Most useless wonder in Civ IV?

Revolutionary said:
all World Projects can be built by all civs, they're like National Wonders

False. A project is just a wonder that, once completed, is always in effect, even if the city that completed the project is captured or razed. Also, projects can't be rushed. World projects are still 1 per game and national projects are still x per nation (space ship parts are national projects).

bogh said:
The Internet should definitely be modded - vastly increasing trade links, granting almost total information about other civs or something along those lines.
That really wouldn't make sense though. You don't see only one side stealling information nowadays as they would be in your model, it is something that is really independent of any country. Although you have hackers and spybots, they arn't used by any organized country, it is by one person at a time for what ever reason, hacking, so you're idea wouldn't really make sense. What could make sense though would be to say that it increases trade for everyone by 50% (which it has definitly done), kind of like a complement to the choice in the UN wonder.

The internet is a great idea but could be revised. There should be an increase in scientific acheivement, or and education, or and war wieriness. The effect should be more real with even an option of sabotage and criminal activity against other civs.

The internet should be a world wonder so that you can at least capture it from someone else. I would turn off technology and save up 3,000 swordsmen to storm the city and rocket to the other end of the tech tree. :king:

For Creating the Internet you should get a free golden age. It'd be realistic, also it'd be a heck of a lot better then getting two free future techs.

777 said:
Great Library and Internet.

Great Library gives you one free tech and was that it? Great.

Interent, like above it comes too late at the game so it's not maybe the best idea to put efforts on internet. Especially if you have something more important to build 'cos net just isn't :D

I have to disagree about the great library, with this wonder you can get a MASSIVE science boost.first off it gives +2 scientist great person points, then it gives +2 FREE scientists in that city, which give +3 great scientist points eash thats a total of +8 great scientist points just for that wonder. if you add a few actual scientists and representation from the great pyramids (for the +3 beakers) I kid you not you will get TONS of great scientists. When I do this I will usually get one for every city in my game so I can put academies in all my cities.

how is that worthless???:crazyeye:

werdna said:
I thought internet was useless, until my last game. Most civs finished all techs and I was behind (no space victory). I built internet and gained about 6-7 techs and advanced from 5th to 2nd position instantly. While I was building it, I knew I was behind and set my research to 10%. Got a lot of gold and upgraded all my old units and got all those techs for free.

That game would have turned out quite differently if your opponents built the internet. If Im in the lead, and have cities free, Ill build it just to spite the other players, especially a player that is obviously hedging his bets on the internet.

Regardless, the internet sucks. End of story. The Pyramids are good for higher difficulties. Switching to representative early just for the happiness bonus, for whoever said the pyramids wasnt good.

Zelgadis75 said:
I have to disagree about the great library, with this wonder you can get a MASSIVE science boost.first off it gives +2 scientist great person points, then it gives +2 FREE scientists in that city, which give +3 great scientist points eash thats a total of +8 great scientist points just for that wonder. if you add a few actual scientists and representation from the great pyramids (for the +3 beakers) I kid you not you will get TONS of great scientists. When I do this I will usually get one for every city in my game so I can put academies in all my cities.

how is that worthless???:crazyeye:

Good point, I was ignoring the Great Library because it just didnt look that attractive anymore, but in the system (and coupled with a Pyramid rush) it can be pretty powerful in a booming strategy.

Thanks!

Internet is most useless project for certain... too late to help you gain anything really... unless you skip some techs and get them free with this wonder but if you skipped them, you don't really want them do ya...

I find that a lot of the late game wonders are useless. If you reach that stage of the game, the tech pace is very fast and all the productive cities are busy building space parts in order to launch first.
Due to the fact that prebuilds are disabled, we cannot compare this to Civ3 anymore where you would anticipate the need for many shields and maybe snag a modern wonder.

So, the late game wonder concept is useless unless you play a variant where space or maybe Un are disabled.

The space elevator is such an example, by the time you are able to build and complete it, the race is over...pointless really.

The UN, I hate the UN both in Civ and real life.:mad:

As gameplay goes, Internet.

You guys are totally underestimating the internet. On higher levels/multiplayer, it can be invaluable to the point of being overpowerd! I have squeeked out a come from behind space race win more than once thanks to it. I also like the dynamic that the internet adds to the game by adding interesting decisions on what branch of the modern tree to research first. Do you go the robotics route first for Space Elevator? Or the Fiber Optics route for Internet?

atog said:
that's so not internet. sorry , please dont take this personally. but the real internet has some form of its own culture really independent of locations. for the forum alone, you see people all over the world typing acronyms like "imo" "btw" LOL:lol:

and those are all ENGLISH.
qed

atog said:
that's so not internet. sorry , please dont take this personally. but the real internet has some form of its own culture really independent of locations. for the forum alone, you see people all over the world typing acronyms like "imo" "btw" LOL:lol:

And we're all speaking English and talking about an American made game.

I think most of the end-game wonders (or projects) are pretty useless, because once you can build them you should be far more concerned with putting your spaceship together than building a wonder.

Actually the same goes for most of the end-game content, units, buildings, the lot. It was in Civ II (and I assume Civ III ) as well, it's a fundamental weakness of the game if you play with space-race on.

I think it would be great if after the Internet was build, all the leaders started speaking in leet. That would make it worthwhile in itself :)

atog said:
Those acronyms are from english language. If some other culture civ had invented internet, it would be other language, other culture. But as it is, it is english culture. Just a bit developed, of course.

Top Bottom