Final Fantasy Style Advanced Airship Mk III

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
After about a week's worth of delays due to having to re-render almost every single animation at least once, I've finally returned with a new unit; The third design of my generic Advanced Airship for FF mod civs that don't have a unique modern era airship.

For those of you unfamilliar with what I'm talking about, here's a brief history:

First up is the Mk I Advanced Airship, which was also my first unit ever. Basically it is a blimp with some extra stuff stuck on here and there:

Not too good was it?

Next came the Mk II Advanced Airship, which was the first production model... Unfortunately it looked like a giant flying sausage, and the death animation left a LOT to be desired:

My dissatisfaction with that unit (especially since I saw it a LOT during the modern era of my playtests) led me to design the Mk III, a preview of which can be seen here:

Download

Well, I hope you enjoyed it.

BTW, props to Wyrmshadow for the explodey effects in the death animation.

Next up on my "re-do" list is the Steam Airship and the Red Wings.....

Wowz, yes the death is VERY nice, but not just because of the explosion, you did some good collapsing there! Definately an improvement, definately a very nice unit!

The VTOL jets are great, I may have angled them during the run, but it still works. Torpedoes (well I guess they'd technically be missiles if they're in the air...) and main cannons look painful.

EDIT: w00t! first posto.

I bet it was a pain to wait for the death to render? Hmmmmm?

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked it. :)

I bet it was a pain to wait for the death to render? Hmmmmm?

Not really.... Only about 30 minutes per direction, but I had longer render times when I did the Land Battleship and some of my earlier units..... Then again, those were done on my old, crappy notebook (Pentium III with 512M of RAM).....

Besides, I just got DOSbox, and played some of my favorite old-school games (Zone66, OMF 2097, etc) or got up and did something else while it was rendering.

What WAS annoying was finding some small bugs in the animation after rendering 2-3 directions, and having to re-render the whole death animation (all directions) at least once.... That alone held up the release for 2 days.:mad:

I also appreciate the older versions as well as this excellent new one. 1st looks pretty steam punk to me, and 2nd has that streamlined Art Deco look (maybe last era in a Steam Punk mod, hint, hint).

Weeeeellllll...... Some of the guys at the steampunk forums have expressed some interest in seeing a SP mod for Civ III, not to mention King Arthur's in-limbo
Steampunk scenario. When I get done with the FF mod, I'm going to see about working on a re-vitalized SP mod, only this time basing it off of popluar Steampunk series and themes such as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Gir Genius, Tenku no Shiro Rapyuta, Howl's Moving Castle, and Steamboy.....

After about a week's worth of delays due to having to re-render almost every single animation at least once...

Now that's something I can sympathise with.

This is a really great unit and the death is certainly spectacular. I have to say that I do still like your original one a lot too (very steampunk, as Blue Monkey said), although its death definitely left a lot to be desired.

Now that's something I can sympathise with.

This is a really great unit and the death is certainly spectacular. I have to say that I do still like your original one a lot too (very steampunk, as Blue Monkey said), although its death definitely left a lot to be desired.

Actually, if you all like that design so much, I have a greatly-improved version that is nearly the same (except that I moved the main cannons to the sides rather than the top and bottom) that I did for the Fallout mod: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=155247

I could re-do the fallout airship with a less rusty and beatup/more brass and cast-iron look for anyone's stempunk modifications.....

Mmm! Mmm! Good! :thumbsup:

Are you familiar with the Command & Conquer universe? Because with a few tweaks, the Mk. III would make an excellent ORCA.

Top Bottom