The West Tower

Well, since the seafood would not be in our city radius, I'd say that's not the first priority. Plus we get the info on nearby sea anyway in 5 turns when our city expands. Same goes for the northern sea areas. So I'd move NE.

Aye. Although my urge for instant gratification would want to move SE to see how many Gems there are (I think Sir Slaze or the King mentioned that the map maker liked to group them), inevitably all that area will be revealed in 5 turns. Aivoturso speaks wisely - NE.

From there we have a good vantage from the top of the hill and can decide to follow the shoreline or venture in a general arc around the city to scout for our next location.

Judging by the scores it looks like everyone settled in place.

An ongoing log and realtime updates of our game can be seen here for those that haven't been introduced to Civstats before :) BTW - I forgot to change my name from another game before I logged in - I am Huya Pucka :)

Cheers.

Anyway, so what the plan for the warrior move? I'm definately curious if there's seafood to the south but that's alot of moves with no info to present. NE to wrap around? Although it would take a step N first to sure ourselves of any seafood up there.

NE I believe is best since we don't want to move in tiles that our border pop will reveal in 5 turns (as already mentioned).

Got a little role-playie with that first turn, forgive me ash, I'll try and tone that down from here on out.
(...)

Sir Slaze, I'd suggest hiding the role-play bits in spoiler tags. I really like role-playing, but too much of it in discussion and (especially) info threads makes it hard to find relevant information.

Spoiler :
Personally, I'd suggest masonry as a priority. The dirt walls of our castles seem so... unhygienic at times.

Fktor, it's a habit of spoilering everything from the last mtdg, when then game gets going and each turn has 12+ screenies it's better to spoil everything instead of having it load and kick the thread up as you're trying to scroll down to the most recent turn. I know that's not really the case here for turns 0-40, but I'll keep it informational from now on.

NE for the warrior it is then.

A small suggestion on the spoiler issue. I do understand the need on spoilering everything, especially screenshots and tables. I would recommend avoiding nested spoilers though. If the info one needs is in the last level of spoilers it can get tiresome quite quick. And it would help if a small caption or table of contents was added to all relevant spoilers.

How are we naming cities?
Did our glorious King come up with the name Mutal?
Or is that a placeholder of sorts?

Just curious if we're going to have a theme for city names- and whether or not the King, may He live forever, wants input on potential city names.

:salute:

Edit: I'd also like to add my humble opinion that, in general, I'm adverse to nested spoilers. It's easier to find info you're looking for if each spoiler is a stand-alone and has some kind of heading so you know what you're going to find when you hit the spoiler link.
Love the role-playing though! :hatsoff:

So where to now? Here it is again to save everyone some clicks
Spoiler :

It's clear that all the tiles above in the fog are coast, as well as 2E of the new corn. This is shaping up to be some sort of peninsula. To be sure of whether there's seafood we'd have to go 1N to get what the border pop will miss, but somehow I feel it's unlikely that they'll be any with all this food already. Mapmaker seems to be grouping resources together; should make for interesting diplomacy.

Lotta coast, good thing we're financial. Maybe we should look at an Oracle->Metal Casting grap for Colossus, not like it'll be in high demand or anything :sarcasm:

It does look like a peninsula, I have a suspicion all teams will have their own peninsula with a common center, like a star shape. Alot of water cities it seems that is why he took great lighthouse out of the game propably.

So where to move? Is the tile 2E of where we are now water? If yes then we should move SE on the wine to go towards the possible center. If we are not sure 2E is water then we should move NE on the corn.

Indeed my liege, it does look like water. It might even be a river mouth.

It is good that team Merlot has a plentiful supply of vineyards in the neighbourhood of our capitol and it might be sensible to check the grape, SE.

I suggest moving SE, the possibility to move on the tile 2E will still be kept.

Anyway I will respect the decision of His Mightiness King Indiansmoke I. May His reign bring us glory!

I have a question to the MP players with more mileage: if our land turned out to be an island, what changes in strategy should we consider? Anything drastic?

How are we naming cities?
Did our glorious King come up with the name Mutal?
Or is that a placeholder of sorts?

Just curious if we're going to have a theme for city names- and whether or not the King, may He live forever, wants input on potential city names.

:salute:

Edit: I'd also like to add my humble opinion that, in general, I'm adverse to nested spoilers. It's easier to find info you're looking for if each spoiler is a stand-alone and has some kind of heading so you know what you're going to find when you hit the spoiler link.
Love the role-playing though! :hatsoff:

That is a good point. We need to come up with names for our cities, Mutal is the default Maya capital BTW.

Some possible city names for His Majesty to ponder...

In honour of the Kingdom itself (and probably most appropriate for the capital): Royal Merlot, King's Merlot, Castle Merlot, Lake Merlot

In honour of His Majesty: Smokingham, Indianstown

In honour of His Majesty's advisors (never underestimate the value of patronage to the wise monarch): Ashton, Slazeborough, Fort W, Tegton, etc.

In honour of His Majesty: Smokingham, Indianstown

In honour of His Majesty's advisors (never underestimate the value of patronage to the wise monarch): Ashton, Slazeborough, Fort W, Tegton, etc.

But that would require renaming the towns everytime someone falls into disgrace!

...I'm all for it.

But that would require renaming the towns everytime someone falls into disgrace!

...I'm all for it.

Only if the king deems renaming necessary, A lot of places are named for past people as well.

On the whole GLH issue, glad he got that out of the way now. I hope this isn't a "every few turns a surprise gets revealed to screw up our strategy" map.

In any case, I am of the opinion that we should grab colossus if we can get away with it, even if it's canceled out fairly early. I'm definitely thinking we have a star map here, with each civilization having it's own unique resources, hell..maybe the middle ground is full of mega resources, in any case, only time will tell.

It would actually be really annoying to other nations to try keep the track of what's happening in our glorious kingdom, if we would change names of our cities every now and then:D It would be even more annoying if we would just circulate the names around. Worst it would be if the names of our cities were long and they differed only minimally. I'm not sure if it would count as an exploit though.

Concerning our next move, it seems to me that 2E from our warrior's current location is not a coast. Looks more like plains. I would still recommend moving SE though. Since it is quite likely that we are at the end of a peninsula, it is really important to know if there are any bottlenecks. It would also help us estabilishing a contact with our rivals sooner.

On the whole GLH issue, glad he got that out of the way now. I hope this isn't a "every few turns a surprise gets revealed to screw up our strategy" map.

Knowing DaveMcW, I'd be amazed if that were the case. Most likely, he thought long and hard about the decision to remove the GLH, and only went ahead and did so because he knew that whichever team got it would have a gamebreakingly massive advantage.

The GLH allows you to gain a significant and immediate benefit in every single coastal site, without doing anything more than spamming cities there. With the Colossus, taking advantage means making your citizens work coastal tiles, which are very bad for production, yielding neither hammers nor whippable food surpluses. And, perhaps more importantly, the Colossus goes obsolete with Astronomy - not a tech you'll want to avoid for long on a watery map.

Of course, this is not to say that the Colossus would be a bad choice here. The questions, as always, are:

1) What would we be giving up to go for it?
2) How likely are we to get it?
3) How wasteful would it be if we went for it, but failed?

Until we get a better look at our surroundings, we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions about the map, or, consequently, about the answers to these questions.

Top Bottom