Insane Performance Boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortalD

Warlord
There is a mod on skyrim nexus that allows us to convert .dds files and such to smaller formats and so forth...

Out of curiosity I just made it convert my Civ5 "Assets/terrain" folder effectively reducing it size from 1GB to less then 200 MB. Game looks and work the same just load in 10 sec not 5 min and have nice performance boost! :crazyeye:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12801//?

I believe that this little finding is worth sharing.

Just be sure to make a backup... :mischief:

Which settings did you use on the compressor? All defaults?

Profiles:

Minimum setting
Game select : ALL - just in case that matter

Textures :

All 3 upper options. I did not try texture resize with Civ5 yet.

There are more files u can convert, but trying to force the program on whole game folder will make fog of war not to show - to lazy to pinpoint the file responsible.

Also some textures may be in packages ( fpk maybe? ) and if yes, it could be good idea to unpack them -> convert them - > pack them back... who knows.

btw: large map + 512 vram only and no stutter or gray tiles issue... awesome :D

So, does it still work? It sounds interesting.

But this thread may be better in the general modding forum rather than the ideas&suggestion one?

So, does it still work? It sounds interesting.

But this thread may be better in the general modding forum rather than the ideas&suggestion one?
Yep, should definitely go to general modding...
Seems like even basic graphics optimization is a bit too much to ask from Firaxis these days eh? :goodjob:
:lol:

Its not a mod, but an Idea tho... :) If moderator share ur opinion then I wont mind if this get moved.
"So, does it still work?" - why would it stop?

This is very interesting :)

Which folder locations did you run this on?

Ok, I tried this and here is my results:

DX9 - No problem....game scrolling and refreshing seemed 'somewhat' faster.

DX10/11 - Terrain textures are all messed up....map resembles a Scottish kilt pattern! :eek:

Rolled back changes. Was worth a try in the end anyway.

Thanks.

EDIT: My bad...it seems that the issue with DX10 is not related to this process! I always run in DX9 so have not tried DX10/11 for a very long time (probably since vanilla days!).

I've followed your directions perfectly and have found this to be pretty helpful. Turn times in late game eras are still typically longish for huge maps, but the appearance of grey tiles on the map has been greatly reduced. Thanks!

this seems cool
has someone explore it further?

Putting aside my unrelated issue, it does seem faster but don't expect bullet speed improvement. As the previous poster said, it does reduce grey tile loading time and there is a smoother scrolling feel that without it.

I only run in DX9 mode so can't comment on DX10/11 mode (which doesn't work for me :( )

Putting aside my unrelated issue, it does seem faster but don't expect bullet speed improvement. As the previous poster said, it does reduce grey tile loading time and there is a smoother scrolling feel that without it.

I only run in DX9 mode so can't comment on DX10/11 mode (which doesn't work for me :( )

what I meant with further exploration was if anyone had tried this with another folder rather the assets/terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom