Looking at Civ for my dissertation, can you help?

It's a theory of mine (never tested but, I think, self-evident, and a lot of gamers would agree) that players of strategy games are more likely to be history geeks than players of any other type of video game. My dad introduced me to the Civ franchise precisely because I was a history geek, and my interest in cultures and civilisations (including Egypt, among others) was what got me into things like Age of Empires, Age of Mythology and the Total War series as well. The industry is obviously aware of this (that, and many of them I'm sure are history geeks as well) and understands the importance of accuracy.

Then again, as I mentioned in my feedback on the questionnaire, you have things like Ramesses in Civ speaking Arabic :crazyeye:

Intriguing survey. I don't think that my general interest in history has necessarily been sparked by the Civ series, so much as my general interest in history has sparked an interest in the Civ series.

Done. I think an interest in history led to an interest in Civ rather than the other way around. But, I suspect that my interest in Civ actually reinforced my interest in history.

Done. Will you leave a note when your paper is out? Or even better -- Share a copy?

To Mr Meryt Amun
A bit of a curiosity, this survey of yours. Anyway, glad to be of assistance, hope Civilization III is not eating too much of your dissertation time.
One of the most marvellous cultures and organized societies that graced this "otherwise bleak and dreary world".
...when The Sun was The God. In a way it still is.
Best wishes

Done. Will you leave a note when your paper is out? Or even better -- Share a copy?

Hi - thanks and definitely yes! I'm working on my draft now so when it's all done I'll repost you guys :) My dissertation supervisor said I might get a publication out of it, so no pressure there haha!

To Mr Meryt Amun
A bit of a curiosity, this survey of yours. Anyway, glad to be of an assistance, hope Civilization III is not eating to much of your dissertation time.
One of the most marvellous cultures and organized societies that graced this "otherwise bleak and dreary world".
...when The Sun was The God. In a way it still is.
Best wishes

Thank you, and indeed yes - it can be all too tempting to just play the game...have to think of it as like taking notes from a book. Though it's all the write up now...
And yes, it really is a fascinating culture and it's surprising how little some things have changed.

done - good luck on your research. hopefully you are making the argument that video games are not evil :)

Done. And love the concept; Video Games and Message Boards and Online Surveys weren't really an option when I was in skool... :crazyeye:

they didnt have history classes at my school. so the amoutn of info i have learnet form civ v alone has been very very interesting. yes i have fun while learning! insanity

-ignore my spelling i am trying to multitask

I had a sort of "OH YEAH" moment when I saw that I had played all the games you had listed. :D

Best of luck to you on your dissertation. Also make sure you update the post saying the last 3 or so questions are blank, as I almost quit the page thinking there was something wrong.

So, what has become of this? Could you give us some update, Meryt Amun? Thanks!

Just finished it. Great questions.

Age of Mythology actually did help get me interested in Egyptian mythology (as well as the others), mainly because the campaigns for that game were so fun.

I think most games are accurate (especially the Civilopedia pages), while others are horrible with accuracy, such as Egypt from Rome: Total War with units which look like they came out of a movie like The Mummy. Of course, I'm not sure if that game even really counts for this question, because R:TW wasn't really trying to be accurate at all.

Just did the survey.

It's a pity that Ancient Egypt isn't represented on console games as much as China, Japan, or Rome is.

I know I'd play an Egyptian centric empire management video game, if it were made by KOEI. Assuming it wasn't a Dynasty Warriors clone, ha.

Top Bottom