Revitalizing LoR

Spirictum

Immortal
Well, I see that LoR forum is quite empty nowadays. I wasn't here before, my acitivities in CFC are recent, but this mod installed in my mods folder is a really old happening. I don't remember when I did, but I too don't remember how original Beyond the Sword is anymore. I've been playing this since it was for an earlier version then BTS 3.19.

My intention is to somehow make this alive again, I'm no modder, but I'm a huge fan of this mod. Every week I gather with some friends to play LoR. The three were introduced to Civilization playing LoR 0.9.8. They don't even know how is original BtS or any older civ game or version. And we have no intentions to forget about it, it's simply exactly what it wants to be: (an unofficial) Expansion Pack.

And when I mean we play every week, it's like we play the same game for several weeks, totalizing a hundred hours of gameplay for just a single game (as finally all our pcs can play a Huge Map game). And when we four gather to play the biggest game (as we have ourselves lots of smaller games with 3 or 2 players running at the same time), it's always at a really hard difficulty:
Marathon, Huge, Perfect World 2g, 7 starting AIs, Random, Start Anywhere, Deity with the options: No Legends (still waiting to tame Deity to reintroduce them), Start as Minors, Agressive AI, Ruthless AI, Raging Barbarians and Require Complete Kills.

To people who are used to normal BtS on deity, give a try to these options above. On Marathon, near 3000 - 1500 BC spawns a minor civ just out of your borders with 10 Swordsmen, 5 Chariots, 5 Spearmen and 10 Archers. LoR makes the game a lot harder by stopping your expansion because of Revolutions. Try to have 5 cities with despotism in early game to see what happens. Thinking to use your early warriors and scouts to get some tribal villages? Better to put them on strategic positions around you to prevent barb cities to appear (as they soon turn into a full civilization with a huge spawn like the one above - even without the needed techs, they get those units). But why not to cooperate with early civs to trade some technologies? After you get Alphabet, who else is not a minor to be able to trade with you?

The only thing I discovered yet to make the game playable (cuz as it is at Marathon Deity, it's impossible to deal with this) is to cause revolutions. Make the enemy cities revolt, and suddenly all that they have and you don't start to be possible for you. A great game, with a great mechanic, lots of needed units, better reworked traits, revolutions and a feel that it's a lot more realistic then it was before. This mod needs to go on.

I would like to see this mod continued as well and/or someone make a modmod for LoR. LoR has added immeasurably to my enjoyment of Civilization IV!

Also, one pipe dream I have is to somehow add/merge more civilizations into LoR.

I've made a Scottish civ we might be able to add in, and have got the civ-making process down pat. Assuming you don't mind buttons that are a little sub-par, I could probably churn out a few if there are requests. Might be a slight snag making it work for LoR, but I bet I can do it.

He was last on March 15th, so it probably wouldn't work so well.

I agree that LoR is a phenomenal mod, though adding more civs would go against the grain of LoR (as well as Phungus' intent for LoR).

There is a very specific reason for why there are the civs that there are in LoR. It is because with the added Traits, there is a single Civ for every possible Trait combination.

Though I will say it has been an aspiration of mine to do a LoR modmod, it is just that everytime I say "Ok, I'm going to do it this time" something inevitably comes up.

I too love this mod,
with it i've had the most enjoyable games within civilization it beats the hell out of Civ5

Along with it, the other best mod was Community Civ V (CCV for short), this one however never became finished and had some issues.

The best thing about both is that they try to merge all the features seamlessly together,
not just a great mumble of mods thrown together.

However i think it could be update*, to the newer mod components, mostly RevDCM

Would anbyone interest in playing multiplayer? In fact i'm gonna make specific thread about this.

:thumbsup: I started with Wolfshanze mod and then was surfing the website and stumbled upon this one to my surprise and downloaded it and have enjoyed it ever since. I have tried CivV and have it all the way to Gods&Kings but just somethings on there that I don't like. That and the fact that it keeps crashing about 15 mins into the game but not sure if its a mod conflict or not. Anyways I am right back here downloading this mod on my AlienWare 51 as I haven't done it yet so I can waste a night and early morning away playing one of the best mods I have ever played on any Civ so far. So I thank you Phungus for many hours of play on with a mod I love and hope to see evolve into CivV territory if that is to ever happen. Thanks once again.

I agree that LoR is a phenomenal mod, though adding more civs would go against the grain of LoR (as well as Phungus' intent for LoR).

There is a very specific reason for why there are the civs that there are in LoR. It is because with the added Traits, there is a single Civ for every possible Trait combination.

Though I will say it has been an aspiration of mine to do a LoR modmod, it is just that everytime I say "Ok, I'm going to do it this time" something inevitably comes up.

Exactly, so with the addition of the so desired Strategic trait, we can add 12 new leaders, some that could be of new civs (maybe Brazil can finally come in, there are already the two most important LHs that Brazil needed: Dom Pedro II and Getúlio Vargas).

Top Bottom