Spain

Sukenis, check out my third story (link in sig) and you'll see how powerful a Conquistador Army can be :hammer:

Steviejay!!!!!

I was debated on if I should say who came up with this (you), but decided it was off subject and didn't. I read the story/post and learned how mean Spain can be (from you). I have "stuck" up for Spain ever since. I love the strategy and do it every time I come up as Spain (random Civ man over here).

Compared to just about everything else, Conquistador plain sucks. Poor fighter, comes far too late, prohibitive costs, no upgrade path whatsoever...yes, you can pillage, the problem is that your stupid conquistadores will get owned the very next turn, and the will just rebuild the road...not to mention, if for any reason the AI puts a musket over the resource, you can forget about the pillage with those weaklings...

The Flandes Corps (tercio) is historically a better UU, it was composed of different types of troops fighting in a single unit, but making that in civ is a little hard. It could just be 4/4/1 @ 70 shields replacing muskets? maybe a little overpowered, but they would require iron AND saltpeter

I agree that Spain isn't a very good civ, and the Conquistador, along with the three man chariot, is one of the UUs that made me sick, but the AI in my games seems to do very well with them. I play Regent/Monarch and Spain is usually right behind me in power with a powerful culture and a decent spot in the tech race. Would AI Spain somehow not fare as well in a more difficult game?

Top Bottom