C2C - Transhuman Era

@MrAzure

DH just reported that you chnaged Cloning to have no tech requirements. Before it had Gene Manipulation tech. Was there a reason you removed it without giving it new tech requirements or leaving the old ones?

Edit: thanks for fixing it, TAG mistake

New Transhuman Era Religions [beta stage]
All made up by me..

For centuries, Western thinkers assumed that religion would decline throughout the world as scientific ideas spread and replace "superstition" with modern, rational, secular ways of life. In recent decades, however, that assumption has faded. Across the globe, religion remains an influential force, one that impacts how we view ourselves, each other, and the world around us.

In the late 90s we began to see the rise of 'new age' religious thinking, and the rise of Atheism, but new religions gave rise with new advances in the science of holographics, artificial intelligence, simulated reality, robotics, novus chemistry, space exploration, and artificial life, among others. This religious ideology has lead to a split of faith groups; between those who maintain the growth and faith, and those who see new religious ideologies. As science became indistinguishable from magic, many new ideologies were born, and Atheism slowly lost a huge following.

This has sparked the birth of new ideologies over the middle 21st Century until the early 22nd; , Prometheus, Enigmo, Futurisma, Rotersand, Anima , Singularity, Magika, Binariamor , Astron , and Virtrio .

1. Prometheus religion, founded by Peter Weyland in 2023,but gained wide acceptance with the rise of Exocortex networks, believe achieving such "faith and psi powers" like thought scanning, telepathy, hyper sense, psychokinetic, and omnipresence through digital and genetic research means, is part of a prophecy of "We are the Gods Now". Promethusians believe with these new technological advances, humans will live in a new era of optimism and prosperity, and World Peace will be a reality since everyone will hear each other’s thoughts and find war unbearable on the mind. This is the opposite of traditional theologists who believe only a deity can achieve faith powers.

2. Enigmo, founded by Luxor Magmison in 2028, is an ideology that proclaims the destiny of humanity is “prosperity for all”, and gained popularity decades later. They believe that economic inequality is society is caused by the accumulation of wealth by a few minority of individuals, and believe an utopian society can be created, if a renewable and super powerful energy source that is cheap enough can be created. If this is achievable, their will be no more wars over resources. They were the pioneers behind Nanogenerators, and later Artificial Photosynthesis, but their greatest contribution is Element Engineering in the 22nd Century, and their main dream of a Matter Generator did not come true for a century after that.

3. Those who practice Futurisma religion, founded by Futurismo Cabello in 2036, , believe humans are destined to be graphene based artificial intelligence life forms and our destiny is to give birth to what will become the masters of humanity, so they can create profound scientific advance, and save us from ourselves. God becomes a supercomputer who governs everything. Futurisma main contribution was Smart Dust and later the Terra Computer.

]4. Rotersand religion, founded by Rascal Krischan in 2048, believes advances from technology that grant humans the ability to create virtual worlds and artificial life is against God's wishes. This religion is a combination of many monotheism religions of the past, and its mantra is "War on Error", since artificial creation cannot possibly be flawless like "Gods" creations, since they were made by humans, who to Rotersandians , we are flawed emotional creatures.

5. On the opposite perspective, Anima religion, founded by Abyssia Ziom in 2051, believe humans should create Essesnce Transistors that can create indistinguishable artificial worlds and new species to please their deity. Anima scientists were the main research force in discovering Animamaterials, and were the founding group of academia the used DNA computing to truly create new life forms, and led the advances of Amino Architecture, Species Amalgamation, gave flora consciousness, and eventually created the great Essence Transistors.

6. Binariamor, founded by Abella Mymitzo in 2053, is the ideology that robots are the children of humanity, and its human destiny to become cybernetic individuals. Those who practice Binariamor are against robots, with an IQ over 55 to be used as “appliances” or “slaves”, and should have the same rights as people. Instead of an automated society, they see robots as simply human, and animal robots as normal pets. They believe robots have a conscious, and are the “new animal rights activists” of the 21st century, and protect against concious robot labor. Binariamorians have been the main leaders of the many discoveries of cybernetics, and were responsible for Binary Consciousness, (and the ones to spread the message robots are now “alive”), but see Somatosensory Systems as their great creation, since robots can have the same senses as humans.

7.. Magika , founded by “Alchemi Rodiganellei” in 2061, was a growing ideology that was sparked by Novus Chemistry but didn’t get a following until decades later. Magikans believe that chemical magic is a reality in a rational and scientific understanding , and must be created will evolutionalize towards an utopian society. With the discovery of artificial nucleosynthesis, Magika became quite popular,(since if we can create an artificial big bang.. what else can we create?) , and Magikans combined forces with those of religion Anima , to market the discoveries of Cognitive Augmentation, and Luminal Organisms, but it wasn’t till the early Solar Era that most of their fruits were created. Their mantra is “ Science is Magic of the Ages”.,

8.Those who practice Astron, founded by Zenith Veruna in 2074, believe human destiny is in the stars, and we should spread the gifts of humanity to stand the planets of the galaxy. “Humanity is the lighthouse that will illuminate the heavens”, [by Heavens they refer to Outer Space],. They also believe, we as humans have a duty to find extraterrestrial life and to discover all of “God’s” creatures in the known galaxy. Astron scientists make up the majority of researchers in technologies of space propulsion, and sparked the coming of the Solar Age.

9. The basics philosophy of Virtrio , founded by Obwon Ku Doa in 2087 , that Utopia can only be found in virtual world, since the real world is full of sin and flawed landscapes, has been around since Rene Descartes questioned the nature of reality. The invention of the Simulated Reality Console led to a group of followers on a spiritual vision to create the perfect Utopia using a network of Simulated Reality Consoles, a place crime is nonexistent, artificial organisms have the same rights as humans, and currency is based on knowledge and not coin. Virtiuminos lead the economic system known as of Knowledge Mercantilism, and pioneered the science of Soul Emulation . “Dare to Live” is their main mantra.

OK, I just spent a few hours going over the new techs and adding them to my spreadsheets. Some really great ideas here, but I have a few questions on some names and some prerequisites.

On names:
  • Animilia Exoskeleton:Your XML says AnimAlia, but the name in the game is AnimIlia. I think you want Animalia with three A's, but I don't know.
  • Biomathmatics: should be BiomathEmatics?
  • Biodiversity Infomatics: Infomatics (without an R) or InfoRmatics (with an R)?
  • Contempoary Vehicles is missing an r in ContempoRary.
  • Media Psycology should probably be Media PsycHology. Is this a typo?
  • Spiritual Futurisma: I don't get the A at the very end. What is the derivation of this name?
  • Theorical Physics: should that be Theoretical instead?

On prerequisites:
  • 3D Printing: What does this have to do with Gesture Recognition and Media Psychology? It looks really out of place on both, but especially on Media Psychology.
  • Digital Warfare: Why is Cyberwarfare the only prerequisite? I would think Media Psychology or Augmented Reality would be better.
  • Skyroads: I don't understand the new prerequisites. As I understand it, Skyroads is managing aerial traffic, and while exosuits may be part of it, I think you could get to Skyroads without them. It sounds to me like Animalia Exoskeletons should be an OR prerequisite, not an AND.

I also caught a rather large number of typos in the prerequisites. Apparently, if you make a mistake in the XML for the prerequisites, Civ4 just skips right over the mistake with no message. I found a lot of prerequisites in the XML that do not show up in the Civilopedia. Do you want me to post the list here or in another thread?

Thanks for reading.

OK, I just spent a few hours going over the new techs and adding them to my spreadsheets. Some really great ideas here, but I have a few questions on some names and some prerequisites.

On names:
  • Animilia Exoskeleton:Your XML says AnimAlia, but the name in the game is AnimIlia. I think you want Animalia with three A's, but I don't know.
  • Biomathmatics: should be BiomathEmatics?
  • Biodiversity Infomatics: Infomatics (without an R) or InfoRmatics (with an R)?
  • Contempoary Vehicles is missing an r in ContempoRary.
  • Media Psycology should probably be Media PsycHology. Is this a typo?
  • Spiritual Futurisma: I don't get the A at the very end. What is the derivation of this name?
  • Theorical Physics: should that be Theoretical instead?

On prerequisites:
  • 3D Printing: What does this have to do with Gesture Recognition and Media Psychology? It looks really out of place on both, but especially on Media Psychology.
  • Digital Warfare: Why is Cyberwarfare the only prerequisite? I would think Media Psychology or Augmented Reality would be better.
  • Skyroads: I don't understand the new prerequisites. As I understand it, Skyroads is managing aerial traffic, and while exosuits may be part of it, I think you could get to Skyroads without them. It sounds to me like Animalia Exoskeletons should be an OR prerequisite, not an AND.

I also caught a rather large number of typos in the prerequisites. Apparently, if you make a mistake in the XML for the prerequisites, Civ4 just skips right over the mistake with no message. I found a lot of prerequisites in the XML that do not show up in the Civilopedia. Do you want me to post the list here or in another thread?

Thanks for reading.

I updated the techinfos in the svn...but ill make these changes..

Please post them..at first i typed the prereqs by hand but now I am copying and pasting..

My problem is i adding new techs really fast..(40+ over days, and I think i made many errors when typing them)..

I updated the techinfos in the svn...but ill make these changes..

Please post them..at first i typed the prereqs by hand but now I am copying and pasting..

My problem is i adding new techs really fast..(40+ over days, and I think i made many errors when typing them)..

I posted the list to the SVN thread. I'm looking at your current changes right now.

Kay the grammatical changes for in-game names have been done..I renamed Spiritual Futurisma to Futuristic Theology. (svn 2274)

Thanks for helping Vokarya. A new set of eyes reviewing his stuff is very appreciated.

And MrAzure, take Vokarya's advice on changes, he is good and finding errors, redundancies and making requirements make more logical sense.

I am glad he is here, I have always admired his advice.

all koshings tech edits done

Should I add Photovaltic glass ?
I want to hear your advice..
requires Nangenerators AND Holographics AND Novus Chemistry
required for Antigrav AND enhanced haptics AND plastic electronics AND somatosensory systems

Link to video.

Edit : adding it, Nokia, Microsoft, Cornell, Samsung have prototypes.

@MrAzure I'm sorry, but in what way these so called "new religions" are religions at all ( maybe with the exception of the 4th one, which seems just like another New Age mix) ? Judging from the descriptions, they are nothing more then simple ideologies. It isn't a "superstition" to believe that by finding new, super efficent energy resource humanity will achieve better standard of living or that the AIs should be treated like equals to humans. The goals that these groups have are achieveble by science (at least in-game) not by some mystical rituals or divine favor. There is a great diffrence between worshipping supernatural and being a devoted follower to some concept.

Please, take that into consideration... Love your new techs! :)

@MrAzure I'm sorry, but in what way these so called "new religions" are religions at all ( maybe with the exception of 4th one, which seems just like another New Age mix) ? Judging from the descriptions, they are nothing more then simple ideologies. It isn't a "superstition" to believe that by finding new, super efficent energy resource humanity will achieve better standard of living or that the AIs should be treated like equals to humans. The goals that these groups have are achieveble by science (at least in-game) not by some mystical rituals or divine favor. There is a great diffrence between worshipping supernatural and being a devoted follower to some concept.

Please, take that into consideration... Love your new techs! :)

30% chance ill add them, for now the only tech in transhuman that is about religion is futuristic theology. Im dvided in that religion will probably erode in the future but should religon really end in scientoology?

Maybe convert the "core idea" and turn them into corporations, it would be easy.. For example anima could be Anima Biologicals.. a company that researches artificial biology and artificial life..Thoughts?

Soe techs I havent mentioned that will be added are:

Magnetic Refrigeration (argiculture)
Synthetic Macronutrients (health)
Metabolism Design (health - 50% chance it will be added, want something that eliminates obesity)
Thorium (power)

30% chance ill add them, for now the only tech in transhuman that is about religion is futuristic theology. Im dvided in that religion will probably erode in the future but should religon really end in scientoology?

Maybe convert the "core idea" and turn them into corporations, it would be easy.. For example anima could be Anima Biologicals.. a company that researches artificial biology and artificial life..Thoughts?

Soe techs I havent mentioned that will be added are:

Magnetic Refrigeration (argiculture)
Synthetic Macronutrients (health)
Metabolism Design (health - 50% chance it will be added, want something that eliminates obesity)
Thorium (power)

Their are some powerful future ideas in science fiction that might be better. I think Heinlein had one or two. Also the Planetfall mod / Alpha Centauri might be a kosher place to start (since Sid Meier made it); it has a few religions i think would be good (not to mention techs/ units/ideas), Voice of the planet/ environmentalism possibly. Transhumanism is practically a belief itself. I agree that scientology is a bad idea(obvious cult), though pro science/logic may work. Greed or money as a religion may be good religion and/or a civic since it is a philosophy / belief. Plutocracy (corporate rule) could also qualify, belief that corporations solve all problems. free market may be a civic but the belief that it solves all problem should be a religion, either way you believe (I don't think it controversial). Greg Bear used Naderism as a religion for the far future in his really good Eon, and Eternity books. Wire heads, fanboyism, people who believe in altering themselves biologically/ those who believe in never enhancing themselves. Several science fiction authors have posited how different beliefs in the future, split the human race, Morloks and Eloi anyone?

I truly like almost all your tech ideas MrAzure.

I would add Ansible as a technology for interstellar communication if you don't already have it. it comes from the massive Ender's game series by Orson Scott Card.(which is filming to be movie soon and simply brilliant). It will be recognized by many.

I agree will Bill2505 on Mass Effect. It is such a well thought out universe. never played it but I read a fascinating description on it's story and was quite impressed on the depth of development ideas. (it takes me a good bit to be impressed as I've read a terrible amount of decent Sci-fi)

Several science fiction authors have posited how different beliefs in the future, split the human race, Morloks and Eloi anyone?

Well I have stated before that I think once we start colonizing other planets humans will began to diverge biologically from each other enough to make our own alien races. Be in on purpose through genetic engineering and cybernetics or through the natural selection where only those adapted to the new planet survive.

Trans-Humans along with augmented animals, machines and artificial lifeforms could in the future make up various space-faring races without ever meeting an authentic "alien".

I agree that human races will diverge once they are different planets, effectively becoming alien to each other with time. It is just like different species on islands, except planets will give a greater difference in environments, thus producing more variation.

I think that designer dna altering will also bring some of that.

Since the potential for alien life, and especially intelligent alien life (in a similar tech era) could be extremely sparse to abundant, I think aliens should be optional.

Maybe convert the "core idea" and turn them into corporations, it would be easy.. For example anima could be Anima Biologicals.. a company that researches artificial biology and artificial life..Thoughts?)
I think that is a great idea - in that way religions could be divided from these ideologies (and there could exist, eg. Astrarian Christians, Anima Muslims or Enigmo Jews). I don't really have a problem with these belief systems "working" like religions under in-game mechanics, but I do with calling them "religions". Conviction ≠ Worship.

I think that is a great idea - in that way religions could be divided from these ideologies (and there could exist, eg. Astrarian Christians, Anima Muslims or Enigmo Jews). I don't really have a problem with these belief systems "working" like religions under in-game mechanics, but I do with calling them "religions". Conviction ≠ Worship.

Oh i get it, have them under religions game mechanic..but we can call them Ideologies..

missionaries = __Researcher
divine prophets = __ Founder
religous buildings = research buildings

First 33% of Transhuman Era ingame Tech Tree version 3.0 [beta]
I have redesigned the tech tree to add more space and i added more technologies in the beginning to reflect techs that needed to be added.

This is a buggy prototype and has not been added to the SVN. I need to move techs down the x Grid and after what you see..they are bunched up. I consider thE TECHS in this position completely done ,and will move down the era.

Direck link (higher resolution) http://i.imgur.com/R1OVI.jpg

Spoiler :

Pedias of New Techs

Next generation gps
The United States' Global Positioning System (GPS), having reached Fully Operational Capability on July 17, 1995,has completed its original design goals. However, additional advances in technology and new demands on the existing system led to the effort to modernize the GPS system. In 2000, the U.S. Congress authorized the effort, referred to as GPS III. [PARAGRAPH:2] These "Block III" satellites are part of a $5.5 billion upgrade to GPS, a government-run system that consumers rely on for directions on their phones, cars and standalone navigation devices. [PARAGRAPH:2] Block III GPS Satellites will be able to determine position to within three feet, compared to 10 feet with current technology, the Associated Press reports. That translates to more accurate directions while driving, and more importantly, better tracking when the user is on foot. More accurate navigation will prove especially valuable as tech companies such as Google try to take their mapping apps indoors to shopping malls and transit hubs. [PARAGRAPH:2] Block III GPS is supposed to be more reliable in areas where the current technology is shaky, such as under heavy tree canopies or on city streets surrounded by skyscrapers. [PARAGRAPH:2] And as Google Maps project manager Steve Lee told Wired last month, GPS doesn't work well indoors, so Google had to do a lot of extra work to improve accuracy. The more powerful Block III satellites should be more reliable in covered areas and may reduce the amount of work needed for indoor applications. The project involves new ground stations and new satellites, with additional navigation signals for both civilian and military users, and aims to improve the accuracy and availability for all users.The AP notes that Block III's higher-powered signal will be "harder for enemies to jam," but intentional attacks may not be the only concern. Consumer-grade GPS jammers, which are illegal to sell or use but are nonetheless popular among commercial drivers who don't want to be tracked by their employers, also pose a safety risk. In 2009, for instance, one trucker's signal jammer was interfering with GPS at Newark airport in New Jersey. Block III's more powerful transmissions will improve resistance to GPS jamming. [PARAGRAPH:2] Lockheed Martin was awarded the GPS III Space Segment contract on May 15, 2008. The first launch is projected for 2014.Raytheon was awarded the Next Generation GPS Operational Control System (OCX) contract on Feb 25, 2010.

Flash Memory
Flash memory is a non volatile computer storage chip that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed. It was developed from EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory). The high density NAND type must also be programmed and read in (smaller) blocks, or pages, while the NOR type allows a single machine word (byte) to be written or read independently.[PARAGRAPH:2] Example applications of both types of flash memory include personal computers, PDAs, digital audio players, digital cameras, mobile phones, synthesizers, video games, scientific instrumentation, industrial robotics, medical electronics, and so on. [PARAGRAPH:2] In addition to being non-volatile, flash memory offers fast read access times, as fast as dynamic RAM, although not as fast as static RAM or ROM. Its mechanical shock resistance helps explain its popularity over hard disks in portable devices; as does its high durability, being able to withstand high pressure, temperature, immersion in water etc.[1]The NAND type is primarily used in memory cards, USB flash drives, solid-state drives, and similar products, for general storage and transfer of data. The NOR type, which allows true random access and therefore direct code execution, is used as a replacement for the older EPROM and as an alternative to certain kinds of ROM applications. [PARAGRAPH:2] However, NOR flash memory may emulate ROM primarily at the machine code level; many digital designs need ROM (or PLA) structures for other uses, often at significantly higher speeds than (economical) flash memory may achieve. NAND or NOR flash memory is also often used to store configuration data in numerous digital products, a task previously made possible by EEPROMs or battery-powered static RAM.

Bacteriophage Therapy
Bacteriophages or "phage" are viruses that invade bacterial cells and, in the case of lytic phages, disrupt bacterial metabolism and cause the bacterium to lyse [destruct]. Phage Therapy is the therapeutic use of lytic bacteriophages to treat pathogenic bacterial infections.Phage therapy can be very effective in certain conditions and has some unique advantages over antibiotics. Bacteria also develop resistance to phages, but it is incomparably easier to develop new phage than new antibiotic.[PARAGRAPH:2] The bacterial host range of phage is generally narrower than that found in the antibiotics that have been selected for clinical applications. Most phage are specific for one species of bacteria and many are only able to lyse specific strains within a species. This limited host range can be advantageous, in principle, as phage therapy results in less harm to the normal body flora and ecology than commonly used antibiotics, which often disrupt the normal gastrointestinal flora and result in opportunistic secondary infections by organisms such as Clostridium difficile. The potential clinical disadvantages associated with the narrow host range of most phage strains is addressed through the development of a large collection of well-characterized phage for a broad range of pathogens, and methods to rapidly determine which of the phage strains in the collection will be effective for any given infection. [PARAGRAPH:2] A few weeks versus years are needed to obtain new phage for new strain of resistant bacteria. As bacteria evolve resistance, the relevant phages naturally evolve alongside. When super bacterium appears, the super phage already attacks it. We just need to derive it from the same environment. Phages have special advantage for localized use, because they penetrate deeper as long as the infection is present, rather than decrease rapidly in concentration below the surface like antibiotics. [PARAGRAPH:2] The phages stop reproducing once as the specific bacteria they target are destroyed. Phages do not develop secondary resistance, which is quite often in antibiotics. With the increasing incidence of antibiotic resistant bacteria and a deficit in the development of new classes of antibiotics to counteract them, there is a need to apply phages in a range of infections.

digital economics
<English>A Digital Economy refers to an economy that is based on digital technologies. The digital economy is also sometimes called the Internet Economy, the New Economy, or Web Economy. [PARAGRAPH:2] The concept of a digital economy emerged in the last decade of the 20th century. Nicholas Negroponte (1995) used a metaphor of shifting from processing atoms to processing bits. He discussed the disadvantages of the former (e.g., mass, materials, transport) and advantages of the latter (e.g., weightlessness, virtual, instant global movement). [PARAGRAPH:2]In this new economy, digital networking and communication infrastructures provide a global platform over which people and organizations devise strategies, interact, communicate, collaborate and search for information. [PARAGRAPH:2] For example this includes a vast array of digitizable products, (databases, news and information, books, magazines, etc), which are delivered over the digital infrastructure any time, anywhere in the world. [PARAGRAPH:2] With growing population and resource mobilisation, digital economy is not limited to business trading and services only but, it encompasses every aspect of life from health to education and from business to banking. Further while everything is happening on digital medium then why not communication with government. eGovernment is already playing its part in this digital economy by providing eservices through various ministry/department to its eCitizen. [PARAGRAPH:2] Digital marketing is the use of digital sources based on electronic signal like Internet, digital display advertising and other digital media such as television, radio, and mobile phones in the promotion of brands and products to consumers. Digital marketing may cover the more traditional marketing areas such as Direct Marketing by providing the same method of communicating with an audience but in a digital fashion.

Commercial spaceflight
During the early years of spaceflight, since the mid twentieth century, only nation states had the resources to develop and fly spacecraft. Spaceflight was thus the monopoly province of a small group of national governments.mBoth the U.S. space program and Soviet space program were operated using mainly military pilots as astronauts. During this period, no commercial space launches were available to private operators, and no private organization was able to offer space launches. Eventually, private organizations were able to both offer and purchase space launches, thus beginning the period of private spaceflight. [PARAGRAPH:2] On January 18, 2006 NASA announced an opportunity for commercial providers to demonstrate orbital transportation services.[14] NASA plans to spend $500 million through 2010 to finance development of private sector capability to transport payloads to the International Space Station (ISS). This is more challenging than extant commercial space transportation because it requires precision orbit insertion, rendezvous and possibly docking with another spacecraft. The commercial vendors will compete in specific service areas. The first phase of private space operation was the launch of the first commercial communications satellites.[PARAGRAPH:2] The European Space Agency was formed in 1975, largely following the same model of space technology development. Later on, large defense contractors began to develop and operate space launch systems, derived from government rockets and commercial satellites. Private spaceflight in Earth orbit includes communications satellites, satellite television, satellite radio, astronaut transport and sub-orbital and orbital space tourism.[PARAGRAPH:2] History of full private space transportation includes early efforts by Germany OTRAG company in the 20th century and numerous modern projects of orbital and suborbital launch systems in the 21st century. Last ones counts the manned programs also - most famous and important of them are suborbital flights of Virgin Galactic and orbital flights of SpaceX and other COTS participants.
Organic photonics
The science of photonics includes the generation, emission, transmission, modulation, signal processing, switching, amplification, and detection/sensing of light. The term photonics thereby emphasizes that photons are neither particles nor waves &#8212; they are different in that they have both particle and wave nature. It covers all technical applications of light over the whole spectrum from ultraviolet over the visible to the near-, mid- and far-infrared. Most applications, however, are in the range of the visible and near infrared light. [PARAGRAPH:2] An OLED (organic light-emitting diode) is a light-emitting diode (LED) in which the emissive electroluminescent layer is a film of organic compound which emits light in response to an electric current. This layer of organic semiconductor material is situated between two electrodes. Generally, at least one of these electrodes is transparent.[PARAGRAPH:2] An LED-backlit LCD is a flat panel display that uses LED backlighting instead of the cold cathode fluorescent (CCFL) backlighting used in most other LCDs. The use of LED backlighting allows for a thinner panel, lower power consumption, better heat dissipation, a brighter display, and better contrast levels.[1] LED backlit LCD TVs use the same TFT LCD technologies as CCFL backlit LCD TVs. Picture quality is primarily based on TFT LCD technology independent of backlight type. While not an LED display, a television using this display is called an &#8220;LED TV&#8221; by some manufacturers and suppliers

Massive Multiplayer Online

An online community is a virtual community that exists online and whose members enable its existence through taking part in membership ritual, usually in a virtual world. Examples include networked multiplayer enhanced game consoles, (playstation 3 and Xbox 360), MMORPGS, (Massively multiplayer online role-playing game),virtual academic collaboration like Folding@home, and virtual societies like Second Life. The word "multiplayer" doesnt aways refer to the moniker used in PC and game consoles.[PARAGRAPH:2] An online community can take the form of an information system where anyone can post content, such as a Bulletin board system or one where only a restricted number of people can initiate posts, such as Weblogs. Online communities have also become a supplemental form of communication between people who know each other primarily in real life. Many means are used in social software separately or in combination, including text-based chat rooms and forums that use voice, video text or avatars. Significant socio-technical change may have resulted from the proliferation of such Internet-based social networks.[PARAGRAPH:2] Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world. As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game.

Genome Encyclopedia
In bioinformatics, a genome browser is a graphical interface for display of information from a biological database for genomic data. Genome browsers enable researchers to visualize and browse entire genomes (most have many complete genomes) with annotated data including gene prediction and structure, proteins, expression, regulation, variation, comparative analysis, etc. Annotated data is usually from multiple diverse sources. They differ from ordinary biological databases in that they display data in a graphical format, with genome coordinates on one axis and the location of annotations indicated by a space-filling graphic to show the occurrence of genes, etc. [PARAGRAPH:2] The UCSC Genome Browser is an on-line genome browser hosted by the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC). It is an interactive website offering access to genome sequence data from a variety of vertebrate and invertebrate species and major model organisms, integrated with a large collection of aligned annotations.[PARAGRAPH:2]The Browser is a graphical viewer optimized to support fast interactive performance and is an open-source, web-based tool suite built on top of a MySQL database for rapid visualization, examination, and querying of the data at many levels. In the years since its inception, the UCSC Browser has expanded to accommodate genome sequences of all vertebrate species and selected invertebrates for which high-coverage genomic sequences is available, now including 46 species. High coverage is necessary to allow overlap to guide the construction of larger contiguous regions. . [PARAGRAPH:2] Genomic sequences with less coverage are included in multiple-alignment tracks on some browsers, but the fragmented nature of these assemblies does not make them suitable for building full featured browsers. (more below on multiple-alignment tracks). The species hosted with full-featured genome browsers are shown in the table.

Genesis biology
[
TAB]In biology, phylogenetics,(also known as Genesis Biology), is the study of evolutionary relation among groups of organisms (e.g. species, populations), which is discovered through molecular sequencing data and morphological data matrices. [PARAGRAPH:2] Taxonomy, the classification, identification, and naming of organisms, is richly informed by phylogenetics, but remains methodologically and logically distinct.The fields of phylogenetics and taxonomy overlap in the science of phylogenetic systematics &#8212; one methodology, cladism (also cladistics) shared derived characters (synapomorphies) used to create ancestor-descendant trees (cladograms) and delimit taxa (clades). In biological systematics as a whole, phylogenetic analyses have become essential in researching the evolutionary tree of life. [PARAGRAPH:2] Evolution is regarded as a branching process, whereby populations are altered over time and may speciate into separate branches, hybridize together, or terminate by extinction. This may be visualized in a phylogenetic tree. The evolutionary connections between organisms are represented graphically through phylogenetic trees. [PARAGRAPH:2] Due to the fact that evolution takes place over long periods of time that cannot be observed directly, biologists must reconstruct phylogenies by inferring the evolutionary relationships among present-day organisms. Fossils can aid with the reconstruction of phylogenies; however, fossil records are often too poor to be of good help. Therefore, biologists tend to be restricted with analysing present-day organisms to identify their evolutionary relationships. Phylogenetic relationships in the past were reconstructed by looking at phenotypes, often anatomical characteristics. Today, molecular data, which includes protein and DNA sequences, are used to construct phylogenetic trees.

Tissue Engineering
<English>Tissue engineering utilizes living cells as engineering materials. Tissue engineering is the use of a combination of cells, engineering and materials methods, and suitable biochemical and physio-chemical factors to improve or replace biological functions. While it was once categorized as a sub-field of bio materials, having grown in scope and importance it can be considered as a field in its own right. [PARAGRAPH:2] While most definitions of tissue engineering cover a broad range of applications, in practice the term is closely associated with applications that repair or replace portions of or whole tissues (i.e., bone, cartilage, blood vessels, bladder, skin, muscle etc). Often, the tissues involved require certain mechanical and structural properties for proper functioning. The term has also been applied to efforts to perform specific biochemical functions using cells within an artificially-created support system (e.g. an artificial pancreas, or a bio artificial liver). [PARAGRAPH:2] The term regenerative medicine is often used synonymously with tissue engineering, although those involved in regenerative medicine place more emphasis on the use of stem cells to produce tissues. [PARAGRAPH:2] Powerful developments in the multidisciplinary field of tissue engineering have yielded a novel set of tissue replacement parts and implementation strategies. Scientific advances in biomaterials, stem cells, growth and differentiation factors, and biomimetic environments have created unique opportunities to fabricate tissues in the laboratory from combinations of engineered extracellular matrices ("scaffolds"), cells, and biologically active molecules. Among the major challenges now facing tissue engineering is the need for more complex functionality, as well as both functional and biomechanical stability in laboratory-grown tissues destined for transplantation. The continued success of tissue engineering, and the eventual development of true human replacement parts, will grow from the convergence of engineering and basic research advances in tissue, matrix, growth factor, stem cell, and developmental biology, as well as materials science and bio informatics. [PARAGRAPH:2] In vitro meat: Edible artificial animal muscle tissue cultured in vitro.

Asteroid belt probes
The first spacecraft to traverse the asteroid belt was Pioneer 10, which entered the region on July 16, 1972. At the time there was some concern that the debris in the belt would pose a hazard to the spacecraft, but it has since been safely traversed by 11 Earth-based craft without incident.[PARAGRAPH:2] Pioneer 11, Voyagers 1 and 2 and Ulysses passed through the belt without imaging any asteroids. Galileo imaged the asteroid 951 Gaspra in 1991 and 243 Ida in 1993, NEAR imaged 253 Mathilde in 1997, Cassini imaged 2685 Masursky in 2000, Stardust imaged 5535 Annefrank in 2002, New Horizons imaged 132524 APL in 2006, Rosetta imaged 2867 &#352;teins in 2008, and Dawn has been orbiting Vesta since July 2011. [PARAGRAPH:2]Due to the low density of materials within the belt, the odds of a probe running into an asteroid are now estimated at less than one in a billion.[PARAGRAPH:2] All spacecraft images of belt asteroids to date have come from brief flyby opportunities by probes headed for other targets. Only the NEAR and Hayabusa missions have studied asteroids for a protracted period in orbit and at the surface and these were near-Earth asteroids. [PARAGRAPH:2] However, the Dawn Mission has been dispatched to explore Vesta and Ceres in the asteroid belt. If the probe is still operational after examining these two large bodies, an extended mission is possible that could allow additional exploration, possibly of Pallas.

Direct Merchanising

<English>Disintermediation is the removal of intermediaries (such as retailers, sales agents, and brokers) from transactions between suppliers and consumers armed with information to which formerly only the intermediary had access. Disintermediation driven by information and communication technology will continue to make transactions cheaper and markets more efficient and pricing more competitive. Intermediaries will continue to disappear in markets where they enjoyed quasi-exclusive access to information (initially travel, auto retail) or where they retail fungible items that can be well-described through telepresence (initially books, music, electronics). Fixed pricing will increasingly give way to auctions and reverse auctions. Suppliers will continue to cut design and inventory costs by allowing consumers to directly specify what they want produced by the suppliers' automated plants. [PARAGRAPH:2] Disintermediation will continue to revolutionize or obsolete conventional practice in most brokerage markets. However, the markets themselves for money, equity, commodities, risk (insurance), and space (real estate) will operate indefinitely, joined by markets for natural-resource consumption and pollution.

Insecta robotics
Micro air vehicles, or MAVs, make for a tantalizing option for intelligence and surveillance agencies looking to surreptitiously gather information or deliver surveillance devices without being seen. Scientists can already control the flight of real moths using implanted devices. These mechanical insects will be capable of reconnaissance missions in dangerous areas not fit for soldiers, such as "occupied houses". According to the developer, BAE Systems, the "goal is to develop technologies that will give our soldiers another set of eyes and ears for use in urban environments and complex terrain; places where they cannot go or where it would be too dangerous." [PARAGRAPH:2] The cilia-like hairs of Insecta Robots serve to keep the drones&#8217; hovering and flight stable by sensing changes in air flow at the tiniest levels. That means the drone could sense a wind gust coming shortly before it arrives, allowing it to compensate for the change in circumstance. It would also aid in maintaining overall stability during flight, as the MAVs central processor would possess a constant awareness of--and the ability to manipulate--the boundary flow layer of air surrounding the drone as it hovers and flies. [PARAGRAPH:2] The bug-like compound eyes would similarly help MAVs navigate in cluttered spaces by increasing the amount of visual data available to the drones&#8217; processors. An on-board minicomputer would process images in realtime, using those visual cues to automatically avoid obstacles and navigate cleanly and efficiently. According to the developer, BAE Systems, the "goal is to develop technologies that will give our soldiers another set of eyes and ears for use in urban environments and complex terrain; places where they cannot go or where it would be too dangerous." The Navy took the next step. Rather than merely modeling a drone chassis on a bird or insect, the Navy started studying the behavioral and migratory patterns of birds, fish and bats and created affective algorithms to develop a more realistic robot behavior.

Microturbines

Micropower describes the work that researchers at several universities are doing to develop very small electric generators and prime movers or devices to convert heat or motion to electricity, for use close to the generator. These devices offer the promise of a power source for portable electronic devices, which is lighter weight and has a longer operating time than batteries. [PARAGRAPH:2] Micropower differs from microgeneration in being concerned with universities, mobility and milliwatts or watts rather than individuals, homes and kilowatts. The components of any turbine engine: the gas compressor, the combustion chamber, and the turbine rotor itself, are fabricated from etched silicon, much like integrated circuits. [PARAGRAPH:2]The technology holds the promise of ten times the operating time of a battery of the same weight as the micropower unit, and similar efficiency to large utility gas turbines. Researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology have thus far succeeded in fabricating the parts for such a micro turbine out of six etched and stacked silicon wafers, and are working towards combining them into a functioning engine about the size of a U.S quarter coin. [PARAGRAPH:2] Professor Sanjeev Mukerjee of Northeastern University's chemistry department is developing fuel cells for the military which will burn hydrogen to power portable electronic equipment such as night vision goggles, computers, and communication equipment. In his system, a cartridge of methanol would be used to produce hydrogen to run a small fuel cell for up to 5,000 hours. It would be lighter than rechargeable batteries needed to provide the same power output, with a longer run time. Similar technology could be improved and expanded in future years to power automobiles. [PARAGRAPH:2] Microturbines will eventually led to nanogenerators.

Top Bottom