What is your single most important request for Civ 6?

General Tso

Panzer General
If you where only allowed one request for a feature in Civ 6. What would it be?

The most important thing for me is that they keep the Panzer General like combat system introduced in Civ 5. While making it more complex (but not to complicated).

More complex combat.

I want to see pins, routs, flanks, postures, supply lines, .... or just anything more on which to base outcomes than the carpets we've seen.

The rest of my demands are disjunctive.

Speed up the frelling turn times. Seriously, with today's processing power of even your average pc,
there is no reason why I should have to wait so flipping between turns.

More complex diplomacy/politics, and better development of civilization/culture. Through the entire series it's been founding a city and then that city survives from 4000 BCE until modern day as a single unified centralized state. Imagine if it was more historical, how nice that would be for gameplay. Obviously there are only two openings for social policies, imagine if you could do a city-state collection OR a monarchical centralized state OR a nomadic tribe of herding peoples. It would make the game infinitely more replayable, as well as being more realistic.

Speed up the frelling turn times. Seriously, with today's processing power of even your average pc,

That's it for me. Even with a screaming machine I don't do large maps.

I don't know if you would consider this only one request. Assuming that a new 64-bit engine can handle it, I would like to see subtiles:

SubtiledHexagonGrid.PNG

The base idea for this was already suggested in a prior thread by someone else, can't remember who it was. This is maybe slightly different of it. Cities and 1 worked tile is still just one tile (in te picture, a group of 7 subtiles). But now one tile consist of 7 subtiles and thus could have different features on it. Such that one tiles could have for example 3 forest subtiles, 2 grassland and 2 hills. The yield than is either the summation of these or the average, whatever seems more easier. Rivers should be made of tiles instead of the edges of tiles and maybe make it possible that ships can enter rivers. Units should fit on 1 subtile. And new tactical features such as canyons and cliffs could be introduced. This idea could be refined more, but I think this explains the idea of the subtiles good enough.

Well then what would be the difference between tiles and subtiles?

I am glad that you ask this. Apparently I didn't explained this well enough. The subtiles are for the easier movement of units (especially considering the AI) and to have more tactical depth in battles with newly features (canyons as in BE or river subtiles). These features could be added now to, but then you have to turn one whole tile yieldless like a mountain. But by using subtiles these chokepoints can still be there without making the whole working tile useless.
Function of tiles would be easier management of tiles worked by cities in the city screen and the tiles should be used for cultural border growth.

Really? My turn times aren't all that bad even with large map late game. Could have to do with the Skylake i7 though. Is this really a common problem?

For my desires, I crave a balance between the ease of moving massive armies in stacks with the tactical appeal of 1upt. Subtiles sound cool but might make it to complex for some? I dunno I like the idea.
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

To take your time and get the AI right

More complex diplomacy/politics, and better development of civilization/culture. Through the entire series it's been founding a city and then that city survives from 4000 BCE until modern day as a single unified centralized state. Imagine if it was more historical, how nice that would be for gameplay. Obviously there are only two openings for social policies, imagine if you could do a city-state collection OR a monarchical centralized state OR a nomadic tribe of herding peoples. It would make the game infinitely more replayable, as well as being more realistic.

My thoughts exactly. The biggest weakness of Civ V was the diplomacy. I preferred IV's diplomacy. It seemed more in depth. You could actually make friends that lasted. Alliances that meant something. Vassals were cool as well.

If the diplomacy was at the level or better than IV in V, Civ V would be the definitive Civ version.

I am glad that you ask this. Apparently I didn't explained this well enough. The subtiles are for the easier movement of units (especially considering the AI) and to have more tactical depth in battles with newly features (canyons as in BE or river subtiles). These features could be added now to, but then you have to turn one whole tile yieldless like a mountain. But by using subtiles these chokepoints can still be there without making the whole working tile useless.
Function of tiles would be easier management of tiles worked by cities in the city screen and the tiles should be used for cultural border growth.

I actually love this idea and/or the general idea of changing the way land is handled in the game. If a city occupies an entire tile, would the subtiles host different buildings? Would the city's growth slowly envelop more of the subtiles on its tile? How would improvements work with subtiles, could you do something like build a fort on a perfect defensive location subtile without losing the ability to build a farm if the tile was also good for that?
However these kinds of questions worry me with the design. It seems like it would make movement, improvement, and city placement/content too complicated. If it was made to be specifically for combat I think it would be nice, but then you'd have to change the way cities and improvements interacted with combat. Not that it couldn't be done, it just seems very complex and somewhat hard to balance/work out.

I actually love this idea and/or the general idea of changing the way land is handled in the game. If a city occupies an entire tile, would the subtiles host different buildings? Would the city's growth slowly envelop more of the subtiles on its tile? How would improvements work with subtiles, could you do something like build a fort on a perfect defensive location subtile without losing the ability to build a farm if the tile was also good for that?
First of all, I have to say that I didn't think about all the details that needs to be worked out. This would also depend on the developers how they want to implement such a feature. But I will try to give an example how it could be worked out depending on your questions. Cities could start on only 1 subtile and slowly grow to other subtiles of the city tile with population, era advancement or certain buildings. (Possibly it could be done that each subtile, except in the center, could have a distinct specialization think of districts in Rise of Legends if you know the game. But this is maybe to detailed and complex for an initial concept thinking.)

Conquest of a city is then also of importance. Does the whole of tile in which the city is placed as 1 part, or do each subtiles have to be conquered separately? When is a city considered captured, if all subtiles of the city is taken or just if the center/initial subtile is taken? And if a city is captured partly can it produce buildings/units? You could think of city combat as in modern combat in cities. Here many things that is involved to this, but this would be a bit dependent how well the AI could handle these changes. If it would be a too drastic change then it could be that all the subtiles that belongs to the city is considered 1 whole and an attack to a subtile part of the city is directed to the whole. This last option seems more appropriate considering the current AI.

Regarding improvements and worker actions. My main idea was that each subtile would have its own improvement on it. But this introduces a new problem. To improve each subtile one needs to do a lot of micromanagement with workers, which I think most players would not desire. To improve subtiles a different type of worker actions could be introduced without worker units. This could also be benificial to the AI too, because then the worker stealing would stop. One option is to function it as in Call to Power 2: by placing on each tile the improvement with a mouse click and is finished after certain number of turns. This is only one possibility for working improvements and worker actions out. Again the best choice would be made as such that the AI could handle it and it is not to much of micromanagement for the player.

However these kinds of questions worry me with the design. It seems like it would make movement, improvement, and city placement/content too complicated. If it was made to be specifically for combat I think it would be nice, but then you'd have to change the way cities and improvements interacted with combat. Not that it couldn't be done, it just seems very complex and somewhat hard to balance/work out.

I suppose you are reffering to movement, improvements and city placement for the player. Yes, this could be a pain to the eye if it is not worked out properly in the user interface. But, I can imagine that it can work out well if the user interface would highlight the movement possibilities of a unit, the city placement and its possible cultural borders. City working tiles could be reduced back from 36 to 18 (from 3 tile distance to 2) if needed. For the improvements I already indicated above. All these graphical additions would definitly require a much better gpu too, I am not sure if that is possible to handle though.

If you are referring to difficulties for the AI, then I would disagree. I consider it would better for the AI moving its units around. For city placement it wouldn't be any different as it is now. But for improvements with workers, could be a problem. Because as I understand players think that the AI is not using its workers efficient and with more subtiles to improve this would be more of a problem.

One of main purpose of this is to change the combat such that more space is available for unit placement (7 times the current amount) while having the number of units either the same or increase it just slightly. But this could be done in combination with other possibilities it would offer.

Regarding balancing. It would be better to indicate in which aspect you see issues with balancing. If you are referring to tile yields, I don't think it would be a problem at all. As most of the tiles would consist of mixed subtiles this would easier to balance, because the subtiles with superyields or useless ones could be averaged out more easily. I don't think that combat on subtiles introduces new balancing issues. The movement points on the other hand should be changed accordingly, but I don't expect that it would introduce new issues.

Well it would make it more complex for gameplay. But wasn't that one of the things what players were complaining about with Civ V, that it was made more simpler? I think that a new Civ with well worked-out subtiles has many new possibilities and fun gameplay. But if it isn't worked out well with user interface and AI, then it would turn into a disaster.

I'd love the humble scout to get a vehicle upgrade during modern era?
Turn it into some kind of scout vehicle APC?

I'd also generally like more choice in upgrading units, maybe have a choice of types like turning cavalry into a fast tank or a more defensive tank, maybe you can get this option through a new autocracy policy?

I'd also like spies to be able to sabotage enemy economy/science/happiness perhaps at a huge financial cost to player gold?

Lastly make the Admiral unit able to build Sea fort!

To take your time and get the AI right

This is it for me. Emperor is too easy and Deity(for me) only winnable when I go to war. A good AI that can play the game like a role play would be a lot of fun.

Wouldn't playing immortal be the happy medium you're looking for?
This is it for me. Emperor is too easy and Deity(for me) only winnable when I go to war. A good AI that can play the game like a role play would be a lot of fun.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom