RBTS5 - Multiple Personality Disorder

Turn 1: I see I probably won't make that much military progress this turnset; our troops are just too wounded and too far away. I will build some garrison spears though, since we don't need City Raider 3 Maces on garrison duty. Also (and this is more a curiosity rather than a criticism) why the forge builds everywhere? In a war when I'm short on cats, I'd be building those in newly captured cities close to the front before forges. Do we really want the happiness?

Turn 3: Education comes in, and only Peter will make a trade. I make the very one-sides trade of Education for Philosophy, Theology, his gold, and his map. I tried to get him to throw in war vs. Toku, but he wouldn't. I don't like giving 4200 beakers to get 2900, but I do like getting four turns closer to Liberalism.

Turn 7: Toku moves a six unit stack next to our southern city. I destroy it with zero losses.

Turn 9: Great Engineer is born in the capital, but the AP and Sistine are gone, so we can discuss what to do with them.

Turn 10: Ok, the army is in the south (with a few units on the way), but we only have 2 cats with them. All of our conquered cities have cheap garrison units. We are ONE TURN FROM LIBERALISM! :) So let's discuss what we want to grab.

The Roster:
Sullla
sunrise089 - just played
Dantski - up!
TheArchduke - on deck
Swiss Pauli

The Save:

PM'ed you

Can't offer a good idea for free tech without looking at the save first.

Is our immediate goal taking out Toku ASAP? Do we want to keep all of his cities or raze and replace some? Maybe its time for the dotmap club to come out of hiding!

Also (and this is more a curiosity rather than a criticism) why the forge builds everywhere? In a war when I'm short on cats, I'd be building those in newly captured cities close to the front before forges. Do we really want the happiness?

Because we're an Industrious civ with double-speed Forges, and a Forge is a great thing to build in an undeveloped city because it speeds up the construction of every further city improvement. In the Industrial Age, a factory is often the first thing I build in newly-captured enemy cities (unless they came lacking a granary). :)

- What do we want to use our Great Engineer on? Which wonders are still available?
- Assuming we get Liberalism, what tech do we want to take?

I'd look at the save file, but I don't have access to it. For the time being, you should probably attach save files using the "attach file" option. That seems to be working OK, and it avoids the need to exchange emails/PMs.

I for one love to establish forges asap, as Sulla pointed out, afterwards everything is sped up.

I love snatching Nationalism with Liberalism as it is expensive and the Taj Mahal would be great. Also our next GP should be spent on a GA as well.

We could use the GE on a GA, grab Nationalism and build Taj for another GA, seeing as we have MoM. Normally I wouldn't bother with Taj without Marble, but with GA power we can probably build it before the switch.

Thinking about this again: maybe the switch will cancel the GA :dunno: so we might be safer to grab Nationalism, GE the Taj then use the next GMan for a GA.

Luker's Comment:
But then again, it may reset the golden age to the beginning :)

Was going to play it now but I'm unsure how we want to proceed yet so I'll wait until some sort of consensus is reached

Perhaps you need a 'test' golden age. Use your GE to start a golden age which would finish one turn before the switch... then see whether it gets affected. Then you can use that information to inform future planning.

Or, if you don't feel it's cheating, just test it and see.

Was going to play it now but I'm unsure how we want to proceed yet so I'll wait until some sort of consensus is reached

Just go ahead and play. Do what you think is best. This isn't a high-pressure game - the goal is to have fun. If you do something that's major :smoke:, we'll discuss it afterwards and everyone will learn from it. :)

If you do something that's major :smoke:, we'll discuss it afterwards and everyone will learn from it. :)
Sullla - you missed the most obvious result ... "we'll point it out with total glee and spend a goodly amount of time giving you a hard time and laughing" :D:D:D

ok I think I'll use the GP to golden age build Taj and see how that goes

...and keep bullying Toku naturally

I take Nationalism for free.

Only Peter is willing to trade and won’t offer us a worthwhile deal.

I’ll wait for the monastery to finish in Madrid, then start a GA build for Taj while also swapping to free religion.

With the change to free religion, Ramesses is now completely neutral towards us, Shaka is at +4 but not pleased and Peter is up to +7. Darius still doesn’t like us.

I take the weakly defended Izumo with no losses. Despite discovering Feudalism (finally!) the previous turn, Toku hasn’t upgraded anything to Longbows yet. Taking Izumo also added an extra turn to his research.

Shaka randomly decides to cancel trading us gems + gold for clams and fish. I can’t get him to part with the gems for anything less than 3 resources so I don’t agree to anything.

Peter demands we cancel our deals with Darius. I agree. Since we only have open borders with him.

Engineering --> Guilds

Ramesses uses a GE to build Taj. Notre Dame is built the same turn.

Toku moves a stack to retake Izumo, should be safe but I upgrade a Spearman to a Pike just in case.

The stack splits up to pillage. I take out an isolated catapult. I move our stack towards Shimoseki.

The stack, bolstered by some catapults in the fog, attacks Izumo. Aside from one HA withdrawing, they are all killed. At the same time he attacks our stack but again with little effect. All this gives us a GG in Madrid, I’ll let the team decide how to use him.

I destroy all but one unit in Shimoseki after 2 softening catapults. The next player has the option to take it next turn. I don’t take it because we’d only have 1-2 units in there this turn.

And that’s the final turn. Many of our cities are building temples or other happiness related buildings as we’re suffering a bit there. Guilds finished on the last turn and the next player can decide where to go techwise. Toku has started upgrading to Longbows now, but so long as we knock the defences down, our highly promoted Praets/Maces/Berserkers have no problem.

Here’s the south at the moment, the stack shown is 1NW of Shimoseki.

We’re also up to #1 in GNP and production, albeit by a small margin.

Archduke is UP!

Attachments

• RBTS5 - Personality Disorder AD-1450.CivBeyondSwordSave
    277.9 KB · Views: 53
We actually managed to get Liberalism first, despite our shaky economy! :goodjob: Wow, Emperor really isn't as tough as it used to be in Beyond the Sword.

I didn't realize Notre Dame was still available, or I would have suggested rushing that. Too bad we weren't able to post a savefile due to CivFanatics' server problems! Ah well, no big loss. We'll make due. Ramesses really likes the wonders, doesn't he? If we want to go a-conquering overseas, he would be a good first target.

I destroy all but one unit in Shimoseki after 2 softening catapults. The next player has the option to take it next turn. I don’t take it because we’d only have 1-2 units in there this turn.

Go ahead and take it! :hammer: The AI is good at whipping additional defenders in cities, not so good at capturing them. If you can put 2-3 units in a captured city, it's almost always worth it do so.

Looks pretty good. Our GNP and production numbers are skewed upwards by being in a golden age, but we don't have to tell the AIs that. ;)

Oh, one more thing (TM). Why haven't we met the last AI yet? There are purple borders showing in the NW on the minimap, but no contact. I had a work boat 90% of the way there on my turnset! I know I mentioned that in my turn report. Looks like there was some miscommunication somewhere... :lol:

I don't think Notre Dame was really possible. We had a period of about 1-2 turns to rush it, but of course I'd already used the GE on a GA.

Also I didn't remember anything about the work boat in previous turns. It started next to some ice as far NW as it could go and I started bringing it home for some reason

One thing I forgot to mention in my report was that Toku had 2 galleys in Izumo. He might not have the option of sailing past us to his old core now.

Top Bottom