Slavery

killmeplease

Mk Z on Steam
receive slave units on city capture (# depends on city size) and also on razing.
slave units are workers which work a little (25%) slower but are maintenance free.
slaves also can hurry production in cities, like GEs, but for a small amount of hammers (50?). or can be disbanded for 50 gold.

there is a probability (1%, tested each turn) that a slave unit will revolt. in this case it gets turned into a barbarian military unit of 1 era earlier (e.g. muskeeter in industrial). nearby barbarian make slaves revolt too, so there may be a chain reaction.

late game policies (tenets) affect slaves
abolitionism (freedom): 20 turns of WLTKD in all cities, all current slaves are freed; slaves captured from other civs are freed too, which gives 1 turn of WLTKD in all cities per a freed slave.
world revolution (order): makes all slaves and a part of workers and military units (depends on the tourism score) of the civs you are at war with revolt and switch to your side.
builders of communism (order): hurrying production with slaves creates 2x more production. 15% bonus production when constructing buildings. can build slaves in cities. (useful to help new or low production cities when you dont have much gold)
final solution (autocracy): +10 happiness, all cities lose 1 population for 1 free slave. tourism accumulated against you by other civs is diminished but their attitude is worsened.

Whilst I'd agree that the Civilization series as a whole has glossed over the issue of slavery as a whole (for various reasons), I'd always assumed/mentally pencilled in the reason you get a good load of cash for pillaging tile improvements was (in part) because you take the workers and sell them into slavery as well as looting stuff - more implied than an actual thing.

However, plenty of early civilisations did integrate slavery into their economies so this tenet is something you could build into the game mechanics. I'm thinking perhaps a city improvement: the Slave Trader/Slave Market. When a city builds this, the city can sacrifice happiness, food and/or culture for gold and production - there'd be a slider to balance this. This could go some way into balancing the early game gold famine until trade routes are established and more importantly, secure. It can also help be another way on keeping a check on city growth rather than micromanaging tile production. The Slave Trader/Market will have increasing costs with each age in maintenance and how much happiness, food and culture is sacrificed. By the time a Civilization makes an ideology choice, the notion of slavery has become repugnant to that culture (or at least industrialisation has rended it null and void) and it is abolished.

If played with, it'd give both Montezuma and Augustus Caesar the chance to have their bonuses tweaked, possibly the Ottomans given the nature of Janissaries and Barbary Corsairs.

I'm not sure quietly dropping in "Final Solution" as a valid and legitimate policy choice (and giving it a happiness bonus) is...well, it's a very bad idea. For more reasons than one. If you wanted to integrate slavery as a tenet in autocracy, an easier and more palatable choice would be "Forced Labour". Autocracy has a huge number of extra happiness choices so I'd tinker with gold generation for Courthouses.

slaves were obtained from war for the most, not from own population. at least as the state emerged, there were laws issued which prevented enslavement of citizens. and from the gameplay perspective, happiness and food are much more valuable than production and gold. slaves may increase unhappiness a bit though, and revolt probability would rise when empire is unhappy.

historically slavery in different forms was widely practicised up to 20th century, so it should not be limited to early game..
in the game i think there should be a congress resolution to ban slavery. peaceful players would vote for it to harm agressors.

about final solution, maybe yes its too much for a game.
at first i planned this effect for the Great Purge but order already has got 2 slavery tenets.
for autocracy maybe "Guest Workers" would be more acceptable - get slaves on another civ's surrender (in addition to contribution); slaves produce less unhappiness and dont revolt.

ps: wouldn't "Enemies of the People" be more neutral and thus acceptable?

Happiness and food are valuable but at harder difficulty levels, maintaining net happiness is tougher. There are plenty of occasions when allowing the city to grow that one extra population point will potentially wreck overall happiness levels which has subsequent effects for a civilization. So I think slavery would be more predominant in an earlier game than a later one.

Having slavery neutralised by the time of the Industrial Revolution (with ideology, given the prerequisites for an Ideology) would tie-in to your 20th Century comment. You can also tie in a religious trait or two with Slavery, either a religious policy like "abolitionism", "Mukti" or "Jubilee" which grants an anti-slavery bonus or "Nexum" which is a pro-slavery religious bonus.

I'd name your Slavery tenets:

"Emancipation Proclamation" or "Manumission" for Freedom, "Penal Servitude" or "Labour/Work Camp" for Autocracy (though the term Penal Servitude could be used in Order, given the nature of Gulags in the former USSR) and given your bonus for Order, something like "Krestyanskaya" as a nod to the emancipation of the Serfs.

I personally am not sure about "Enemies of the People" as it still feels like a description of a Secret Police force rounding people up.

You might consider Leugi's Slavery Mod. It's not exactly as you imagine slavery but there are some similar concepts.

what effects would you propose for slavery related religious beliefs?

"Emancipation Proclamation" or "Manumission" for Freedom, "Penal Servitude" or "Labour/Work Camp" for Autocracy (though the term Penal Servitude could be used in Order, given the nature of Gulags in the former USSR) and given your bonus for Order, something like "Krestyanskaya" as a nod to the emancipation of the Serfs.

I personally am not sure about "Enemies of the People" as it still feels like a description of a Secret Police force rounding people up.

labor camps arent unique to autocracy as you have already pointed out. "foreign workers" (fremdarbeiters) would fit better imho.

in russia serfs were emancipated by the tsar in 19th century. no connections to order.
world revolution idea implied that international communist movement will overthrow capitalism worldwide. indeed some communist revolutions occured in europe after the october revolution in russia but later it came to nothing.

"enemies of the people", is a part of society discontent with an official course. if executed or imprisoned these people cant disturb others anymore with their criticism, unanimity arises (and also common people think they are defeating a real enemy), support for the government, so the happiness rises too. imprisoned ppl work as slaves.

what effects would you propose for slavery related religious beliefs?

The obvious one (to me) is Cultural/Ritual Sacrifice - I know that's essentially Montezuma's bonus but as a Pantheon Bonus, Faith points for each captured/killed unit/slave unit. I'm sure there's another term one can use: perhaps rename Montezuma's bonus "Garland Wars".

A reformation bonus (and it'd have to be reformation) would be "any civ who manumits slaves grants a faith or tourism bonus to the civ who chooses this option".

Nexum - slaves generate +1 faith per turn per city (or scale as appropriate).

A Religious option to allow purchase of helots through faith (helots can double base tile production for ten turns before expiring reflecting the way the Spartans worked the original helots to death)

Top Bottom