GOTM 158 Spoiler

I meant to put a bit more into the opening comment, but I had problems with my internet and then couldn't get back to it until now.

I have played and finished the scenario. I don't want to give away anything of importance, so I won't be posting logs until more closer (or maybe after) the deadline.

I did want to share a couple of events that occurred.

Before I get to that. I noticed from the start that money might be a big consideration. The Central Powers start with a sizable treasury, but their costs are very high. Unless you assign most of your efforts to taxes, you will run a deficit. I started out running 60% Science and 40% Luxuries (happiness was a bit of a factor). At that rate, the deficit was about 400 gold per turn. I stayed this way until I made the first discovery. After that, I went to 60% Taxes and 0% science.

I found it interesting that I never got any communication from the Entente after capturing cities, but I always got a message from the Russians. Many times they offered/demanded a cease-fire. Trying to stay as historically accurate as possible, I would always refuse. But then, they made me the offer I couldn't refuse. They offered 1600 gold for the CF. I couldn't refuse, so I accepted (they had 2 gold left). I was near the end of the turn and my offensive for that turn was over anyway. Of couse, on the next turn, I immediately violated the CF.

Later in the game, during one of the turn ends, the Italians sneak-attacked. They were able to capture one of my cities. I am not sure if it was during the end turn or on my next turn, but the Italians sent an emissary. Remember, they took over a city but otherwise only killed one or two units. Anyway when the emissary arrived, the offered a CF. I declined. Then they offered 3000 gold for the CF. Once again, I couldn't refuse. And, of course, once again, I violated the CF almost immediately.

I agree with haleewud that logs can wait till near the deadline - still many weeks away.

I mentioned that in the game thread. I also said
I may regret this comment I know, but because we won't be spending a lot of time on trade and growing our population, and despite the revised game entities, I am optimistic this imaginative GotM will not be such a great time consumer by Civ2 standards.
In my case it did prove a quick game.

I found it interesting that I never got any communication from the Entente after capturing cities

There is an event that disallows certain civs from communicating; it was probably used to prevent German-Allied negotiations.

Here is my log; I played all of the game after capturing Paris today, so the game wasn't too long.

July 1914: Rearrange civilization. Note that I moved a Budapest worker to the coal at
(143,61) to prevent disbandment of units when Russia steps onto another shield producing
square. Disband infantry in Budapest and Recon Plain in Qingdao because shields will be
stepped on by enemies. Dedide not to sell improvements this turn.

August 1914: Chinese Horse attacks Qingdao; Russians attack and Ottomans honour alliance.
Russians kill 2 units, lose several of their own. Japanese attack, Ottomans declare war on
them.

Munchen engineers. Use field gun and cruiser to kill 4 Jap units coming to attack Qingdao.
Take Bruxelles. After losing a field gun to a Defended Trench, I decide not to make attacks
until I have vet artillery. Make moves against Russia. Decide to attack Thessalonica, and
use that as a path to Beograd.

September 1914: Allies get New Allied armies, Ends Prussian War Morale. Entente Cordiale
complete ANZAC Forces. Allies kill themselves attacking Bruxelles, which still has city
defences. Italians and Entente cancel alliance.

First Zepplin attack, get vet Zepplin. Entente left the fortress north of Paris empty,
Infantry sacrifice themselves to discover Paris defends with infantry first.

Capture Thessalonica, then realize the fortress I've been attacking that city from is also
adjacent to Beograd. Battles in the North Sea.

October 1914: Allied Navy destroys units on coast. More Zepplin attacks. Lose 2 Field Guns
attacking Beograd.

November 1914: Japanese capture Shenyang. Paris defended only by Field Gun; capture city.
Allied Government escapes to London. Zepplin kills Field Gun defending Warszawa, capture
city. Bombard Johannesburg with a field gun, kill infantry. Lose dreadnaught and 2 cruisers
attacking Russian dreadnaught and cruiser; finally kill stack with submarine. Started
selling improvements, including many unnecessary city defences. 5345 increased to 6548.
Increase science to 70%, so that I can discover Schlieffen plan, and then decide if I want to
sell the sicence improvements.

London builds Transnational Railway. France only attacks Paris with 2 infantry.

Message: From the burning sands of North Africa, an army of fanatics attack! Europeans,
steer clear! These bandits are out for blood!

Russian attacks kill 3 units, almost liberate Warsaw.

December 1914: More fighting on the Eastern front; don't count casualties. Capture Beograd.
Italians withdraw troops. Sell buildings to increase treasury from 6363 to 7103 (after a
little rushbuying).

Washington builds Famous Beer Brand. Entente shoots down a recon plane. Russians kill 3
field guns in open (defended by cavalry and attacked by cavalry) and 2 other units.

January 1915: Japanes nicely clear out Peking, which I capture with an infantry (and
freighter) from Qingdao. Take Brest. Field gun dies attacking Johannesburg, and another one
dies attacking Mocambique. Capture Nantes with Zepplin and infantry.

Ottomans capture Tbilisi. TOKYO builds Shogun Academy.

February 1915: Schlieffen Plan (cancels German Invasion Effort). Begin Improved Ballistics.
Paris builds City Defences. Berlin Salt. Take Arta. Taxes to 70%, but I won't start selling
science improvements just yet. Income 400, expenses 411.

Some casualties between turns.

March 1915: My first Gotha G5s are complete. One from Konigsberg helps take Riga. Russians
demand 300 gold; I refuse. I attack Lyons with a Gotha from Leipzig, and an Ocean Liner
defends the city!?!? Message about how German U-Boots sink an ocean liner. Take Bordeaux.

April 1915: Cruiser Bombards Tallin, and take city with Field Gun. Discover that changing
production incurs only a 1% penalty, so go on a bit of a spending spree. Treasury: 5400
gold.

Internationals sneak attack, kill submarine. English bombers attack. Events give me German
Fighters I. Brest Shipyard (it still has Aerodrome).

May 1915: Take Pskov. Gotha makes bombing run on Moskow, defeats the only defending unit.
Gothas attack Lyons, infantry takes city. Lose Gotha to Allied fighers defending Plymouth.

Ottomans capture Krasjnodar. I didn't notice that Stettin doesn't have costal fortress, and
lose 2 units to International destroyers. Allied bomber kills ship (dreadnought?) in port.

June 1915: Two Riots, one in Breslau because I haven't been checking cities for a while.
Cavalry that was rushed (via a building) in Pskov takes Moscow! Marginal victory. Take the
empty Petrograd (though I probably should have taken the Russians up on their offer of 1400
gold). Russian government escapes to Kijev. Capture Winter Palace. Capture the Empty Minks,
and Russians get Improved Conditions.

Ottomans take Rostov.

Entente complete Deflector Gear, as do the Russians and Italians and Japanese.

July 1915: Defeat "Bolschevics" outside PETROGRAD. Make an Air and Naval assault on
Plymouth. No losses, but Dreadnought in the red. Take Plymouth. I kill adefender in London
(third field gun) and the Entente complete Canadian Army. Gothas finish the job and I take
London, and with it British Sea Commerce, Fleet Street, British Diplomats, and Trans-National
Railway. Take Kijev, more Bolscheviks appear. MAke Peace with Russians in exchange for
improved conditions technology.

August 1915: Rebels raze Luga. Moscow Riots. Sneak attack Italians, and "Tzarists derail
attempted foreign interference." Navigation error causes me to lose a Gotha.

Ottomans capture Odessa.

September 1915: Some riots in Russia. Clear the path to ROMA and assault the city with
Gothas (and a destroyer). Plenty of force left over. Capture the city (govt escapes
toConsenza). Get the Eternal City, 417 gold. Decisive Victory! Play a little more, put
some units to sleep.

1914/7 Useless structures sold. Tried in vain to reach out for peace to Japanese and Russians. Posen designated as an Engineer farm to be eventually disbanded time permitting. Berlin and Wien designated as the only European cities to grow beyond size 8. Others will be kept at 8 or below. T2L3S5

Status at 1914/7
Objectives 2 Cities 22 Techs 36 Gold 5644 Cost 374 Trade routes 25
Wonders: Great Wall, King Richard, Cure
Units: 0 engineers, 0 vans, 148 land, 26 sea, 6 air
Notes: Allied with Ottomans; War with Russian, Japanese, and English
Goals: Bruxells, trade, keeping peace with other rivals.

1914/8 Barbarian attack turns my Garrison in Qingdao vet. Russians kill one unit and lose many. Ottomans come to our help and declare war on both Russian and Japanese. Japanese lose a few units attacking Qingdao. Built 3 courthouses and 5 vans. Russian advances near Budapest caused loss of 2 Austrian infantry and 2 Guns due to lack of support.
Battle of Bruxelles: 3 Guns kill 3 defenders and 2 turn vet. One Prussian Infantry dies in attack. 2 Zeppelins kill the final 2 defenders. The city is taken for Lighthouse, Bach, 114g (expected more), and 3 structures including city walls.
Battle of Budapest: lost a gun, a cavalry, and 3 Austrian infantry on a hilltop Russian Cavalry before it was killed. Zeppelin kills another Russian Cavalry.
Battle of Krakow: Lost a Cavalry and a garrison.
Battle near Paris: Lost a gun and a Prussian infantry
Battle of Qingdao: Killed 6 Japanese units

1914/9 Allies’ discovery obsoletes Cure. Massive French attack on Bruxelles and nearby forts and trenches. Lost of their units lost, very few of mine. Naval warfare costs me 2 destroyers. 4 allies ships sunk and a cruiser lost. Ore to Amsterdam for 108. Coal to Brest for 105. Domestic Grain for 40. Wine to Japanese Nara for 80. Japanese freighter sunk. Russian Beograd attacked. Fort next to Warsaw occupied.

1914/10 Massive naval bombardment kills many Prussians but leaves a lot of wounded ships. Massive assault on and around Bruxells. Japanese sink my Freighter. Warsaw easily captured after killing its single defender. Got 64g and 3 structures. Machine guns kill the defenders of Paris. The city is captured for Shakespeare, 170g, and 5 structures. Defenseless Brest for 26g and 3 structures. 7 allies ships sunk near Bruxells. Domestic Coal for 27. T3L3S4

1914/11 Withdrew troops rather than provoke neutrals and Italians.
Schlieffen plan -> Improved Ballistics (needed tech for building fighter planes but it does not allow me). The new bomber plane just achieved obsoletes my valuable Prussian Infantry!? This makes no sense.
Domestic delivery for 36. Coal to Nantes for 90.
Allies Thessalonica captured for 14g and 2 structures. My forces suffered heavy casualties trying to capture Nantes.
Reached out to Japanese for peace and accepted their gracious offer of 5150g for peace! T1L3S6

1914/12 Russian Beograd captured for 29g. Allies Arta and Nantes captured for 15g, 14g. 4 Prussian infantry landed in a fortress north of London. Heavy casualties inflicted on Lyons. First allies Trench destroyed.

Status end of 1914
Objectives 3 Cities 30 Techs 37 Gold 4660 Cost 456 Trade routes 46
Wonders: Great Wall (obsolete), King Richard, Cure (obsolete), Lighthouse, Shakespeare, Bach
Units: 2 engineers, 5 vans, 110 land, 21 sea, 12 air
Notes: Allied with Ottomans; War with Russians and English
Goals: London, capturing remaining allies cities of mainland Europe, non-European trade, keeping peace with other rivals.

I finished last night and will submit later this afternoon. I finished in 1915. Will post my log later so as not to reveal the dates of my marginal and decisive victories.

Retrospective observations:
Science past the first tech was useless. I realized that trade is a money losing endeavor (particularly with vans costing 90 shields) but did it for the science boost. In the end it was a waste of real time and game resources. With airlift things could have been better but I learned of it too late to take advantage of it. My first long distance van became ready for delivery on the last turn.
The strategy of ignoring trenches and attacking cities was very effective.
Zepplins early on and Gothas later were my tactical advantage and were immensely useful. I ended the game with 15 Gothas and 6 Zepplins. 5 or 6 of the Gothas were rushed in the last turn. For some reason the allies never attacked any of my planes. I heard they had one fighter plane; maybe I heard wrong.
Ottomans were a loyal ally to the end and inflicted a lot of casualties on Russians.
Peace with Japanese in Nov 1914 for the princely sum of 5150g was probably my best single decision in the whole game.

Thinking about this scenario I was wondering when various players finished. The reason being that judging from the events file, it seems that the designer expected much later finish times. For example, the tech for fighter planes is given in turn 11 (May 1915) to Germans and turn 13 to allies. Italians will first be enticed to back stab Germans on turn 15 and there is an Irish uprising in Spring of 1916.

In contrast Prof. Garfield finished in Sept. 1915 and I finished even earlier. I never used fighter planes and from his log there is no indication that the Prof. used them either.

I wonder approximately when other players (Inkerman, haleewud, Major (are you playing?)) finished. Did you get to 1916? Did you use fighter planes?

All seasoned GOTM players are super good at Civ2 and the knowledge of the game has advanced a lot since its early years but much of that was irrelevant in this game.

I finished. I didn't keep a detailed log. About the only thing I kept track of was which cities I captured each turn. I was able to capture Roma in October 1915, 1 turn later than Prof. Garfield. I did not use any fighters. I did use Gotha G5s. I had 19 by the end of the game. I abandoned science after completing the Schlieffen Plan. I didn't do any trading and I didn't try to do any airlifts. I was able to take over Johannesburg, Lagos and Monrovia in Africa. I still controlled Qingdao at the end, but it was empty for multiple turns and the Japanese were next to the city. I probably would have lost it during the next turn.

I never used fighter planes and from his log there is no indication that the Prof. used them either.

I built 2 fighter planes, after losing a ship in port to an allied bomber; I never really used them, but I invaded England a little sooner than I was expecting.

...it seems that the designer expected much later finish times.

The author probably just used the historical dates for such events. Also, it might take longer to win as the Entente, Russia, or Italy. Mostly, I bet the scenario wasn't designed to Frustrate AGRICOLA.

It's Remembrance Sunday here in the UK today.

As to GotM 158, I did not do so well as others already reporting but I will still post a log.

I commented in the game thread how tremendously impressed I was with the appearance of this scenario. The map, the customisation of units, buildings and wonders etc - all marvellous.

Planning

I spent a bit of time before starting making notes, which I put in the game thread organised using spoiler buttons. I did not look at the events file. I had two turns of aimless play as most of the powers.

I had not managed to make full sense of the tech tree. I thought I had resources to make some advances, but these would be perhaps every four or so turns, so I shouldn't count on too many. The air warfare improvements looked as if they would use a lot of advances for marginal benefits whereas those for land and naval warfare had shorter paths and were of more clearcut advantage.

The generous amount of money we had suggested a wonder might be taken.

I had no real idea but I suppose I was expecting the war to last between two and four years. My general plan for the medium term was to be modest in ambition for the western front whilst looking to make gains against Russia and build up the navy, as the conflict with Britain was the key.

As to 1914:
Europe
Sell buildings quite aggressively, beginning in July.
Disband some Budapest and maybe some Wien infantry, as shields near them in short supply - clever depiction of the Austrian food shortages that were a feature of the war.
Capture Bruxelles in August, and expect Entente to launch many attacks.
Mass artillery for anything after that.
Aim to take some near cities from Russia - rebalance a bit of strength that way.
No attempt on Serbia or Greece.
Look for tactical chances to use submarines to improve naval position.
Overseas
Build Aerodrome Rabaul to take trade deliveries from Europe.
Not spend a lot of money on Qingdao as Japan navy so strong.
Take Lagos as we have seen AI do that.

July 1914
Mutinies: Doula, Lome, Qingdao, Windhoek,
Celeb: Danzig, Prag, Budapest, Konigsberg, Stettin, Frankfurt,
One unit to move.
Disband 5 infantry, some re-homing.
Sell 1 building in each European city - the rail network is taken over by the military effort.
Qingdao - disband liner, finish courthouse.
3 tax, 4 intelligence, 3 luxury. Building cost = 369. 4.17m

Enemy planes shot down into Brest, Lyon.
Russian attack - Ottomans declare war in our support, and in turn also on Japan.

August 1914
4.25m. Cost 362 at end of turn.
Capture Bruxelles + its wonders.
Destroyer lost attacking Lagos.

Entente completes New Allied Armies - cancels Prussian War Morale.
Event trigger - Entente completes ANZAC.
About 25 Entente units lost in attacks in which we lost 3 units.
Italy and Entente cancel alliance.

September 1914

City celebrations end.
4.52m. Building cost = 346 at end of turn.

10 Entente units lost in attacks on us.

October 1914
Capture Riga and Warszawa.
Entente puts air stack defence in front of Paris.
4.73m. Building cost = 340 at end of turn.

Sneak attack by International Forces.
Entente completes Day Bombing Raids - DH4 bomber appears.
Italy declares war on us.
Japanese complete Modernisation and start Shogun Academy.

November 1914
Lift supplies to new aerodrome in Rabaul - from Breslau as enemy fighters near Berlin.
We make no attacks on western front - aircraft are blocking two stacks and need to rebalance for international and Italy threats.
4.71m. Building cost = 340 at end of turn.
Stettin can't build ships?

Free Nations complete export more goods, and start famous beer brand, and have nearly done it.
Entente bombers kill two Prussian infantry - I suppose this as a way of simulating attrition, but it seems a bit sci-fi.
Japanese destroy all Qingdao defenders.

December 1914
Mutiny in Riga.
Discover Schlieffen Plan -> Improved Railway - cancels German Invasion Effort.
Message that Albatros replaces Eindecker, will compete with DH5 and Nieuport 11, this is untrue.
Capture Amsterdam - International Government escapes to New York.
Van, Berlin-Rabaul, Wine, for 794g - about half a discovery.
4.83m. Building cost = 352 at end of turn.

Washington builds Famous Beer Brand.
Entente complete Trench Warfare.
2 more Prussian infantry killed by bombers.
Japanese nearly done Shogun Academy.
Japanese capture Shenyang from Chinese.

Have 3 engineers - think this is OK.

January 1915
Capture Tallinn.

Kobenhavn may be protected by aircraft.
Entente completes submarines.
Tokyo builds Shogun Academy.

February 1915
Discover Improved Railway -> Improved Ballistics.
Army reaches 5m.
Capture Kobenhavn.
Van, Wien-PortMoresby(Entente), Wine, for 280g.
Capture Odessa. Russian defended trench disappears.
15 Austrian, 28 Prussian, 3 German infantry. 24 garrison.
5.28m. Building cost = 365 at end of turn.

Ottomans take Tblisi.
Free Nations complete Wartime Economy.
3 units lost to Entente bombers incl vet German infantry.
Russians complete Improved Ballistics.
Japanese complete dreadnoughts.

March 1915
Russians give Improved Ballistics for Ceasefire.
Van, Munchen-Petrograd, Ammo, for 78g.

Entente completes Moroccan Army.
2 units lost to Entente Bombers.

April 1915
Start on Battleships.
Capture Milano, 426g.
Reject ceasefire - decline offer of democracy, decline offer of 2600g.
Move next to Roma, do not attack at 1/2 strength.
Move large stack of field guns next to Lyon (between double stacks of defended trenches.)
Lost Zeppelin carelessly - out of fuel helping Turk attack on Bucarest.
Spend 3000 on Trans-National Railway.
Pop 5.67m, cost 370g.

Germany is flying the Eindecker message.
Ottoman Empire completes Deflector Gear.
Japanese complete Blockade Tactics.
Curiously Qingdao isn't taken though defenceless.

May 1915
Discover Battleships -> German Fighters II.
Berlin builds Trans-National Railway.
Sell local mining and munitions plants.
Van, Prag-Rabaul, Gold, for 560g.
Capture Roma - Italian Govt escapes to Consenza - this gives Eternal City (HG)and 484g.
Accept 1100g for ceasefire and make peace.
Entente cruisers are just offshore.
Capture Stockholm, International govt escapes to New York.
Attack and capture Lyon - got one of the DH4 bombers at the end.
Lux to 40% - may get a citz or two more.
End of turn: 6.2m, cost 351. (which we could raise by severely limiting science.)

Free Nations complete War Bond Companies.
Entente complete Improved Railway.
4 units killed in Entente turn.
Rebels take Qingdao, taking 220g.

June 1915
Navy shells Oslo and it surrenders - government escapes to New York. We get 90g. 6.24m, cost 363g.

Ottomans capture Krasjnodar.
Free Nations capture Monterrey.
Eindecker defends Bruxelles.
Entente completes Deflector Gear - message says they can hit back at the Eindeckers.
Russians complete Deflector Gear.
Italians complete Deflector Gear.
Japanese complete Deflector Gear.
Japanese complete Submarines.

July 1915.
Capture Marseille.
7.63m, cost 370g.

Ottomans complete Beer Brewing.
Ottomans capture Rostov.
Entente complete Allied Air Bombardment.
2 units lost in Lyon to DH4s.

August 1915.
Complete German Fighters II -> Heavy Mortars.
Eindecker gets the DH4s.
Plan to ship from Rabaul to Darwin aborted when lead destroyer sees Entente cruiser at back of Port Moresby. Rabaul can't build coastal defences (like e.g. Stettin, Rabaul, Stockholm, unlike e.g. Bruxelles, Milan.)

Free Nations complete Rationing.
Rabaul destroyer sunk.
Eindecker in Bruxelles does defensive work.
Japanese take Peking, Qingdao.

September 2015.
Start readying invasion of Britain.
Peace with Japan, swap Colonial Troops to get Import More Food.

Entente complete Day Bombing Raids.
Ship fighting in the Channel, Entente ships shell Marseille and Italian cities
Japanese discover a flying tech.

October 1915.
Berlin adds Officer Academy.
Lost destroyer in Med.
Attack Lagos using Gun from Windhoek - too strong to capture.

November 1915.
Attack by field gun on Bucarest fails.
Capture Perpignan.

Free Nations complete Day Bombing Raids.
Entente complete Mass Infantry.
Japanese complete Trench Warfare.

December 1915.
Complete Heavy Mortars -> Trench Warfare.
Japanese don't want tech swap.
Launch attack on Britain using three freighters.
Shelling Newcastle releases Canada Army.
Van, Breslau-Brunei, Wine, for 270g.

Rabaul is bombed.
Italy completes Trench Warfare.

January 1916.
Capture Newcastle and Glasgow. Take Clyde Shipyards. Govt escape to London. Ship attacks on London - hit coastal patrol fleet, some losses, but freighter is just able to pop back to Amsterdam and get a cavalry to capture the just vacated city. 3 more Wonders taken.
Govt flees to Canada.
Marginal Victory.
Entente is down to 0 money.

Russians complete Trench Warfare.
Japanese complete Day Bombing Raids.

February 1916.
Complete Trench Warfare -> Mass Infantry.
Capture Bordeaux.
We have been arguing with Russians - attack by shelling Petrograd - Senate allows it.
Capture Petrograd.

Entente completes Allied Fighters I.
Italians capture Tarfaya.

March 1916.
Capture Helsinki.
Capture Plymouth.
Capture Sevastopol (the Turks had emptied it.)

Free Nations complete Recruitment.
Easter Rising comes and goes in Dublin.

April 1916.
Capture Paris, and the Champs-Elysees.
Capture Nantes.
Capture Luga, Pskov.
Van, Tallinn-Rabaul, Petroleum, 342g.
Trying to get forces to take Moscow, going via Pskov from the coast.

Madang bombed.
Japanese complete Mass Infantry Tactics.

May 1916.
Rabaul Albatros shoots down DH4.
Capture Brest.

Ottomans complete Blockade Tactics.
Entente completes Export More Goods.

June 1916.
Complete Mass Infantry Tactics -> Stormtrooper Assault.
Van, Windhoek-RioDeJaneiro, Ammo, for 56g.
Gotha bomber removes only defender in Moscow.
Capture Moscow.
Capture Dublin.
As we take Minsk Russians complete Improved Factory Conditions.

End with 50 cities, pop 15.52m, 2487g, bldg cost 521g.

I found it interesting that I never got any communication from the Entente after capturing cities, but I always got a message from the Russians. Many times they offered/demanded a cease-fire. Trying to stay as historically accurate as possible, I would always refuse. But then, they made me the offer I couldn't refuse. They offered 1600 gold for the CF. I couldn't refuse, so I accepted (they had 2 gold left). I was near the end of the turn and my offensive for that turn was over anyway. Of couse, on the next turn, I immediately violated the CF.
and other similar comments from other players.

I acknowledge that everyone else reporting played more strongly than me. You all seemed to get what was going on sooner. Whilst I, like the commander of the British Grand Fleet, feared a rash attack could lose (or at least significantly setback) the war in an afternoon, you just attacked and conquered.

As previously remarked I found this quick game to play although slow to start because of the need to understand the wonderful customisation. I appreciate the large amount of work that must have gone in and the designer did a tremendous job of setting it all up. Having said how impressive I found the customisation, I didn't think the game actually played very well. Maybe it is only suitable for multi-player? No doubt some of that is down to limitations of trying to model a largely military situation using the tools available in Civ2. I suspect that trying to make the less significant civs (Ottoman, Italy, Japan) playable didn't help either.

I was rather hoping that as the Central Powers there might be decisions about the balance between the different fronts, about submarine warfare and relations with America, about making the most of the economy, and about resolving the tactical stalemate of entrenched defensive positions. But I know that's hard and was perhaps a bit ambitious.

The biggest single question to my mind was why all that money was sloshing around, even before you went off and sold buildings. Surely the resource you would want the powers to have plenty of is infantry, not money.

Some other questions, and I fear I could think of many more, are why certain government types were chosen, why there were so many barracks and so few veteran units, why the AI was discouraged from defending its cities with ordinary soldier units (like happens in normal games), and what was supposed to be going on with the sci-fi air units.

Thanks to Ali for setting this; I've found it very interesting.

Great questions Inkerman. I suppose the only one who can answer some of them is the designer. He is still around though not active in Civ2 anymore. Perhaps others would like to ask some questions as well and then we can message him and ask for some commentary.

1915/1 Washington builds Michelangelo. Internationals sneak attack and kill a sub. They also take lightly defended Beograd and take 63g.
Beograd razed. I was planning on disbanding it anyway. Bucuresti rendered defenseless but there are lots of units around it. International ocean liner sunk. Got a message about American Bankers doing something negative and I think I lost about 1000g since my treasury is now in low 3000s as opposed to low 4000s.
Johannesburg captured for 16g.

1915/2 Improved Ballistics -> Heavy Mortars. T3L3S4
Amsterdam conquered for 160g. Lyons captured despite putting up massive defense. It has been the most difficult city to capture yet. Athens captured.
Russian Riga easily captured for 48g. Minsk falls just as easily for 66g. According to the Rules.txt Russians should get Bolshevism at this point. Instead they got Improved Conditions which is the next tech but Bolshevik rebels do appear near Petrograd the next turn.
Domestic wine for 30. Deliveries to Australia for 66, 44.

1915/3 Deliveries to Australia for 85, 140.
Bordeaux captured for 3g. Killing of the first British Infantry in London gives allies the tech for Canadian infantry. London had just 2 defenders! Really? I killed nearly a dozen, maybe more, in Lyons. London captured for Colossus, Oracle, Eiffel, 9g, and 8 structures. Marginal victory achieved.
Pskov captured for 19g and 2 structures. Russian cities seem to be lightly defended. Accepted Russia offer of 1300g for a cease fire and another 550g for peace leaving them penniless.

1915/4 Delivery from Africa to Washington for 150; this was in progress since turn 2.
Violated peace with Russians and attacked Moscow. Rush bought 3 Gotha bombers the turn before with their ransom money but only needed one since Moscow had a single defender. Moscow captured for 5g and 3 structures.
Kobenhavn captured for 118g and 4 structures. Durban captured for 1g. Allied attack on DaresSalaam repelled.
Time to provoke Italians. They fell for it. I demanded they withdraw their troops and they declared war. 3 Gothas kill 3 defenders of Rome. The city is taken with a unit brought aboard a rush built freighter. Decisive victory achieved: 6 objectives and 42 cities.

Top Bottom