Making Transition from Civ4 to Civ5: graphics card question

hemoglobin

Chieftain
I've been playing Civilization 4 even after the release of Civilization 5. Now I'm thinking of moving on but my concerns if my graphics card can handle it. The CPU and RAM I'm not worried about.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4350. Is it suitable enough for Civilization 5?

Thanks in advance.

Civ V doesn't have the big graphics card leap requirements vs IV that IV had over III. In addition, its far more graceful degrading when the machine is underpowered. (It's unlikely to have a video card crash but the AIs turn could take longer than you'd like.)

Just don't play on a bigger map on Civ V than you do for IV.

You can always try the demo? It is not a large map, but if it is slow, then the game itself on huge maps with a lot of units and cities will be slower, but the game will still work.

If there are no issues whatsoever with the demo, then the game itself may show only slight changes on more demanding settings.

Civ V doesn't have the big graphics card leap requirements vs IV that IV had over III. In addition, its far more graceful degrading when the machine is underpowered. (It's unlikely to have a video card crash but the AIs turn could take longer than you'd like.)

Just don't play on a bigger map on Civ V than you do for IV.

I dont understand why a lower card increases the time for ai to take its turn unless your watching it move units??.

I suspect i should lower my settings to improve time ..but id have thought time per turn depends on cpu and ram?

Because you have highly textured terrain, and units with shadows and over water there are reflections. There are other items that are animated also.

I have an ATI 4800 and whenever I play on huge maps the game starts out really laggy, but often will get better once it's been running a while.

Because you have highly textured terrain, and units with shadows and over water there are reflections. There are other items that are animated also.

Which i would expect to affect scrolling, or speed if i could see lots of ai units

Unless the game renders the whole map each turn even if invisible or covered by FOW?

Probably just the current view. The closer you are zoomed in, has an effect also.

Top Bottom