The world thinks you're a villian

malfuriouspete

Chieftain
so all of my cities are now boasting from 10 to 20 extra angry red faces because I declared war many times and most of the AI opponents are either annoyed or furious at me. I'm pretty much way ahead in terms of military and research and just wanted to steam roller over a few of my more annoying neighbours.. but even now I'm not at war with anyone and I'm still being killed by this unhappiness, food and hammer production is down in all of my cities and for some reason in stead of clicking defy I clicked no when the UN voted to make environmentalism the world gov't civic, I hate it and I can't change my civic anymore.

I'm not even sure what category of unhappiness this is. Certainly not war weariness or overpopulation so how do I combat this?

The world thought I was a villian when the Germans kept attacking me and I had to keep driving them out of my cities. I got tired of that and started the Manhattan Project, which another Civ finished first. I started building ICBMs and the UN proposed the NO-NUKES treaty. I voted NEVER and got to be a villian. A few turns later it happened again, so I had 20 points of unhappiness. Apparently my people are more concerned about world opinion than with their crops being burned, women raped, and cities conquered. I was playing Roosevelt. Frankly, America suffering 20 points of unhappiness because the world does not like us strikes me as stupid ... like we give a damn.

Funny thing though, once I had my first ICBM the Germans stopped attacking me.

It's pretty funny to repeatedly call the same resolution if the AI defies it. I did this in a recent game and got 2 civs down to pop 1 in every city they had. At one point they had -20 anger from this, and it took a long, long time to go away.

Yeah I'm suffering heavily from this in my first prince game. Huayna built the Christian AP. Only Joao and I have any Christian cities and even then, a minority (I'm in Free Religion). He keeps voting to stop trading with Gilgamesh, my one and only ally, and he owns enough votes to ensure victory so I have little choice but to defy or lose my trades, DP and diplo points with Gilgy. Getting annoying but I'm not in any position to stop him at the moment. I am trying to pass Christianity around my cities so I can try voting no with enough votes to prevent him.

It's pretty funny to repeatedly call the same resolution if the AI defies it. I did this in a recent game and got 2 civs down to pop 1 in every city they had. At one point they had -20 anger from this, and it took a long, long time to go away.

The thing is, it doesn't go away until you vote for a resolution that passes (or the AP goes obsolete). So, if you have the opportunity to continuously demand they forfeit a captured city...do it. :D

Best solution is to keep the AP religion in a single city to be able to defy until you can mass-spread it and gain majority.

You are still limited in terms of numbers of missionaries that you may have at any given time. Best to hit your top three most populous cities first, and then hopefully have them each produce a missionary.

Yeah I'm suffering heavily from this in my first prince game. Huayna built the Christian AP. Only Joao and I have any Christian cities and even then, a minority (I'm in Free Religion). He keeps voting to stop trading with Gilgamesh, my one and only ally, and he owns enough votes to ensure victory so I have little choice but to defy or lose my trades, DP and diplo points with Gilgy. Getting annoying but I'm not in any position to stop him at the moment. I am trying to pass Christianity around my cities so I can try voting no with enough votes to prevent him.

Try to spread christianism to Gilgamesh, he will no longer be considered a heathen. That should solve that particular problem, though others may arise.

How much hit to you take if you defy the Apostolic Palace? I had it, and won the vote to force Julius Caesar to make peace with me, but he refused. This happened four times in about 20 turns. Even at 5 unhappiness per refusal, that would have been 20 unhappiness. I did notice that most of his cities had negative growth by the time the war finally ended.

Try to spread christianism to Gilgamesh, he will no longer be considered a heathen. That should solve that particular problem, though others may arise.

Lol. Yeah. It worked my way, I got enough votes to block that resolution whilst also increasing my number of cities benefitting from my state religion and thus civics. Still, not looking awfully good for this game. Pacal just launched his spaceship (although for some reason it said Charon has launched their spaceship :S ). I coulda maybe beat him to the launch but despite two spies in each city, Security Beaureaus (sp?) and 50% espionage slider I had two parts destroyed. Sigh. I'm still gonna run the last 15 turns or so tomorrow, watch my replay, see if I can pick anything up for my next game. I wasn't expecting to do fabulously on my first Prince, but hey, at least I didn't die! :D

I am trying to pass Christianity around my cities so I can try voting no with enough votes to prevent him.

As has probably been noted - the danger with spreading the religion around is that if you don't end up with enough votes, you'll just have even more unhappy cities if you have to defy the resolution again.

Also, for the unhappiness to go away, you have to vote for a resolution that passes. So Hyena could keep trotting the same resolution out over and over for you to vote down, and your unhappiness, while it would no longer increase, wouldn't go away either.

so how does this unhappiness decrease? Over a certain period of time or I just vote yes to what ever proposal the UN or AP leader makes

so how does this unhappiness decrease? Over a certain period of time or I just vote yes to what ever proposal the UN or AP leader makes
EDIT: Never mind, incorrect information.

It decreases in 20 turns on normal speed, and this scales accordingly. Having multiple religions inside the city can divide this time down. Voting for a passing resolution or razing the AP does not immediately remove the unhappiness, you'll still have to wait.

As was said above: the unhappiness from defying a resolution does not decrease over time. You have to vote yes to a proposal that the UN/AP leader makes, and that proposal has to succeed.
That's incorrect; Joshua has it right. The happiness will only go away after a set time limit -- 20 turns (modified by game speed) as set by the DEFY_RESOLUTION_ANGER_DIVISOR global define. Anger from AP defiance has the additional properties that it only affects those cities which have the AP religion and the anger timer is shortened by the presence of other religions; anger from UN defiance is just a flat amount in every city.

The unhappiness will also persist until the timer runs out -- voting for a passing resolution only restores your "full" status and hammer bonus (if applicable) and doesn't do anything to the unhappiness.

Top Bottom