Capturing a strength 41 city - what units to use?

Can I take the city?

• Total voters
Make sure you build a barracks and an armory in each city that is producing units. You want the +%50 against cities promotion for your cannons. you didn't say what the shield strength of the target city was. If its under 60 then you're prolly ok. If its above 60 you'll prolly need artillery

If it's above 60, I'd say it's still doable if you've got replacement guns and a clear route for shipping them in non-stop. However, you might lose troops, a lot of them.

washington is actually bugging up for me too. Everyone in my game has 2-3k gold, he has 10-20k.

this is an easy city cap.. 4 cannons.. 2 muskets.. easy easy.. lancers too? and crossbows? did you really have to ask...

and rox you're wrong..
the AI will not ALWAYS attack the melee unit first..
but it will ALWAYS attack a wounded unit first.

Novalia:

I said "often," not "always."

The AI will always attack a wounded unit first, but then you have to rotate that unit out, and it's useless for the next cap unless you stall your army for 4 turns. It'll attack a melee unit often enough that I find it unnecessary to maintain a wounded melee or cause a melee to get wounded just to set that up.

I have taken 40 def cities with nothing but medieval era techs. I have developed a really good technique called clinching the noose. Surround the city with units just out of range and then attack from two or 3 directions. Even a 40 def city will be pounded to 0 hp in 3 or 4 turns and then just take it with a knight or Pikeman.

Top Bottom