ALL I WANT TO DO...Is run Civ II

charlie sedaka

Chieftain
but I am the least-techy person you could possibly meet. I bought this, I just want to run it and I need the most basic info about how to run it. I can't understand the "Oh that's easy dude, I always find when I get a game that I download the X-pfarg TNI onto My sam-disc (version four naturally - DOH!!) then if that doesn't work, I always de-frag the snych-gjeydhs 64 in seven, the most obvious, right?""....type of reply so common on the games sites, it seems to me. Any straightforward advice on where to start to get this damn thing going would be appreciated, and I apologize for not been a techno-speak-geek - Does that make me less of a Civilisation player? I AM SO DAMN IRRITATED THAT I CAN'T RUN THIS.......Charlie The Brit....

Moderator Action: Moved your post to the Civ2 - Technical Support forum, where hopefully someone can help. Best of luck, and welcome to CivFanatics!

frustrat
but I am the least-techy person you could possibly meet. I bought this, I just want to run it and I need the most basic info about how to run it. I can't understand the "Oh that's easy dude, I always find when I get a game that I download the X-pfarg TNI onto My sam-disc (version four naturally - DOH!!) then if that doesn't work, I always de-frag the snych-gjeydhs 64 in seven, the most obvious, right?""....type of reply so common on the games sites, it seems to me. Any straightforward advice on where to start to get this damn thing going would be appreciated, and I apologize for not been a techno-speak-geek - Does that make me less of a Civilisation player? I AM SO DAMN IRRITATED THAT I CAN'T RUN THIS.......Charlie The Brit....

Moderator Action: Moved your post to the Civ2 - Technical Support forum, where hopefully someone can help. Best of luck, and welcome to CivFanatics!

NOT sure I can take any more, and may just give up on CIV entirely. I am SOOO angry that I can't get any help anywhere, not blaming anyone, I just realize that, if you're not a techie you may as well give up on any game older than a few weeks.

CIV 2 MGE and CIV 2 TOT to allow it to work with Win XP 64." means nothing to me whatsoever, nor can I even tell which CIV II version I have. I guess putting it clearly on the box would be too easy......

I am certainly not blaming anyone, just frustrated beyond anything that any Techie could imagine. The worst thing is not being able, ever to get any help from any forum, site email or anything else.

OK, I understand you're frustrated (been there before!). I think this is the forum where you are most likely to get the help you need. Not everyone who frequents this forum is checking it as often as you might wish, so please be patient.

In the meantime, have you checked out threads already posted here, like this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=463437), this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=507226) or this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215)?

OK, I understand you're frustrated (been there before!). I think this is the forum where you are most likely to get the help you need. Not everyone who frequents this forum is checking it as often as you might wish, so please be patient.

In the meantime, have you checked out threads already posted here, like this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=463437), this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=507226) or this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215)?

The first one I looked at asks me to buy yet more stuff to get an upgrade - Is this really a sales site run by the people who put out the game ? I have a friend who also bought CIV 11 recently, who is watching to see if I can get a sensible solution. There's no way we're just going to be led into buying more and more and more patches or whatever. I may check out the other threads to see if they are sales pitches soon. No offence, I am just beyond frustration and I so want to play this game WITHOUT continuing to buy stuff. OK, Have now looked at the patches, and unfortunately, they do not help me and I have just got so stressed - I am NOT going to buy any more stuff. The game should run or you guys running this site (possibly the same guys who made the game?) should give me a reasonable reason and place to go to get it running. I don't want patches or anything else I have to pay for....There I go again ranting when people say they are trying to help me. I shall tell my friend that I HAVE tried to get some help, I appreciate its only recently...I KNEW it was way too good to be true that the game was being sold still and could run properly, easily, on my laptop.

First of all, if you had read the first link post properly, you would know that you don't have to buy anything else. It is an option, however, that might be easier in some circumstances.

Now, let's start from the beginning and take this one step at a time.

What can you tell me about your computer? Is it a PC, or is it a Mac? If it is a PC, what operating system are you running (eg. Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu...)

Do you know if your computer is a 32-bit computer or a 64-bit computer? If you are not sure, then how old is it? Most computers bought in the last few year will be 64 bit.

What happens when you put the Civ 2 CD into your computer to try to install it? Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

The game should run or you guys running this site (possibly the same guys who made the game?) should give me a reasonable reason and place to go to get it running.

Just FYI, from the "About CivFanatics" link:

"The Civilization Fanatics' Center is an independent fansite, privately owned and operated by volunteers. We are not affiliated in any way to Firaxis or the Publishers of the Civilization Franchise, however we do have a number of members who have helped with beta testing of their Civilization series, some of our modders have had their work included in game releases and we encourage Firaxis to participate in our forums to seek feedback from our members."​

Everyone here is a volunteer, so please let Prof. Garfield help you out (without shouting or other histrionics).

First of all, if you had read the first link post properly, you would know that you don't have to buy anything else. It is an option, however, that might be easier in some circumstances.

Now, let's start from the beginning and take this one step at a time.

What can you tell me about your computer? Is it a PC, or is it a Mac? If it is a PC, what operating system are you running (eg. Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu...)

Do you know if your computer is a 32-bit computer or a 64-bit computer? If you are not sure, then how old is it? Most computers bought in the last few year will be 64 bit.

What happens when you put the Civ 2 CD into your computer to try to install it? Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

I am so sorry to be so irritated and ungrateful. All of you guys know A LOT about this stuff and I don't and because of that, I make stupid mistakes and comments. I am still wary but I can try and help you (with assistance from my wife) to help me and I am grateful for anything you can do as a final attempt before I give up. This is a laptop, 64-bit but I bought as a recon and must be at least 7/8 or more years old. Its running Windows seven, my wife tells me. My wife installed the game, and I have not seen any error messages otherwise I would have quoted and felt I was getting somewhere.

I have two icons identical on desktop. Both look like discs with an icon at bottom, both say "continue installation" but when I do it goes to a screen asking me install more stuff, download & install %appname% for free. I am wary of paying more or of making matters even worse, and desperately fed up...That's where I am and I certainly appreciate any assistance. Icon is a circle with two yellow two blue quarters.

What you describe does not sound like a Civ 2 compatibility issue with the 64 bit computer. It sounds like you have either Multiplayer Gold Edition or Test of Time, which will run on a 64 bit windows machine after you apply Mastermind's Patch (If you don't apply it, the game crashes when you have to write in a text box).

I think the problem you have is related to your particular copy of civ 2. It sounds like the game was installed from a (probably old) digital download and the screen you have run into was programmed in to make sure that you pay for the game before playing it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to circumvent that kind of screen. If you bought the game, I suggest you contact the retailer.

What you describe does not sound like a Civ 2 compatibility issue with the 64 bit computer. It sounds like you have either Multiplayer Gold Edition or Test of Time, which will run on a 64 bit windows machine after you apply Mastermind's Patch (If you don't apply it, the game crashes when you have to write in a text box).

I think the problem you have is related to your particular copy of civ 2. It sounds like the game was installed from a (probably old) digital download and the screen you have run into was programmed in to make sure that you pay for the game before playing it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to circumvent that kind of screen. If you bought the game, I suggest you contact the retailer.

I DID NOT DIGITALLY DOWNLOAD THE GAME. It arrived in the mail, in a pretty authentic-looking box just as I remember the old CIV 2 did. I have already said that I doi not know if I have Goldplayer or test of time, and I pointed out that I did not know how to ascertain this, So I do not know how to find that out. After all this, I am left without any way forward whateoever?? And you Techies wonder why I am frustrated??????? I am grateful for your help., believe me, and I note that you ARE IN FACT,( at least some of you) directly involved with the games company, which is what I said initially. Can someone please tell me, as I mentioned earlier a couple of times, how to ascertain if I have CIV Goldplayer or whatever its called, and explain to me why this is not shown on the box or on the disc please? This is obviously not going to work for me, and I have obviously wasted all this time and effort, I am just curious to see what version I have before I take the next step.

,,,,but this is it for both my friends and I. The frustration level, with an end result of everyone blaming other people when I don't even know if what version I had of CIV II since neither the box nor the disc told me, and I have just got very rude at people which is not normally like me. I apologize, but I hate to say that my original idea, that I would not get a result even from people associated with/working for the game company has turned out to be one thousand percent correct. As I said, I LOVED CIVI AND II and this kills me.

If it is true that you have a 64 bit machine, and if it is true that you even started the installation process, then you must have either Multiplayer Gold Edition or Test of Time. (If you don't have either of these versions, your computer will give you an error as soon as you try to install anything.)

I might also add that "digital download" and "piracy" are not the same thing, the event that you thought I was accusing you of illegal/immoral behaviour.

Please post a screenshot of the notice that is preventing you from playing, so that I can actually see what the problem is. To do this, first find the "print screen" button on your keyboard. Then, when you have a picture on the screen that you want to copy, you press the "print screen" button. You next open "Paint" and then "paste" the image so that it appears. Save the image and upload it to the site.

As a final note: just because someone is computer savvy, doesn't mean that they can read your mind. Sometimes they can make incorrect assumptions, which may or may not be a result of a poor description of the problem. And sometimes, people just miss certain details in the description of the problem. Separate your post into paragraphs to help reduce this likelihood.

Top Bottom