C2C - Religions discussions and ideas

The Interfaith wonder spreads all religions to all cities, but what about religions or cities that are founded after that. Should the religions be spread to all cities and new or conquered barbarian cities also get all religions?

It should (in my opinion) only be limited to cities/religions that have already been founded. This makes Interfaith more desirable if it is built later, and, IIRC, somebody said it should be moved further forward.

EDIT: Why the Hellenic shrine (Statue of Zeus) only able to be built in cities size 6+, but all other shrines don't have that limit?

I personally do NOT like the Interfaith Project in its current state and should be removed, until which case it only give the Civ that did the project the Interfaith in that one city and then can be spread via missionaries etc. (My opinion)

I personally do NOT like the Interfaith Project in its current state and should be removed, until which case it only give the Civ that did the project the Interfaith in that one city and then can be spread via missionaries etc. (My opinion)

I am going to remove it. It is one of The_J's mods and it does not fit well with C2C.

Would it work to divide Christianity into Early-Christianity and Catholicism. They would appear in that order.

Would it work to divide Christianity into Early-Christianity and Catholicism. They would appear in that order.

There are mods that do that and add Protestant, Coptic and other variants as well. The main problem is graphics, followed by what the differences are. Then we would need to do the same for the other religion variants.:mischief: The Rapture mod started providing some graphics for variants.

Early Christianity would have high war weariness while Catholicism would be militaristic.

I think I have found a way to have monasteries go obsolete as Scientific Method and not completely cripple your research. Animal enclosures/cages produce some science at the same point. I am experimenting with it at the moment.

Should be relatively simple to fix IF you are able to reduce the benefit of multiple religious monasteries to only one +10% bonus, regardless of amount of monasteries, i.e, they don't stack their benefits, and simultaneously giving Scientific Method a +10% science bonus.

For ease of play the +10% science from a monastery could be limited to only being in effect if said religion is your state religion.

Cheers

I was looking through the pedia and noticed something interesting, the jainism cathedral gives +1 gold per a city with the religion...
Is that intended? I noticed they lack some buildings but that seems like it could balloon out of control

I was looking through the pedia and noticed something interesting, the jainism cathedral gives +1 gold per a city with the religion...
Is that intended? I noticed they lack some buildings but that seems like it could balloon out of control

There are three cathedrals that give gold Jain, Voodoo and Nagi (or have I confused it with Ngai). Even when I have all three in a city it does not go out of control because I can then build some of the buildings that cost money. ;)

Even though it is per a city that has the religion?
I mean, if you are running lets say 20 cities, 5 are big enough to have the cathedrals, every city has the religion that would be 20 gold in each city with a cathedral being a total of 100, or am I missing something here? It just seems to me to be a huge gold advantage later in the game, as you will get more and more cities with them, it will increase the gold income you have exponentially, and I find, at least as far as I have gotten so far on the slowest setting, that gold is already too easy to come buy since in the classical era on noble, I am running 100% sci with a gold surplus of 100

How much does it take to upgrade your mil units?

How much money do you have to spend for Research bldgs?

Do you have 20 cities? Building a Library in each city will cost you ~5 to 8 gold per city. Well there goes your 100 surplus. Upgrading that axe man to Mace? that's 58 to 95 gold a pop. Want to build Universities when you get the research? How does 20 gold a Univ sound.

Maybe you're also wasting money at 100% research when 90% gets it done in the same amount of turns? Or 80%.

At Classical era is your reserves over 1000 gold? 2000? Even 5000? What happens when you get invaded by 2 neighbors at the same time and need to upgrade your army to hold them off or even survive. Will that 2000 reserve last long? (No!)

There is actually only 1 Real problem with the Religions in the Mod; Too many interdependancies in the Tech tree. You found religion A and it opens up religion C in 2 techs which then opens religions D and F in 3 or 5 techs etc. So that a Spiritual AI Leader or a Player beelining their favorite Religion can oft times found a substantial #. Polytheism and Mono have been separated and it has improved the spread but many of the others need the same attention and separation as those 2 received.

JosEPh :)

There is actually only 1 Real problem with the Religions in the Mod; Too many interdependancies in the Tech tree. You found religion A and it opens up religion C in 2 techs which then opens religions D and F in 3 or 5 techs etc. So that a Spiritual AI Leader or a Player beelining their favorite Religion can oft times found a substantial #. Polytheism and Mono have been separated and it has improved the spread but many of the others need the same attention and separation as those 2 received.

I agree however the techs required need to be linked somehow since they naturally lead to the other. I still have not thought of a better way to enable religions other than say giving every religion their own dead end tech. This would help stop beelining but then many civs would just skip those techs. Plus it seems too cheesy anyways.

These techs have been some of the most tweaked and altered tech in all the tree to try to solve this issue. Its too bad so many religions cluster up around that spot of the tree.

Naturalism - required for Shamanism, Druidism, Ngaiism, and Tengriism, and other fitting religions (Voodoo???).

Dualism - required for fitting religions. (not sure how many there are but the tech is already there.)

Pantheonism - required for Asatro, Greek/Roman mythology, and other fitting religions.

Polytheism - required for Hinduism, and other fitting religions.

Monotheism - required for Judaism, Christianity, and other fitting religions.

Spiritualism - required for Confucianism, Buddhism, Taoism, and other fitting religions.

Transcendentalism and/or Ascendentalism - Required for some futuristic religions.

My idea is to have these separate and and at dead ends. The Religions themselves can be set in one of two ways:

1. Each Religion is an own tech, dead-ended after it's main priority (Naturalism for Shamanism, on top of Shamanism's other prerequisites, which it still needs).

2. Each religion is baked into the other existing techs but without the fundamental way of thinking for a religion it won't be "discovered". These techs should preferably not be in line with each other but well spread apart.

I prefer type 1 so that anyone bee-lining for a bunch of religions will drop behind in the tech race, at least for a while.

I have no idea about coordinates for the tech tree so there I can't be of any help. I could read up a little on the various religions in the game (via Wikipedia) and suggest what base type religion tech would fit best.

I certainly don't agree with it being too cheesy to have them at dead ends, Hydro. Rather the opposite as religions in their prime were quite important and a lot of study (theology) went into them by some of the most brilliant minds of the time.

Cheers

Transcendentalism and/or Ascendentalism - Required for some futuristic religions.

I just heard of this, on the Histroy channel for the first time two months ago, some good and bad stuff here, but as Arty Johnson of "Laugh In" would say, "Very Interesting."

@BlueGenie

I think Pantheonism and Polytheism are the same thing. For instance the Aztec/Mayan rlegion "Naghualism" had many gods which would make it polytheist but also a Pantheon of gods much like the Greek or Norse gods with a Mother and Father deities as well as a god for just about any factor in life. Gods for life, gods for death, gods for animals, gods for weather, etc.

I certainly don't agree with it being too cheesy to have them at dead ends, Hydro. Rather the opposite as religions in their prime were quite important and a lot of study (theology) went into them by some of the most brilliant minds of the time.

If I recall DH had a problem with a tech for each religion last time I brought it up.

EDIT: Here is what I brought up nearly a year ago (Jan 7th 2011)

Timeline of World Religions

Ok so strategyonly and I have been working on making room for additional techs by separating each column with spaces. While RoM and AND had a lot of techs there were some ares that were left out. This post is ment to brainstorm for each area. Please chime in if you have ideas or comments about this subject.

* = Already in the Game

Religion Techs
- Shamanism (Req Personal Adornment AND Tribalism AND Petroglphs)*
- Tengriism (Req Horseback Riding AND Shamanism)

- Druidism (Req Naturopathy AND Mysticism)
- Yoruba (Req Folk Dance AND Mysticism)

- Hinduism (Req Sedentary Lifestyle AND Polytheism)
- Kemetism (Req Stargazing AND Polytheism)
- Mesopotamism (Req Pottery AND Polytheism)
- Asatru (Req Ship Building AND Polytheism)
- Hellenism (Req Athletics AND Polytheism)

- Naghualism (Req Sacrifice Cult AND Calendar AND Polytheism)
- Andeanism (Req Construction AND Polytheism)

- Jainism (Req Meditation AND Hinduism)
- Buddhism (Req Meditation AND Hinduism)
- Confucianism (Req Meditation AND Code of Laws)
- Taoism (Req Meditation AND Philosophy)
- Shintoism (Req Ancestor Worship AND Polytheism)

- Sikhism (Req Hinduism AND Monotheism AND Clockworks)

- Ngaiism (Req Livestock Domestication AND Dualism)
- Zoroastrianism (Req Duelism AND Monotheism)

- Judaism (Req Mesopotamism AND Monotheism)
- Islam (Req Education AND Monotheism)
- Christianity (Req Theology AND Judaism)
- Voodoo (Req Yoruba AND Christianity AND Fundamentalism)
- Mormon (Req Representative Democracy AND Christianity)
- Bahá'í (Req Steam Power AND Islam AND Christianity AND Buddhism)

- Scientology (Req Globalization)

Arg ok I have been looking over all this stuff all day. I will post the other subjects later. So here is just the religious techs. I tried to pick the most logical. Here is also a time line for the techs I found on the web.

There is also some room for other religious related techs too I think.

If I recall DH had a problem with a tech for each religion last time I brought it up.
It was much too simplistic. If I remember my history of religion at university from 30 years ago correctly. Judaism was first a pantheon, then a dualistic (God and Wife of God) then ended up as monothstic with just God. This is why the tech were in that order in vanilla BtS.

At Classical era is your reserves over 1000 gold? 2000? Even 5000? What happens when you get invaded by 2 neighbors at the same time and need to upgrade your army to hold them off or even survive. Will that 2000 reserve last long? (No!)
JosEPh :)

I am in 376 ad 1340 turns
And I have 25890 gold +126 a turn 167 sci a turn at 90%, with the last ten percent going into esp, with six cities, my confusion wonder that gives +1 gold per a city with state religion is spitting out 20 gold alone

It was much too simplistic. If I remember my history of religion at university from 30 years ago correctly. Judaism was first a pantheon, then a dualistic (God and Wife of God) then ended up as monothstic with just God. This is why the tech were in that order in vanilla BtS.

wrong. Judaism never had God with a wife.

Top Bottom