Tech tree pictures

Rwn

King
I've built a picture of the tech tree (v.35 / SVN 8541) to get a better view outside of the game, I thought it could also be useful to others so here it is (split by era to make it more convenient; I have also the full picture but it's a bit too large, I can provide it some way or another if someone really wants it).

Prehistoric
Spoiler :

Ancient
Spoiler :

Classical
Spoiler :

Medieval
Spoiler :

Renaissance
Spoiler :

Industrial
Spoiler :

Modern
Spoiler :

Transhuman
Spoiler :

Galactic
Spoiler :

Having them here is a reasonable idea though, for as long as they remain valid.

I'm currently looking at the TechInfos file and thought it could be a good opportunity to redraw a bit the tech tree - I find the current version very confusing with all the lines crossing in every way (it took me several games to figure out that SedLifestyle did not require Celebration for instance...).

I tried to reorganize a bit the tree, starting with Prehistoric era. Of course I kept every tech requirement the same, only the positioning of the tech window and the lines are changed.

There are heavy limitations on how one can draw the tree (since the arrows are only for PrereqOr, you can only have one if you have no optional prereq tech; I tried putting several techs in both PrereqOr and PrereqAnd, it works but messes up a bit the prereq entry in the Pedia so it's no good), but I tried to follow as much as possible these guidelines:
- No crossing lines or lines behind tech windows (cf. the aformentioned Celebration trick due to the line from Conduct to SedLifestyle)
- A tech shouldn't have a prereq tech on the same column (or after), only in a previous column (cf. Trapping/Tracking in the current tree)
- Two techs on the same row following each other means that the second one requires the first (and there's no arrow in between). Arrows are used for a prerequisite tech on a different row.
It's not possible to have those rules always enforced (especially the 3rd), but they should be more often than not. If you wonder how to get a given tech, looking for any tech pointing at it and/or earlier on the same row should most of the time be right.

It was hell to tweak each tech individually several times, but here's the best result I could get:

Spoiler :

Before I go any further, I'd like to know if you have any comment!

Have you seen Platyping's TechTree mod. It would be nice to incorporate it into C2C with a few minor changes.

edit Language does not require anything so it should be in column 1 like Nomadic Lifestyle. If it weren't for the extra free gatherer at Gathering I would always choose it before Nomadic Lifestyle.

Have you seen Platyping's TechTree mod. It would be nice to incorporate it into C2C with a few minor changes.

I couldn't find it on Platyping's mod thread, do you have a link?

edit Language does not require anything so it should be in column 1 like Nomadic Lifestyle. If it weren't for the extra free gatherer at Gathering I would always choose it before Nomadic Lifestyle.

Yeah, that's one of the thing where I could not find a perfect solution...
- Either you put it this way and you may miss the fact that you can research it before NomLifestyle
- Or it's on the first column and you may miss that it's a prerequisite for Cooperation
- Or there could be an arrow from it to Cooperation, but it would cross a line and Cooperation wouldn't be able to have the arrow from Gathering
- Or you can place Cooperation in front of Gathering but the arrow from Language will come under Gathering (unless it's on the 2nd column)
- etc.

Why would you miss that it is a prerequisite to Cooperation? It says it is right in the Cooperation box, top right corner.

Why would you miss that it is a prerequisite to Cooperation? It says it is right in the Cooperation box, top right corner.

Because there's no arrow and it's not immediately near it... Of course you can always spot it with the small icon (or follow lines crossing or getting behind tech windows), but the less you have to do it, the clearer the tech tree ;)

But, yeah, I'll put Language back on first column, it should be clear enough.

I think that Rwn's tech tree looks tidier too. Maybe keep Language in the same vertical position and shift it to the left to line up with Nomadic Lifestyle.

i suggest adding lines between sewing and tanning
and woodworking and carpentry

I'm afraid that if I put lines between techs on the same row immediately next to each other, it'll make less obvious that the first is a prerequisite for the second when there's no line between them on other places :/ (I know, there are some such lines that are still there, I'll probably remove them)

Well it is certainly going to make my preferred set of techs harder to click on.:mischief:

Why? What's your preferred set of techs btw?

Why? What's your preferred set of techs btw?

...edit My actual bee-lines are Gathering, Language, Scavenging, Persistence Hunting, Tracking (scouts and trackers so I can start hunting animals and my gatherers can start building tracks everywhere in my territory), Oral Tradition, Herbalism, Cooking, then Hard hammer percussion.

I shift click on those techs to get my preferred tech list. After that I vary. I do not build any units until I get tracking. At that point I build scouts and try to subdue an animal to build the Master Hunter so that I can build trackers.

I shift click on those techs to get my preferred tech list. After that I vary. I do not build any units until I get tracking. At that point I build scouts and try to subdue an animal to build the Master Hunter so that I can build trackers.

Well, it's easy, up until Oral Tradition they're all near the bottom of the screen then you start pushing in the middle area ;) (instead of having to look everywhere in the current tech tree while knowing every prerequisite)

And you can easily see why you can't go further than Tracking in the Hunter line (you need Basketry, which is not in your first batch of techs), for an example of how the new tree may help - of course, if you've been through the early game thousands of time and you know every prereq tech by heart, you might not need that, but let's think of less experienced players ;) And also why I thought that Trackers were a bit too easy to get after you had Chasers (as long as you have the Master Hunter)...

The current setup has minimal mouse movements to get to all the techs. Yours means I am going to have to move the mouse a lot more. Just saying.

And also why I thought that Trackers were a bit too easy to get after you had Chasers (as long as you have the Master Hunter)...
I would actually have moved scouts to games instead of the tracker as this would in and of itself increase the average time needed to replace the chasers with trackers. It also makes more sense this way and increases the chance of getting the satisfaction of achieving a master hunter without a scout.

Edit: This post refers to Rwn's modmod "Dangerous Animals"

Thank you so much.

So let me get this straight. The inbuilt system automatically generates the mess of C2C without your arrangements, but if you try to put to many PrereqOr arrows to the base of one tech, all of them glitch out?

You have to work around the limitation that you can't draw three PrereqOr arrows into a tech even though that happens in BTS with Writing?

I would actually have moved scouts to games instead of the tracker as this would in and of itself increase the average time needed to replace the chasers with trackers. It also makes more sense this way and increases the chance of getting the satisfaction of achieving a master hunter without a scout.

Edit: This post refers to RWNs modmod "Dangerous Animals"

I would get rid of Chasers altogether. They were an after though and are not fitting in well IMO.

Edit: This post refers to Rwn's modmod "Dangerous Animals"

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... Scouts aren't that useful, they are marginally better than Wanderers, and Chasers are better than Scouts to fight animals (and possibly get a Master Hunter animal).

Thank you so much.

So let me get this straight. The inbuilt system automatically generates the mess of C2C without your arrangements, but if you try to put to many PrereqOr arrows to the base of one tech, all of them glitch out?

You have to work around the limitation that you can't draw three PrereqOr arrows into a tech even though that happens in BTS with Writing?

It's possible, but it would change the gameplay (while redrawing the tree is just a matter of interface/display). If I put more than 1 tech in PrereqOr, the game will interpret this as "you only need one tech among those in PrereqOr" (that's why 1 is working), while most techs currently require that all their prereq techs are researched.

So the trick is to figure out where to place the techs and chose which tech goes into PrereqOr (or none at all if that leads to an arrow that would cross halfway through the tree) to get a more readable tree... and yes, that's as hellish as it sounds. :D

Top Bottom