Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

I've been trying to work with Dancing and Toffer with revamping the worker mining icons, which are very much 'more of the same and them some more of the same' icon wise currently. It's doubly vexing when worker guidance is completely unable to understand the iterative improvement system and it is convinced you want to replace that lumber mill with a lumber camp. Fixing that particular issue is what I would not expect from anyone.

Im currently working on bigger project (C2C Polish translation) but its almost done. Soon im back to normal C2C modding and Ill help with icons. I made tons of icons for C2C and adding few ones its not a big deal :)

I'd dare say the translation is far more important :)

Last time I looked at the issue of updating worker build icons, the Firaxis .FPK viewer was not recognizing anything with the .FPK extension. I was just glancing at it, I'll try again later.:lol:

Cheers!
-Liq

I'd dare say the translation is far more important :)

Last time I looked at the issue of updating worker build icons, the Firaxis .FPK viewer was not recognizing anything with the .FPK extension. I was just glancing at it, I'll try again later.:lol:

Cheers!
-Liq

This would be the correct folder to add new/additional worker build icons inside:

Assets\Art\Interface\Buttons\Builds

There are two XML files that need to be changed to apply the new icons.

CIV4BuildInfos.xml & CIV4ArtDefines_Improvement.xml which are found in Assets\XML\Units & Assets\XML\Art, respectively.

Hope it helps. :)

EDIT: Use this tool to view/edit FPK files: View attachment PakBuild.7z

Yeah I picked that up from CFC's file depot, it's the tool I was using. For some reason it thinks there is no .FPK in \Assets, and if I show all files it hates on something like...

Terrain.FPK and its cousin in crime, the dreaded terain1.FPK

It geeks out and complains about that not being a valid .FPK

Not sure where these real .FPK files are hiding. There is definitely nothing going by the path Assets\Art\Interface\Buttons\Builds in any uncompressed folder,
I have only Assets\Art\Interface\Buttons\
Actions
Buildings
Promotions
Religions
Techtree
units

No Build folder.
Is Assets\Art\Interface\Buttons\Builds hiding in an .FPK I cannot see in Pakbuild? I've literally been looking for a \build directory off and on for a week now, nothing has changed.

:wallbash:

Not sure why this has to be so difficult. :)

I'll stop thinking about it for a while and get to the real reason for this post!
---

The suggestions!

---

Before I start to put serious work into this and going explicit, I want to know, is it sheer modding inertia that makes the player unable to train tamed animals once aviation is discovered or is there a real intention to stop the animal abuse from a design point of view?

I could get to fixing the cascade of obsolescences at work here, but I have to know if people even want the player to build Fluffy the Tamed Cave Bear once they can fly?

---
Trader units:

Boring Historical Reasoning!
Spoiler :
Historically, until Yellow Coach Manufacturing Company's exceptionally amazing deuce and a half truck was chosen by the US Military in World War Two, the one that ended life as The Truck that Saved The Free World, everyone else was using horses still for transportation of everything not situated next to rail. It's rare to see horses in war time films, so it's easy to forget that only the United States' trucks, lend leased all over the world, were the only game in town during the conflict. It took that sort trade truck to fuel full out mechanized warfare the Germans only dreamed of in 1942.

To that end, once Supply Trains are taken off a super flaky building like castles (Castles must be one of the shorted lived building themes), have them the default trader until Mechanized Warfare arrives to supply one with Motorized Freight.

This new Motorized Freight should be at least as fast as a light tank with 4 base move if not more, because of the alarming commonality of the morale promotion.

To that end, as the Cold War started, cargo planes started moving entire armies; where are the troop and trader jets?:satan:

Cheers!
-Liq'd

The AI does not understand transporting troops except by sea. Every attempt (so far) to get it to use land or air transport to move troops etc. has failed.

Yeah I picked that up from CFC's file depot, it's the tool I was using. For some reason it thinks there is no .FPK in \Assets, and if I show all files it hates on something like...

Terrain.FPK and its cousin in crime, the dreaded terain1.FPK

It geeks out and complains about that not being a valid .FPK

Not sure where these real .FPK files are hiding.
I'm guessing you are trying to click File-Open, when you should click PAK-Unpack like this: Untitled-1.png

There is definitely nothing going by the path Assets\Art\Interface\Buttons\Builds in any uncompressed folder,
I have only Assets\Art\Interface\Buttons\
Actions
Buildings
Promotions
Religions
Techtree
units

No Build folder.
Is Assets\Art\Interface\Buttons\Builds hiding in an .FPK I cannot see in Pakbuild? I've literally been looking for a \build directory off and on for a week now, nothing has changed.
The path is not there because it's hidden in the FPK file. You can just create the missing folders for the path I gave you and put the new icons there. Files with the same name and path outside the FPK as can be found inside it, will be loaded last when the game launches and effectively overwrite the files that are in the FPK.

Hope its a bit clearer for you now. You can really put the icons anywhere inside assets as long as the XML points to the correct file for its button; although we do like there to be a standard to where what types of files are found in the mod.

Hope its a bit clearer for you now. You can really put the icons anywhere inside assets as long as the XML points to the correct file for its button; although we do like there to be a standard to where what types of files are found in the mod.

Thank you, yes. :)

Beats sussing though time warped cfc posts for how to properly use a custom archiver, I was trying to open the file though File>Open.. inside PakBuild proper btw.

And yes, interesting how flexible the Assets folder options are but no need to make a mess of things. Finally can see the magical folder named Build.

The AI does not understand transporting troops except by sea. Every attempt (so far) to get it to use land or air transport to move troops etc. has failed.

That's a shame, I recall now the days of the Game of the Month crowd relying on marathon archipelago maps :lol:

A shame really.

Cheers!
-Liq

So I hit the Tech Industrialism with bated breath eager to see what would brake during the cascade of obsolescence. I saved the game right after and on load saw what the friendly Civs were willing to trade me to see what bonus holes were left...

Rope.

It appears that Industrialism killed the Rope Weavers Hut (right, obvious) but it turns out the Rope Factory needs the Tech Plastics to build, so I can trade for rope or leave without it. Rope is needed for at least one important building, the Shipwright.

The ironic thing is that the plastic based Nylon bonus is not absolutely required for building the Rope Factory, one can still use Leather or Cloth yet the Rope Fatory is the only building that is affiliated with Nylon.

How about be able to build the Rope Factory at Assembly Line and give a wide range of clothes and shopping related buildings additional gold for the Nylon bonus.

Here, I'll do the grunt work for you.
Spoiler :
Seeing as this game pays out the most of the cash on the consumer end as opposed to the manufacturer's end (a few exceptions relying on fabric), I focused on those % gold buildings whose flavor text seems they would be relying heavily on nylon products (they are everywhere, honestly).

I'll skip the entire unique corporations buildings, those are based on proper map bonuses.
Holographica Apparel Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Cybernetica Apparel shop +1% gold with Nylon
Neon Boutique +1% gold with Nylon
Electronics Store +1% gold with Nylon
Surf Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Military Surplus Store +1% gold with Nylon
Bridal Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Magic Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Bazaar +1% gold with Nylon
Tailor Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Costume Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Antique Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Textile Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Shoe Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Cloth Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Carpet Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Sail Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Mall +1% gold with Nylon
Rope Factory +5 gold with Nylon

To wit, Nylon fibers are one of those cost cutting materials that are ubiquitous in the Modern World; it would be a shame for them to be ignored.:)

Cheers!
-Liquidated

So I hit the Tech Industrialism with bated breath eager to see what would brake during the cascade of obsolescence. I saved the game right after and on load saw what the friendly Civs were willing to trade me to see what bonus holes were left...

Rope.

It appears that Industrialism killed the Rope Weavers Hut (right, obvious) but it turns out the Rope Factory needs the Tech Plastics to build, so I can trade for rope or leave without it. Rope is needed for at least one important building, the Shipwright.

The ironic thing is that the plastic based Nylon bonus is not absolutely required for building the Rope Factory, one can still use Leather or Cloth yet the Rope Fatory is the only building that is affiliated with Nylon.

How about be able to build the Rope Factory at Assembly Line and give a wide range of clothes and shopping related buildings additional gold for the Nylon bonus.

Here, I'll do the grunt work for you.
Spoiler :
Seeing as this game pays out the most of the cash on the consumer end as opposed to the manufacturer's end (a few exceptions relying on fabric), I focused on those % gold buildings whose flavor text seems they would be relying heavily on nylon products (they are everywhere, honestly).

I'll skip the entire unique corporations buildings, those are based on proper map bonuses.
Holographica Apparel Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Cybernetica Apparel shop +1% gold with Nylon
Neon Boutique +1% gold with Nylon
Electronics Store +1% gold with Nylon
Surf Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Military Surplus Store +1% gold with Nylon
Bridal Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Magic Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Bazaar +1% gold with Nylon
Tailor Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Costume Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Antique Shop +1% gold with Nylon
Textile Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Shoe Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Cloth Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Carpet Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Sail Factory +1% gold with Nylon
Mall +1% gold with Nylon

To wit, Nylon fibers are one of those cost cutting materials that are ubiquitous in the Modern World; it would be a shame for them to be ignored.:)

Cheers!
-Liquidated
I'd back everything about this suggestion. Would anyone be willing to take responsibility for implementing this?

Intermission time, one of comedic proportions:

The Sevlopedia never said anything about this.

Cheers!
-Liq

Looks like a lot of that comes from combat classes and promos. Doesn't really matter if its only 0 str though.

As has been said often buildings should not obsolete until after you can build their replacement. In this case I think the Rope Maker building should never obsolete.

On the fresh water terrain issue - the only solution I can think of is to have two new terrain types Lake Shore and Deep Lake. Like the different oceans and coasts C2C has these would not be put in by the map scripts but by the post map script process. It would replace all Coasts which are Fresh Water with Lake Shore and Oceans with Fresh Water with Deep Lake. We would reuse the current coast and ocean graphics. (If it works.)

This will stop animals spawning there (until we change crocs;)) and give a new vicinity terrain for new buildings etc.

I ninja added the rope factory in to add a flat 5 gold with nylon since iirc the factory itself had no % gold bits. Could go for a 2% gold on Rope factory, not to mention the other factories, as they are all factories and not spam-able gold+ buildings.

---

The buff worker bit was a shock to me until I finally realized I had a 500ish exp great commander with his strike force sitting sentry on a peak three tiles away exactly. It was a quiet border, what can I say?

You were right about combat promotions TB but these perks were being wirelessly transmitted!

I will not admit to just how long it took me to realize that fact at the time.:lol:

---

Oh goodness, I used the wrong form of 'break'; spell check caught me inattentive! The God of Pendantism will surely strike me down now that it's quoted!:crazyeye:

Cheers!
-Liq'd

Ok well you suggested I post new threads when I have suggestions, well I was not quite done with harping on the industrial age!

The Tapestry Maker's Workshop obsoles with assembly line yet there is no other building that replaces it. Makes no historical sense to ditch tapestries as is and it's a pretty niche product, it's more of the gold issue though.

I suggest you just remove the 'obsolete at assembly line' bit from the workshop and let sleeping wall rugs lie. :crazyeye:

Cheers!
-Liquidated

On the fresh water terrain issue - the only solution I can think of is to have two new terrain types Lake Shore and Deep Lake. Like the different oceans and coasts C2C has these would not be put in by the map scripts but by the post map script process. It would replace all Coasts which are Fresh Water with Lake Shore and Oceans with Fresh Water with Deep Lake. We would reuse the current coast and ocean graphics. (If it works.)
I will take a look at re-texturing those lakes when you've added them. ^^

Been thinking about deserts that are far north or south, I think they should be independent terrains called "Cold desert/Dunes/Salt Flats" with a slightly changed texture; meant to further define animal movement and spawn.

The same could go for dunes that are surrounded by other dunes being called "Dead Dunes, where absolutely no animal would go. There are a lot of animals that live in small dunes but none in the middle of the Sahara. ^^

So see if you can spot my suggestion!

I research the 781k beaker tech Realism and one of the world wonders, The Bolshi, offers me free a free theatre in every City. I have to even look up when I picked up drama for that building. Sure enough, there it was, sitting in the classical era for 57k beakers.

I laughed... and laughed again.

Cheers!
-Liq

One more, promise I'll pretend I can sleep after this one.

The steamboat port is just one of a long line of river access trade buildings. It obsolesces at Submarine Warfare for what reason, river subs? Tack that one on the nonsensical relations board, it can cozy up with flight killing the tamed animals. :eek:

More seriously, the Steamboat Port gets peacefully replaced in turn by the Ferry Terminal from the Coast Guard Tech right after submarine warfare. Please allow the Steamboat Port go away quietly and at the players leisure.

---

By the way, no one objected to saving the tamed animal from the dangers (obsolescence) of flight. If no one still complains, I will do the grunt work to fix the cascade of fails that comprise the slow agonizing shift from mounted to mechanized. Keep in mind I will overhaul the entire damned process! I'm warning you! :crazyeye:

Cheers!
-Liq deprived.

Can someone provide a link to the latest SVN build, please? I'm encountering a CTD situation but need to confirm whether it's been resolved already before I report it. Thanks.

Can someone provide a link to the latest SVN build, please? I'm encountering a CTD situation but need to confirm whether it's been resolved already before I report it. Thanks.
Welcome to CFC; if you download tortoise SVN and create a folder anywhere called anything, you can (shift) right click it and choose SVN checkout.

Enter this URL:
svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/caveman2cosmos/code/trunk

After this you can right click the folder and see SVN update & export.

Export is used to move all the relevant files from the SVN folder to your "working copy" of the mod in "BTS\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos". Whenever you want to do an export you just delete all the files except the user settings folder from your working copy; followed by an SVN export to the now almost empty working copy folder.

Then you can whenever you want, update to whatever SVN version you want, on your own accord.

Huh - I guess I was closer than I thought. I got scared off when I clicked on that thread and saw:

Prepare a folder to contain your copy of the project

Create an empty directory that will hold your working copy (i.e. - local directory on your machine which will be your 'image' of the central repository - this is where you will make your changes when you want to contribute them and where other people's changes will sync down to). I strongly recommend that this is NOT your 'live' copy in 'program files/firaxis/...'. Mine is in \development\C2C, but the location doesn't matter - just put it somewhere convenient where you have space.

Thanks, Toffer90.

Edit: That fixed the CTD error. Hooray!

Also, I love the new Da Vinci Tank, working elections, and increased Great Person research points. Double hooray!

Top Bottom