Pot of Scalding Oil

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
Someone requested a pot of scalding oil for a medieval mod a while back. I gave it a try at the time but was too inexperienced to finish it. This is my final product.

There are only three FLCs: Default, Attack and Death. Basically this is a last ditch city defense weapon and should be given the "immobile" unit ability. It should be given a defense value but not an attack value. Bombard value is optional, however, I would give it 0 bombard range if you do decide to give it a bombard value. That way it will support units under attack but not be able to project its oil beyond the city.

And here's the file:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6747

Gary Childress, thank you for this interesting unit.:)

Looks nice! :)

This is the kind of simple units that everyone wants, just that no one seriously considered making it before.

Thanks guys! I think I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of things. Unit making definitely requires practice. :)

I also thought of another angle on the game stats for the unit. If you give it more than 1 move AND give it blitz capability, I think it should be able to lend bombardment support to multiple attacks in the same turn. This might be a good idea if you decide to give it 0 defense value and simply use it as a bombardment support weapon for your other units garrisoned in the city. That way you would only need one of these units per city. Just an idea. I haven't tried it to see if it would work or not.

Hmmm. I just tried to give the unit blitz and more than one move in game and it didn't work. So scratch that. Oh well, so much for that idea. :lol:

The blitz and multiple moves only work on immobile defensive units with OFFENSIVE bombard capabilities (i.e. they have the "bombard" box checked under actions), as the Makou cannons in the FF mod have proven out......

The blitz and multiple moves only work on immobile defensive units with OFFENSIVE bombard capabilities (i.e. they have the "bombard" box checked under actions), as the Makou cannons in the FF mod have proven out......

Hi Hikaro,

Thanks for your Bryce totorial BTW! I'm kind of disappointed about the limits to the blitz capability. I'm working on a WW2 mod and was hopping to introduce assault guns to the game and give them multiple support opportunities. Looks like that's out. :(

I guess zone of control will have to do along with a one time bombard support capability. I'll make them cheap enough to be worthwhile.

I'm wondering, is there a way to make it more likely for them to successfully snipe? If I increase one of the values in game, will that increase the likelyhood of knocking hit points off of passing units?

God you are on fire.

I guess zone of control will have to do along with a one time bombard support capability. I'll make them cheap enough to be worthwhile.

I'm wondering, is there a way to make it more likely for them to successfully snipe? If I increase one of the values in game, will that increase the likelyhood of knocking hit points off of passing units?

well, since oil is not a precision attack, I would not worry about making it too accurate.
Another possibilty (test for game play impact). Give it blitz, movement of 2 but immobile, a very low bombard value but several bombards per attack. ie: get hit by a small splash not much of an owie. Hit by a bigger splash, bigger owie...

lots of possibilities... most of 'em have someone ending up looking like a doughnut.

Top Bottom