Brave New World Scenarios: Disappointing

Of the two scenarios in BNW:

American Civil War could be a lot of fun in multiplayer, but I almost never play multiplayer, and I have some idea that at least over 50% of Civ V players rarely or never play multi. However, in single-player, I find it to be the least fun of all the scenarios. In single-player, the AI just is too easily out-thought, especially given that the special rules drastically impact strategy (no embarking as Confederates makes things overly tricky for the AI). Really, American Civil War is far, far out-done by the Fall of Rome scenario in terms of tactical combat. And the random promotions to units after their first combat is interesting, but not enough. Not nearly.

Scramble for Africa is fun. Honestly, I like the idea of scoring the scenario in different ways for different civs, and the scenario-specific uniques are fitting (the only scenario civ that could've been done a bit differently is Morocco, which is essentially no different from it's standard-game incarnation). It's basically a better version of the 1492 scenario from the Spain-Inca double-civ/scenario pack in many ways, with far more to it.

Honestly, both scenarios are more playable than some of the DLC scenarios and vanilla scenarios. But neither are better than Empire of the Smoky Skies, Into the Renaissance, or the Fall of Rome. And the American Civil War scenario is not necessarily the most forgettable scenario, but it's certainly a contender for the most forgettable to play in terms of single-player, at least (it just really seems like it is meant for two human players).

Most scenarios would be a lot more fun without the time limit, which is the worst victory condition in the normal game anyway.

As something of a gamics connoisseur, I'd like to note that the lack of time limits tend to support empty, dull extension of the game. I remember one particular map in Heroes of Might and Magic III where the player was free to build up their forces and improve their fort as much as they wanted. The players were separated with a border post which only one player could open, and the post would remain perpetually open once first passed.

It turned out to be a really boring map. Every time I saw someone playing it, they were amassing a huge, huge army for an hour or so and then the battle itself was over in five minutes. It wasn't an exiting match, really.

Too rigid time limits are a bad thing, naturally, but having some sense of urgency makes the gameplay more thrilling and rewarding. It wouldn't make much sense to me to have scenarios behave like that Heroes III map, where you can just wait until you have a perfect army set up perfectly and then just steamroll everything with it.

As something of a gamics connoisseur, I'd like to note that the lack of time limits tend to support empty, dull extension of the game. I remember one particular map in Heroes of Might and Magic III where the player was free to build up their forces and improve their fort as much as they wanted. The players were separated with a border post which only one player could open, and the post would remain perpetually open once first passed.

It turned out to be a really boring map. Every time I saw someone playing it, they were amassing a huge, huge army for an hour or so and then the battle itself was over in five minutes. It wasn't an exiting match, really.

Too rigid time limits are a bad thing, naturally, but having some sense of urgency makes the gameplay more thrilling and rewarding. It wouldn't make much sense to me to have scenarios behave like that Heroes III map, where you can just wait until you have a perfect army set up perfectly and then just steamroll everything with it.

Boer and Otto on deity are to rigid.

Yeah, I believe some are. However, I wouldn't bar time limits entirely because of that. They're supposed to keep things in motion, not to make the game impossible.

Disabling time limits altogether on easier difficulties wouldn't be that bad - perhaps a separate non-scoring, non-timing sandbox mode for scenarios was in order? I still think the scenario I've enjoyed the most in Civ games ever was the massive World War II scenario in Civilization II where I could, as the Neutral Faction, take over Nazi Germany and usher the world into a new era of Neutrality!

Of the two scenarios in BNW:

American Civil War could be a lot of fun in multiplayer, but I almost never play multiplayer, and I have some idea that at least over 50% of Civ V players rarely or never play multi. However, in single-player, I find it to be the least fun of all the scenarios. In single-player, the AI just is too easily out-thought, especially given that the special rules drastically impact strategy (no embarking as Confederates makes things overly tricky for the AI). Really, American Civil War is far, far out-done by the Fall of Rome scenario in terms of tactical combat. And the random promotions to units after their first combat is interesting, but not enough. Not nearly.

Scramble for Africa is fun. Honestly, I like the idea of scoring the scenario in different ways for different civs, and the scenario-specific uniques are fitting (the only scenario civ that could've been done a bit differently is Morocco, which is essentially no different from it's standard-game incarnation). It's basically a better version of the 1492 scenario from the Spain-Inca double-civ/scenario pack in many ways, with far more to it.

Honestly, both scenarios are more playable than some of the DLC scenarios and vanilla scenarios. But neither are better than Empire of the Smoky Skies, Into the Renaissance, or the Fall of Rome. And the American Civil War scenario is not necessarily the most forgettable scenario, but it's certainly a contender for the most forgettable to play in terms of single-player, at least (it just really seems like it is meant for two human players).
I don't think it is possible to play scenarios in multiplayer.

I don't think it is possible to play scenarios in multiplayer.

i read something about an ongoing GMR into the renaissance game in the multiplayer forums over here. apparently, someone can even play as Mongolia as soon as they enter the map, something that's not possible in singleplayer (or does someone know of a mod that allows this? i would really love to conquer ITRs Europe as the Mongols :D).

i read something about an ongoing GMR into the renaissance game in the multiplayer forums over here. apparently, someone can even play as Mongolia as soon as they enter the map, something that's not possible in singleplayer (or does someone know of a mod that allows this? i would really love to conquer ITRs Europe as the Mongols :D).

Yeah it'd be a blast to play ITR or Fall of Rome in Multiplayer. They need to add this in asap. In theory all of these scenarios should be fun, and i imagine they'd achieve that with human counterparts

Top Bottom