Best Civilization/Leader in CIVILIZATION V (October 2010)

Best Civ

• America

Votes: 37 4.2%
  • Arabia

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Aztec

Votes: 26 3.0%
  • China

Votes: 138 15.7%
  • Egypt

Votes: 42 4.8%
  • England

Votes: 47 5.4%
  • France

Votes: 81 9.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 41 4.7%
  • Greece

Votes: 76 8.7%
  • India

Votes: 21 2.4%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • Japan

Votes: 36 4.1%
  • Ottoman

Votes: 22 2.5%
  • Persia

Votes: 57 6.5%
  • Rome

Votes: 55 6.3%
  • Russia

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Siam

Votes: 30 3.4%
  • Songhai

Votes: 28 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going with Greece. Being a Greek myself, naturally I chose this Civ to play with when I first started playing the game. And I must admit, in CiV, his UA is one of my favorites, especially because I like to build strong relationships with surrounding CS's. Additionally, the hoplite has proven to be a valuable UU to me over time (since Civ3) and one that I can usually count on well into the early Middle Ages.

The Americans come in at a close second.

I voted for the Arabs. I love the extra trade items and I love any unit that can hit from range and keep moving. The extra oil also comes in very handy in the late game when it comes to spamming battleships and bombers.

If this included DLC & G&K I would've voted for Korea. Maybe the Dutch since I like them for similar reasons as the Arabs.

I voted for France. Great UA and UU. Musketeers are awesome because they are both stronger and cheaper than other contemporary units.
China, Rome, Egypt are also my favorite. And Greece is nice but doesn't match my style of fun because I don't like a very early war or diplomacy with city states:)

PS: The music of Elizabeth is really nice. Sometimes I play England just for the music, Holst - the Planets: Jupiter..:)

England suck unless you are a warmonger and only want to easily go ahead and kill all incoming units with your longbows.

*snore*

The free spy in G&K is pretty useful, though. If you have a large empire building Police Stations everywhere takes ages so you're not going to build NIA for a long time. And Ships of the Line are awesome, especially in G&K where on water maps you can get by without actually having a land army to speak of.

England might be pretty war-geared, and I'm not a warmonger in terms of playstyle, but I still love them. You don't have to go on the offensive with Longbows, they're great for defence as well. The fact that they don't have Indirect Fire limits their power on maps with lots of rough terrain, but fundamentally, it's a unit with Range two eras before Artillery, for crying out loud! Plus, +2 movement for ships = faster naval exploration = City-States and Natural Wonders earlier. More gold, more happiness, everyone's a winner.

France are still my favourite because the +2 culture per turn and the early border expansion that comes with that are just fantastic and useful in any situation. Losing it at Steam Power doesn't bother me because by then you'll have huge borders and lots of culture production anyway. I don't actually think the UUs are that great but they're decent for what they are. They're a good all-rounder.

Germany is pretty bad ass (for warmongers), especially if you can farm barbarian towns early game. With the beginning warrior and honor SP, i was able to acquire a big army of brutes and archers without having to produce troops myself and concentrate on buildings. If anything I would build maybe a couple archers to supplement all the free barbarian brutes/archers I got early game.

Plus you have 25% less upkeep cost for units, when combined with Autocracy, you can field an incredibly large army.

Research wise, the easily obtainable Landsknecht is amazing for early-mid game. You can mass these easily and don't even need iron resource (which is always a pain for me to get). You can easily build tons of these to make up for how weak they are compared to long swordsmen.

The panzer is pretty cool, as you can perhaps skip getting modern armor and use your aluminum for something else. But not as big of an impact Lanksknecht had in its era.

Of course if you're not into domination/war, Germany will be pretty useless.

man i like the US man with they air planes even though if people was meant to fly we would have wings but that aint what matter when you are destroying all the other sivilizatios

I think France is a lot better than people give it credit; the early culture means lots of social policies which are great to have in the long run. The unique units are a bit late, but at the same time it gives you plenty of time to prepare for getting the most out of them, while earlier unique units can be a bit too much of a gamble for my tastes.

England comes in quite high too with the new naval combat; even if you don't want to take cities you can still ruin them and just generally cause havoc, which is always nice to do during the quieter spells; I really miss privateers from Civ 4 though, attack your allies? Awesome they were.

Including newer civs, the celts have to be way down there; while the Ceilidh hall isn't half bad, their early unit is a bit useless and their unique attribute doesn't really work as you need to have 3 immediately adjacent forest tiles to get the better effect, and any with resources don't seem to count!

i vote China, love to warmonger with them, love the paper market. good allround

America fits my play style, it is best for me and my favorite. I like declaring war late-game, and normally with tens or tenties of bombers. I also like being able to see troops that might be coming for my ground forces and marine forces. Makes exploring with the caravel FTW and if you get the Great Lighthouse, keep a few caravels for late-game, keep tabs on all the oceans with like 4 caravels.

India, the added bonus to happiness helps in both tall and wide empires since happiness levels out at 4 population and then just keeps on going up. War elephants are very strong too.

I voted France. Early policies give you such a kickstart that echoes through the whole game. The units are not the best around but are helpful nonehteless, unlike War Chariots or other UU's I never build.

I entered the poll even though I have all the DLC and the expansion. And as I was trying to make my choice I realized that I really don't care for any of the original civs. I chose Iroquois, but compared to Polynesia, Inca, Spain, Babylon, Korea, Celts, Dutch, Maya - I find the original civs uninspiring.

What's funnier is that until DLC came out, I play this game an insane amount, enjoying most of the civs tremendously. Cult of the new? Or are the newer civs actually better?

I still play England, even with all the other Civs available in GK. I don`t even care what advantages it has, it just has to be England. :) However, the extra spy is useful at times, if a bit dry.

In my last game on emperor as Persia I had a golden age from around 1000 AD until the end of the game in 1970 AD. Literally it was just one long golden age thanks to his 50% golden age length increase, plus the wonders I built that increase golden age length, and the huge amount of great artists I was generating for a cultural win.

I think Persia can be a beast if played right

Today I think Japan could be my favorite civ (Actually, Mayan through expansion pack). Bushido makes my troops keep going, smashing eventually enemy's capitols :devil:. But like 3 months ago I played as Arabia and I get surprised with their UB and their ability. Get $$$ and trading a lot of resources by 0 b.c.

But, by the other hand, Napoleon, Alexander and Bismarck have built large (and dangerous) empires against my goal of world peace (Cause in peace, my tech beats anything). Almost any match I play they gets the largest world-wide army and the unique way I can stop them is letting them declaring war on me. I'm peaceful, but with an agressive attitude if the other's "start", I never lost a war started by AI :D... Ironically, I lost a war against against America which I started 'cause they captured friend London... I let them free but through the sea they get rid of my capitol :wallbash:

Anyway, without mention of great AI's, abilities and my surprise with ancient Arabic merchants, I still love Japan. (Talking about expansion, Temujin is a monster and always get dangerous :run:)

I'm going with Greece. Being a Greek myself, naturally I chose this Civ to play with when I first started playing the game. And I must admit, in CiV, his UA is one of my favorites, especially because I like to build strong relationships with surrounding CS's. Additionally, the hoplite has proven to be a valuable UU to me over time (since Civ3) and one that I can usually count on well into the early Middle Ages.

The Americans come in at a close second.

Couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom