The Sinister Scheme of Dr. Fu Manchu

Cam_H

Deity
The Sinister Scheme of Dr. Fu Manchu​

“It is said that the Devil plays for mens' souls.
So does Dr. Fu Manchu: evil incarnate!”

Leader:

Wang Kon of Korea renamed "Fu Manchu" of the Si-Fan underworld organisation:

Financial: Plots yielding at least 2:commerce: receive +1:commerce:
Protective: Free City Garrison I and Drill I for Archery and Gunpowder units, and +100%:hammers: for Walls and Castles
Hwacha: Catapult replacement with +50% vs. Melee
Seowon: University replacement with +35%:science: (rather than +25%:science:)
Mining and Mysticism.​

Victory:

All victory conditions are enabled.​

Variants (before victory is achieved):

The Mask of Fu Manchu!

Fu Manchu will use the Si-Fan to cause confusion and mayhem within the Korean Empire! City after city will have their City Governors and army replaced, and once the old and pitiful Korean empire rule has finally been usurped, Fu Manchu will undertake a doppleganger transformation, cunningly presenting himself to his new minions as the former weak but fancied leader; Wang Kon!

[Korea must be eliminated.]​

Fu Manchu : The Puppet Master!

A diabolical blueprint to cripple the Western World! Through guile and chicanery, Fu Manchu will cause an international divide to bring forth an era of global distrust and suspicion!

[During the course of the game, bribe one of Russia or China to declare war on England or America ... or ... bribe one of England or America to declare war on Russia or China.]​

The Shadow of Fu Manchu!

The ever seeing-eyes of Fu Manchu are the bedrock of dastardly strategies that feed only to strengthen the power and influence of the Si-Fan over 'the white devils'!

[Use spies to 'steal plans' from at least two of the following three cities; Moscow, London, Washington provided at least two are under foreign control. If at least two of these cities are not under foreign control at game's end, then this variant requirement can be ignored.]​

The Master Plan of Fu Manchu!

The influence and the power of Fu Manchu and the Si-Fan will be second-to-none! While wily in its insidious nature at first, the world will soon cower to the power and might of Fu Manchu! “Mwah ha ha!!!”

[On the turn that the game recognises victory, the Si-Fan will be ranked #1 on the score card.]​

Game Set-Up:

Monarch difficulty - Terra map - standard settings.​

Rivals:
  • Stalin of Russia
  • Mao Zedong of China
  • Roosevelt of America
  • Churchill of England
  • Gandhi of India
  • Wang Kon of Korea

Revised Roster:

FiveRings
woopdeedoo
lymond
FiveRings
woopdeedoo
Cam

(vranasm: retired)​

The first turnset of the game will be of 30 turns duration. The next turnset of the game of 20 turns. 10 to 15 turns per turnset after the opening two depending upon game conditions. Players are expected to complete their turnsets within three days of completion of the preceding player's. Swaps and skips are allowed. Players may be removed from the roster. Players may not 'play ahead' until the game is completed.​

Start:

Attachments

• Fu Manchu 1 BC-4000.CivWarlordsSave
    74.3 KB · Views: 92
Nice theme you got here...

I am not sure if I am able to run Warlords (proud owner of CIV Complete, but never run Warlords), I suppose I should check for patch?

Plains cow glitch.... :)?

So if you have interest for another player, I would sneak in... (after I will confirm my ability to actually play :-D)

I saw the Plains Cow glitch, and figured there'd be enough food around that spot anyway. ;)

Very happy to have you on-board if you can get Warlords happening!

No need for video playsets ... FiveRings can't download them.

I'm up for this one. I feel like a totally different player on Warlords. (edit: not in a good way)

Seems that Domination should be the sole VC for Fu - World Domination that is...muwhaha!

Warrior 1NW seems logical to look for possible "real" food and maybe settling on the PH. SIP looks dandy too. Gotta love a plains cow.

Nice! :)

I'll give woopdeedoo and FiveRings and extra turnset per round ... seeing it is kind-of a tutorial thing.

soo i can confirm that i am able to open the save.

now i go look for some interface mod :-D

edit:

as it seems there is no better interface mod :-(

I checked the tech tree :) looks weird without Aesth and Lib->MT will be superstrong here :).

As to our start. I am inclined to move the capital to one of those plain hills to reduce the unhealth and not waste FP, but that would mean probably not so great production for capital.

As for the techs. Depending on food... I think going with agri->ah->TW->pottery should pretty strong here.

We will need to farm at least 1 FP if there is nothing better around.

I don't understand well the first variant, ie, that Korea has to be eliminated. Looks like WE are Korea...Please, excuse my stupidity...

I think that most probably we have the ocean to our W, so going onto the hill with the soldier will likely reveal only water or water with some seafood. I don't mind settling on the forest hill in the case that there is two seefood somewhere there, but I know settlement on coast is not considered a good idea. Maybe that forest hill by the ocean will be a good place to settle one of the minor cities... in case we don't SIP, of course...

I like the idea of going to one of the bare hills to NE or SE, but it's far from obvious that there will be anything worthy in the East, and the NE hill loses the cow. Am I the only one who is not thrilled with the starting position?! And the most risk-averse in the team?!

Well, I see no better alternative to SIP. However, if this is agreed, then I doubt the soldier needs to go to the forest hill, seems better to start SE and then move counter-clockwise, saving a couple of turns: nothing very much of course....

I guess I like the Agri-AH-Wheel (TW?!)-Pottery sequence.

I also think a worker will come up before the Agri, and use it to speed up growth till AH and pottery. after that I'd go warrior- warrior, or warrior-settler if a new nice place is around (I usually delay the settler, but this is (1) coupled with BW and whipping, and (2) settling faster a second city worked very well in the last SG.

BTW, is TW a typo, meaning a BW in diguise, or its the evel woorkings of the Fu Manchu?

Cam, I think I don't mind very much losing in a scenario like this one...again...:lol:

Also, I never liked playing the Koreans, so have no much experience, but isn't the UB and the strating position kind of pointing to a focus on launching? It's too early to say, I know...

TW is indeed The Wheel.

No reason to go BW before commerce with this start. I have even doubts about going BW before Writing when we're at it (depends on horse though).

I would not storm second settler. Worker - warriors til size 3/4 (depending on food) hears fine.

I tried today some starts under Warlords and it looked like the starts don't get normalized! Which is pretty bad and means SIP is not automatically strong position.

The other thing I saw is that fractal can get you pretty bad land :-D

By the way, the HOF mod for Warlords, while not near the scope of BUG, does provide some additional interface features such as improving the advisors. However, it is a stand-alone mod, so the save would have to be generated after installing the mod.

Blue Marble does work for Warlords, but you would need to run the install again if you just installed Warlords.'

Oh yeah, did not notice what looks like coast there. Still the best move for the warrior regardless. I'm fine with take a turn or 3 moving the settler around a bit. First of which would be to zip the settler right on over to the Plains hill for some scoutage. It just very well may be the place to settle. Looks to me that there is a hill adjacent to that Plains Hill, so there will be some production.

I never played Wang on Immortal and never got much use of the UU on BTS - other than just as standard siege spam. However, I'd imagine the Hwacha will be quite strong on Warlords considering.

@ FiveRings

WE are Fu Manchu of the Si-Fan!

Out there somewhere is Wang Kon of the Koreans ... a pathetic excuse for a leader that fawns and panders to the Westerners with no understanding of influence and power!

It is our mission to seize his pissant nation, and trick his weak-willed citizenry by initiating a series of battles within Korea which to them will be unexpected and inexplicable. Our Si-Fan army of pure evil will be total in its victory!

The foolish Korean citizens will be confused by these city conflicts, but eventually they will be placated as Fu Manchu will fool them all with his masterful skills of deception by taking the throne with his uncanny carbon-copy looks of the admittedly popular but ineffectual and feeble former Korean leader.

:devil:

@lymond and @vranasm

Do you guys really need the crutch of a mod in order to play a game on Monarch? ;)

Please ensure you're patched to 2.1.3. though.

@ FiveRings

WE are Fu Manchu of the Si-Fan!

Out there somewhere is Wang Kon of the Koreans ... a pathetic excuse for a leader that fawns and panders to the Westerners with no understanding of influence and power!

It is our mission to seize his pissant nation, and trick his weak-willed citizenry by initiating a series of battles within Korea which to them will be unexpected and inexplicable. Our Si-Fan army of pure evil will be total in its victory!

The foolish Korean citizens will be confused by these city conflicts, but eventually they will be placated as Fu Manchu will fool them all with his masterful skills of deception by taking the throne with his uncanny carbon-copy looks of the admittedly popular but ineffectual and feeble former Korean leader.

:devil:

Evidently, I am not up to Fu Manchu... Sorry, I should have looked more carefully through the list of AIs AND remember these are the AIs only... Thanks for the clarification, though!

Still the best move for the warrior regardless. I'm fine with take a turn or 3 moving the settler around a bit. First of which would be to zip the settler right on over to the Plains hill for some scoutage. It just very well may be the place to settle. Looks to me that there is a hill adjacent to that Plains Hill, so there will be some production.

I tend to disagree as to the warriors move onto the forest hill. Seems to me that we are not in a very forested part of the Earth (we are on Terra, right!? IIRC ,one continent settled with (almost) all the empires, the other waiting to be occupied) and the more tiles are seen at the beginning, the better. Anyway, as there seem to be two votes against mine on this, I'll comply - guys, I AM curious enough to see whether there is seafood there! and I am almost sure there's at least one - I guess the sugar and the cow come with a seafood for the settlement on the forested hill!
That is, I'll move there if noone else suuports the shortcut I suggest. And how about me playing this evening? Should we discuss much further.

With regard to the hill move: I can't be 100% sure, but from what I saw on the save - it's a FP 1S of the hill to the NE, and all the other tiles seem to get us too far away from the FPs. Might be good to settle on that hill though: I am far from sure, but it might provide us with an additional hammer in the capital city, it gets quite a few FPs, and the forest hill to the West becomes a perfect place for a late city.... BUT, the risk of getting deserts all around, North, East, and SE of the potential capital seems significant. I seem to remember some maps like this, where all the resources are crampled within a small territory and there are deserts all around... Not on Terra, on Fractal which I usually play, but this could be Terra then. I have no clues as to where we are on Earth!

Bottomline: please, let me know if we need some more time to discuss. If no one intervenes, I'll be going for that hill tonight, and, most probably, settling there or returning back if all the area is desolate (Cam can reload to a normal start, I guess, or you'll have a game with a higher difficulty than expected...which is true anyway with me on the team, I guess?:cool:)

BTW, if you feel that I am making the game a lot harder than it should be, I will be willing to forfeit my double turnset, but this will be:sad:, :sad:, :sad: indeed. Please, bare with me and don't let me :cry:!

@FR

There is probably needed some explanation why we suggest the "scouting" the way we are.

The problem with initial position is numerous way.
1) we don't have much food (FP's doesn't cut it directly since with farm it's 4F tile and plains cow glitch is surely known as one of weakest food starts)
2) we are directly on FP throwing away 6 yield tile right at the point of settling.
3) There is pretty big health issue going with the amount of FP's in the BFC of SIP.

That's why we look around for "better place". Moving on plains hill (and the west and east are both PH) isn't actually losing turns, since if you SIP you will need 15T for worker. If you move and settle at T1 on PH your worker will need only 12T to completion (as you rightly observed you will get 2F2H1C city tile).

Since we are on Monarch we can use more turns before settling for scouting, because we surely can compensate later with some optimal gameplay.

I wouldn't move from those FP's too much though. We should try to have at least 5 of them in BFC with holding on at least 2 hills and not much brown (plains) tiles.

It would be actually great if you would make the initial scouting as suggested by Lymond and we should consider the options then.

I was informed that my suggested tech path is a bit unclear ;-).
We need Agri and AH for generating food to grow our capital. That's probably clear.
Now why I want to go TW->pottery before BW.
It's basically about pottery or BW (TW is there just due to be the requisite).

We are financial, every riverside tile is immediate 3C commerce and with the FP's around we get basically 6 yield tiles to work.
Flood plains are good for building settlers and workers (they are food positive and contribute while we work them)
and lastly we don't have many trees around (like almost no trees) and of course with such low food we can't directly whip, so we need BW only for the copper which could be negated with finding Horses.

Early pottery will speed up everything. Even if it will probably not speed up the BW directly it could every other tech later and will allow us quick expansion once we grow the capital to size (which will be the tough part).

^ Great explanation vranasm! :goodjob:

Bottomline: please, let me know if we need some more time to discuss. If no one intervenes, I'll be going for that hill tonight, and, most probably, settling there or returning back if all the area is desolate (Cam can reload to a normal start, I guess, or you'll have a game with a higher difficulty than expected...which is true anyway with me on the team, I guess?:cool:)

BTW, if you feel that I am making the game a lot harder than it should be, I will be willing to forfeit my double turnset, but this will be:sad:, :sad:, :sad: indeed. Please, bare with me and don't let me :cry:!

I also agree that the hill move makes sense. It's really not uncommon to check with the roster in cases like this whether to settle in place or not.

You are required to play double turnsets! No getting out of that one! :nono: ;)

I do agree with scouting for a better spot. Moving the Warrior to the NW forest hill (to check if coast or river) and the settler to one of the hill SE would be my move. From the screenshot, there seems to be more rivers to the East as well so there may be a much better spot there... I think...

btw I realized now that if we settle on the PH 2E1N we will lose the cows and then we can probably go strictly agri->TW->pottery if there will be no other lucrative food around ;-).

Will speed up the tech path much more and worker should have enough work (12T to build, 5T? farm FP ~ 17T) agri+TW should be around 17-18T anyway. So while waiting for pottery you could lay down some roads in the direction of future city spot.

But I think we really should decide on the settling spot once you make the scouting move ;-)

Top Bottom