Civ5 Crashing

IndyWarrior68

Chieftain
I am having a real problem with the game crashing, in particular when actions are initiated using ranged units. It will also sometimes crash when the computer is conducting actions for the AI. My Kaspersky software indicates multiple issues with the game when I do a scan as well. Trying to get information through the website forums for a solution is difficult at best. Anyone else having the same problem?

Welcome to CivFanatics!

First, verify your game cache (Steam --> Library --> Right-click Sid Meier's Civilization 5 --> Properties --> Local Files --> Verify Integrity of Game Cache). If that doesn't help, please post your DxDiag file, as explained here.

I am having a real problem with the game crashing, in particular when actions are initiated using ranged units. It will also sometimes crash when the computer is conducting actions for the AI. My Kaspersky software indicates multiple issues with the game when I do a scan as well. Trying to get information through the website forums for a solution is difficult at best. Anyone else having the same problem?

Crashing with ranged attacks is an older problem I haven't heard of in some time, but it was a common one. I also seem to remember an issue with false positives with Kaspersky some time ago.

The first two things to do are verify the game cache and update your graphics drivers.

I just updated my drivers to play Battlefield 4 with my Nvidia GTX 470. Never had any real problem with crashing. It use to do it after a long amount of turns, then a windows update comes out and it fixes it and runs all day. But last night, I update to latest Nvidia drivers and game keeps crashing inbetween same turn 285 going into 286.

Hi AGNT009,

I suggest that you verify your game cache. The instructions for how to do so may be found in my first post in this thread. If that doesn't help, try rolling back your latest video driver update (for Windows 7, go Control Panel, Device Manager, open Display Adapters, right-click on your video card, select Properties, select the Driver tab, click on Roll back Driver, follow the instructions). If that stops the crashes, you may wish to reinstall the latest driver to see if the installation was faulty. If the crashes return when you reinstall the driver, then check with Nvidia to see if their driver is faulty (or you may just wish to roll back the driver again so you can play the game). If rolling back the driver doesn't help, please post again and attach your DxDiag file (again, the instructions are in my prior post). Good luck!

I too am having some crashing issues (as well as some problems with the leaderscreens - I have since turned those off) particularly late game. Would I want to empty my cache or would verifying it be the only option? the game's problems I list were not always there and seem to be getting worse, so I bet the cache is the source of it.
Thanks.

I too am having some crashing issues (as well as some problems with the leaderscreens - I have since turned those off) particularly late game. Would I want to empty my cache or would verifying it be the only option? the game's problems I list were not always there and seem to be getting worse, so I bet the cache is the source of it.
Thanks.

As far as I know, deleting your cache (and then restarting the game) or verifying it give the same result. It might be faster just to verify since you'll probably end up downloading fewer files.

My civ 5 game crashes a lot when I host MP games. I tried verifying the game files and I think it provided a temporary respite from the crashes. Are there any other options?

Top Bottom