Looking at Civ for my dissertation, can you help?

Meryt Amun

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I'm a gamer and archaeologist, and have combined the two for a new dissertation topic looking at video games and perceptions of ancient Egypt etc.
If anyone can share any comments/opinions on the games then that would be great.
Particularly, have they affected your interest in archaeology/ancient Egypt, and what are your opinions on their portrayals, graphics, accuracy etc.
Alternatively (or even better, as well!) you can do my quick online questionnaire
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YXPM3YQ.
Every little counts, so thanks in advance!
Happy gaming.

Meryt-Amun

Good work. I have not been particularly interested in Egypt's history, but I am always interested in their culture and their people, and I guess that by inference would mean their history as well.

Oh! In the survey, I forgot to mention Total War: Napoleon. There is an Egypt campaign in that PC game which actually sheds some light on that episode of history. When people think Egyptian history, they think ca. 2000BC and that's it. What about the other 4000 years? Further, people know very little about the battles Napoleon actually won.

If you were able to apply your research to get a job after grad school designing a historical fiction video game--especially a period of Egypt's history we don't typically think about--that would be awesome for everybody all around.

kwiksurveys.com would maybe be better, because they offer also the possibility to rate things with stars, which would fit to at least one of your questions ;).

and there's something strange at the end of the survey, I just get the next/prev buttons without a question. Don't think it should be in this way.

Indeed. It took me a while to notice a 'finish survey' button on the top right.

Oops, I closed the window without noticing that when I got to a blank screen. Does that mean my results haven't been submitted?

Very interesting questions and an interesting civ (from my perspective) to ask about. This is because I haven't had my interest in Egypt inspired by Civ, and I rarely play it in Civ, and yet I have for many civs in areas in which I'm more interested (indeed, when first playing Civ 1 and unable to be the Vikings, who I was then very interested in, with the existing Civ names, I decided to rename my Civ the Vikings and looked up a lot of Scandinavian city names. My dad was quite impressed to come across me playing with Trondheim...)

I was however very engaged in the historical aspect of the first Age of Empires campaign, from first settlement on the Nile to war against invading Hittites. And it was certainly more accurate than, say, a Christian Jacq novel.

Not that I'm uninterested in Egypt at all, it's just too well-known to really interest me archaeologically - I make a point of visiting archaeological sites when I'm there, but I don't go there for them specifically.

I think to a large extent my Civ interests follow from my real-world interests rather than vice versa (as with the Vikings years ago). I play a lot as Siam in Civ V and visited Ayuttaya and Lopburi some years ago. I played Khmer in Civ 4, having previously developed a reasonable knowledge of their history from a visit to Angkor. I was thrilled to learn Petra will be in Gods & Kings - strangely this is more of a draw for me than most of the new mechanics, probably in part because I visited the site a couple of months ago.

But there's definitely interplay. I'm a lot more interested in Mali now having played around with the Songhai, and read up on them following their inclusion in the new game (although the Malinese were name-checked in Civ 4, that game's list of anonymous cookie-cutter civilizations really made it difficult for me to get a 'feel' for any of the civs I was playing, hence perhaps latching onto one I already knew well). I'm a very big proponent of adding these lesser-known civs to these kinds of game, for my benefit as well as of more general interest. I have yet to get round to playing a full campaign of Empire Total War (the number of starting settlements and rivals all over the map makes it look daunting), but as and when I do I intend to plump for the Maratha Confederacy.

Hey guys,

I'm a gamer and archaeologist, and have combined the two for a new dissertation topic looking at video games and perceptions of ancient Egypt etc.
If anyone can share any comments/opinions on the games then that would be great.
Particularly, have they affected your interest in archaeology/ancient Egypt, and what are your opinions on their portrayals, graphics, accuracy etc.
Alternatively (or even better, as well!) you can do my quick online questionnaire
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YXPM3YQ.
Every little counts, so thanks in advance!
Happy gaming.

Meryt-Amun

Forgive my paranoia, but I've seen far too many trojans or phishing attempts disguised with almost identical preambles.
(That, and I find internet surveys frequently have too many accountability and accuracy issues to be viable for proper academic work.)

Thanks guys for all your help, much appreciated! :beer:
I played Civ III a lot over the years amongst other games of the same format and then my tutor suggested what about video games? I wanted to do something different that hadn't really been looked at before, and literature has already looked at films e.g. The Mummy and TV e.g. but nothing about video games and archaeology...and so many of us are gamers.
I'll reply properly to all your comments, but thanks for picking up about the end of the survey - I used Survey Monkey because that's what my university recommends but the only problem is they only give us 10 questions for free...so unfortunately to fit it all in in that format it just ends abruptly so apologies! :badcomp:

Edit: That's why I suggested kwiksurveys.com, they have a lot more options.

Forgive my paranoia, but I've seen far too many trojans or phishing attempts disguised with almost identical preambles.

The linked website is legit ;).

(That, and I find internet surveys frequently have too many accountability and accuracy issues to be viable for proper academic work.)

No offence taken, I know a lot of things are spam so can be hard to tell the difference.
That's one of the reasons I welcome comments on here, as I know not everyone is happy about opening links. Got a good suggestion on here for a different survey site - my university often use Survey Monkey because its simple and free (for up to 10 questions) and can allow you to generate results easily. I've done all my main literature research etc, but I wanted to see what fellow gamers thought about the topic, and welcome everyone to take part!

I wish I could send cake, but of course I'll post out the results :)

Edit: That's why I suggested kwiksurveys.com, they have a lot more options.

The linked website is legit ;).

Third party confirmation from a trusted source helps. (I presume cfc mods are trustworthy, anyway :p)

Still uncertain about the practical use of either site, though. Seems too easy to troll. (Not that I would, just warning the OP that the results may need to be considered with that risk in mind.)

Good work. I have not been particularly interested in Egypt's history, but I am always interested in their culture and their people, and I guess that by inference would mean their history as well.

Oh! In the survey, I forgot to mention Total War: Napoleon. There is an Egypt campaign in that PC game which actually sheds some light on that episode of history. When people think Egyptian history, they think ca. 2000BC and that's it. What about the other 4000 years? Further, people know very little about the battles Napoleon actually won.

If you were able to apply your research to get a job after grad school designing a historical fiction video game--especially a period of Egypt's history we don't typically think about--that would be awesome for everybody all around.

Thanks a lot!
That would be great - well game developers do use archaeologists to provide some background etc but of course depends on how they end up interpreting it and what they use. There is potential out of this kind of research, as one of the questions is whether video game accuracy is even a issue for archaeology - and as you rightfully point out, what about the rest of Egyptian history! That's the problem we always have with ancient Egypt. Interest tends to jump from the Old Kingdom (pyramids) to the New Kingdom (Tutankhamun) and then the Late Period (Cleopatra VII) so most people don't get the full picture.

Third party confirmation from a trusted source helps. (I presume cfc mods are trustworthy, anyway :p)

Still uncertain about the practical use of either site, though. Seems too easy to troll. (Not that I would, just warning the OP that the results may need to be considered with that risk in mind.)

Thanks:), well I started out doing a hard copy version but of course some of my uni friends put all sorts of things in reply - but they were easy to spot. I go over the answers online and so far they look good - if there's any suspicious ones I probably won't be able to use them. I'm doing my Masters after this, so maybe if the subject proves to be worth pursuing as public archaeology then I might be able to do a proper research project on it but as it stands it's more of a laid back study as part of my dissertation research. Already it's getting huge so I kind of wish I had a higher word count...:p

Indeed. It took me a while to notice a 'finish survey' button on the top right.
I'm not even sure if you're supposed to use that, since I clicked next three times and got a "Done" button that took me to the homepage of the website.

Oops, I closed the window without noticing that when I got to a blank screen. Does that mean my results haven't been submitted?
I'm pretty sure that if you haven't cleared your cookies your results should be saved. I completed half the survey earlier, then realized I didn't have time to complete the short answer questions, and I went back and my choices were still checked.

Anyway, interesting questions, and good luck on your dissertation!

I hope so too :D.

Serious again: We also looked up some possibilities to do surveys here, and also checked surveymonkey.com. It's just a survey site, nothing more. They offer free surveys for non-paying customers and gain money via paying customers which get more options. Also checked their privacy police, looks all okay in my opinion.

Sure, sure.
We also had people here who did interviews with forum users, but that takes quite some time more.

kwiksurveys.com would maybe be better, because they offer also the possibility to rate things with stars, which would fit to at least one of your questions ;).

and there's something strange at the end of the survey, I just get the next/prev buttons without a question. Don't think it should be in this way.

Thanks I'll check kwitsurveys out - and apologies about that - I think it's because the site only limits me to 10 questions so it must just end abruptly. If I do another one I'll definitely make sure it's better!

Very interesting questions and an interesting civ (from my perspective) to ask about. This is because I haven't had my interest in Egypt inspired by Civ, and I rarely play it in Civ, and yet I have for many civs in areas in which I'm more interested (indeed, when first playing Civ 1 and unable to be the Vikings, who I was then very interested in, with the existing Civ names, I decided to rename my Civ the Vikings and looked up a lot of Scandinavian city names. My dad was quite impressed to come across me playing with Trondheim...)

I was however very engaged in the historical aspect of the first Age of Empires campaign, from first settlement on the Nile to war against invading Hittites. And it was certainly more accurate than, say, a Christian Jacq novel.

Not that I'm uninterested in Egypt at all, it's just too well-known to really interest me archaeologically - I make a point of visiting archaeological sites when I'm there, but I don't go there for them specifically.

I think to a large extent my Civ interests follow from my real-world interests rather than vice versa (as with the Vikings years ago). I play a lot as Siam in Civ V and visited Ayuttaya and Lopburi some years ago. I played Khmer in Civ 4, having previously developed a reasonable knowledge of their history from a visit to Angkor. I was thrilled to learn Petra will be in Gods & Kings - strangely this is more of a draw for me than most of the new mechanics, probably in part because I visited the site a couple of months ago.

But there's definitely interplay. I'm a lot more interested in Mali now having played around with the Songhai, and read up on them following their inclusion in the new game (although the Malinese were name-checked in Civ 4, that game's list of anonymous cookie-cutter civilizations really made it difficult for me to get a 'feel' for any of the civs I was playing, hence perhaps latching onto one I already knew well). I'm a very big proponent of adding these lesser-known civs to these kinds of game, for my benefit as well as of more general interest. I have yet to get round to playing a full campaign of Empire Total War (the number of starting settlements and rivals all over the map makes it look daunting), but as and when I do I intend to plump for the Maratha Confederacy.

All what you've said is really interesting so thanks for posting! It's good to know how other gamers feel about the overall experience of the games and in relation to interests and activities. I know that for example, I bought Children of the Nile when I was younger, simply because it was about ancient Egypt...and yet I got a bit of interest in Egyptian mythology years before from playing a Star Gate sega megadrive game! So far it does seem to be that people who are interested were already interested in ancient history/archaeology like you say, but of course like with Mali it might still have a influence, and maybe with knowledge i.e. Civipedia. Thanks again :)

Top Bottom