, it would also seem that if the hidden sea is like everything else so far, it is virtually impossible to attack our home island before Astronomy. Only possible way of doing that would be a very well placed culture bomb. That might call for very early galleys to ship our troops to more contested areas.

It agree it seems this is the resource idea. 6 corns, 6 wine but only 3 gems.....which means that there should be another one with 3 gems and 2 civs with 3 gold each. That leaves 2 civs to have what? IMO seafood resources..It makes sense since 6 seafood (in a financial civ) is the same commerce as 3 gems...perfect balance in a way.

I dought anyone has marble or stone on their island, I believe Obsolete was trying to confuse us.

Regarding Astronomy yes that is the case and even a culture bomb would not do it since the capital would not lose the long held cultural presure on the BFC. But the game will be won or lost in the central continent it seems and not on our island.

I made some quite aggressive points on the main forum about the map in regards to The Dutch and Vikings. While what I said is true, the main point was to alert the other teams and maybe establish the early grounds for a 4vs2 alliance, which should be our aim IMO.

So our intentions will be to try to ally with the other teams against the Dutch and the Vikings then?

What if these two civilizations are our closest neighbors? (Just trying to visualize a possibility that we probably should make contingencies for just in case...) Or to make it worse .. if the map is a big central landmass with 6 small islands around containing the 6 teams - what if we have the Dutch as our closest neighbor at one side, and the Vikings at the other?

So our intentions will be to try to ally with the other teams against the Dutch and the Vikings then?

What if these two civilizations are our closest neighbors? (Just trying to visualize a possibility that we probably should make contingencies for just in case...) Or to make it worse .. if the map is a big central landmass with 6 small islands around containing the 6 teams - what if we have the Dutch as our closest neighbor at one side, and the Vikings at the other?

Yes, We should really keep up cordial relations with everybody until we have a better understanding of our surroundings, there is no reason to jump on the 4v2 bandwagon publicly yet.

Top Bottom