Early game city attacking changes v34

<Sigh>
One more time T-brd just for you. And please stop the wheels in your head from spinning while you're reading my post, please??? Just digest it 1st, think about it and then respond...or not. Okay? Please?

Okay, here we go,
Ex: I have a city that will let me select for Any Newly built combat unit 3 non-healing promos from the promo list. To continue the ex, say I just built a javelineer. I can normally give it Combat 1, Melee 1 (the fist), and archer 1 (the arrows)(or any combination of 3 of the multitude of "normal" base promos (withdrawl, Terrain type, etc.) and I'm done. I can't assign anymore promos.

But if I choose instead not to give it the archer 1 (or melee1 or Combat1, etc.) but give it the Self Healing 1. Then after giving it that Self Healing 1 I still have an Option/selection to give it self healing II. And sometimes SH III!, for a total of 4-5 Promos when I should be able to only give it 3 Total promos.

But again If I choose 3 "normal" Promos I only can get those 3 and No More. But If I choose to let one of those 3 "Normal" promos be replaced by the SH1, then I can get another (SH2) and/or SH3.

Now please, feel free to re-engage the wheels. ;)

JosEPh :)

It's not supposed to work like that and I can't explain how it does. If you replaced another selection with a self healing promo, it should replace that selection, not give you another. Nothing was done to make it behave this way purposefully. Additionally, it has never done this in any game I have played. So when you started talking about this it was understandably confusing what you were trying to say because it's not supposed to be doing this and I've never seen it do this. However, I HAVE seen it behave as it should, where a self-heal promo is selected like any other and does not grant an additional selection for having taken it. In fact, there is no code that I'm aware of that would enable a promotion to behave in this manner and I would think it a challenge to make happen if I tried.

Sounds like me if SH I would be replaced / obsolete by SH II so it removes SH I when you get SH II and then you can reselect the "Promotion point" that now freed up from SH I beeing obsolete.

Sounds like me if SH I would be replaced / obsolete by SH II so it removes SH I when you get SH II and then you can reselect the "Promotion point" that now freed up from SH I beeing obsolete.

Sorry Faustmouse but that made no sense. :confused:

JosEPh

Sorry Faustmouse but that made no sense. :confused:

JosEPh

Look who's talking!:lol: Mouse's post is perfectly clear to me.

He says if it is as you describe, it may be that getting SH II removes SH I, allowing you to take another promo to replace the one you 'lost'.

Made sense to me too but I don't think that's happening... shrug. It would be severely odd if it was. It could look like that since it would only display the most advanced in the promo line. And it would always work this way every time, not on occasion. I'd actually challenge anyone to present a savegame that shows this behavior in the first place since I really can't think of how it would be happening.

Look who's talking!:lol: Mouse's post is perfectly clear to me.

He says if it is as you describe, it may be that getting SH II removes SH I, allowing you to take another promo to replace the one you 'lost'.

How does this apply to a Newly built unit? That is what I don't see. I could see what he's saying for a veteran unit but not a new recruit only getting what his local city allows. (Is that better???) :rolleyes:

JosEPh :)

Made sense to me too but I don't think that's happening... shrug. It would be severely odd if it was. It could look like that since it would only display the most advanced in the promo line. And it would always work this way every time, not on occasion. I'd actually challenge anyone to present a savegame that shows this behavior in the first place since I really can't think of how it would be happening.

I believe I already did when I had the CTD that alberts2 fixed. In fact I pointed it out to you T-brd.

I knew I should've made a string of screenies. If I find the time to put that game back in I'll do just that so all you Doubting Thomas' can a have a visual reference and stop trying to 2nd guess what I'm posting. This is really getting irritating and frustrating.

EDIT: With updating the SVN build after alberts2 Fix for my CTD I'm having trouble reproducing this now. But even so nothing has changed though on the impossiblity of taking an AI's city after your initial attack if it fails to take the city. And That is the heart of this whole thread with all it's rabbit trails and frustrations. Maybe you all like playing this way? I don't and if I have to waste 80-100 of my best units in the Ancient era to take a pop 8 AI city. Then I won't even try again like the last 12 months after I initially reported this problem in April 2014. As I said back then I'll say again now, this part of the combat in the Mod id fubared.:thumbsdown:

I will now stop saying it and desist from posting about it. :mad:

JosEPh

I don't doubt that it was happening. I just know that it shouldn't have been so it would be a matter of getting in and really watching the processing of the code to see what was wrong. Alberts did some fixes to buildup promo mechanics and maybe that has something to do with your inability to now replicate the behavior.

Toffer did make modifications to healing values that should have a major impact but as you know he's put it in a mod mod so it isn't in the core apparently yet.

And I haven't heard of anyone yet addressing what I believe is the main problem here with cities being a little TOO hard to capture - a dramatically imbalanced set of city defense and hill modifiers given to archers as retained from vanilla days.

Toffer did make modifications to healing values that should have a major impact but as you know he's put it in a mod mod so it isn't in the core apparently yet.

Yes, It should make city defenders in the prehistoric/Ancient era use up to 10 turns to heal to full health when damaged, instead of C2C default of 1 turn no matter how damaged. (In most cases meaning immediately when you click end turn before the defender get their turn). I've reduced city healing from 20&#8594;10% while only reduced healing for the attacking troops from 5&#8594;4%.

Top Bottom