The West Tower

I personally see 3 real good city sites with 2 corns each. After that, we need to be expanding on the "mainland" with city #4 prepping for a palace switch ASAP I think.

There are 2 versions of similar dot maps attached. An inland version, and a coastal version.

On a map that navy looks important we certainly do not want to stay at only the capital as coastal city on our island!

Also you are not using ovelapping and food sharing at all in the dot maps which is very important for fast developement...by the time the 3 cities grow and are happy enough to work all the land, someone that has made 5 cities overlapping and food sharing will have 2 times the army, tech and development.

Good work Fktor

Island wants 5-6 cities, all coastal. I'd do 6 overlapping 2 corns each. Strech them out to get as much financial coast as possible for colonial expenses

If bronze shows in the cap, we prolly want to push cap to pop 5 for settler/worker pump. That scenario wants the 2 corns worked first. If we go pop 4 settler, gems second will be fine.

Island wants 5-6 cities, all coastal. I'd do 6 overlapping 2 corns each. Strech them out to get as much financial coast as possible for colonial expenses

6 is of course better long term, but 5 might just serve better short term to help push our out of the island expanding faster.

My biggest concern is that we have to decide now what we will do before much exploration since if we go for 6 then we have to settle the north city on the grassland forest hill, but if we go for 5 it will be better on the wine to use 2 corns (1 shared with capital) without needing monument and be our 2 pop slave center.

Not needing monument means much faster 2 pop slave settlers and it will accelerate our colonization.

Taking another look we may want 5 cities. And that's because the best city looks to be the grass forest in the SE corner between the two corns. Expansive is about growing big cities and that one's a good one. It also doesn't need a monument.

Worker might as well put in two farm turns in and out of the sw corn. Maybe we can find a use for those farm turns, say with a farm shared will the plains hill below. As soon as or even before we get Sailing, the fishing villages will be profitable, We'll wanna get them up quick.

On a map that navy looks important we certainly do not want to stay at only the capital as coastal city on our island!

His Majesty of course gets to the heart of the matter.

I strongly suspect that the fate of civilisations rest more than anything on how fast we can settle the mainland. Merlot island is our birthplace and our home, but it must have limited resources. Will it even have iron?

6 is of course better long term, but 5 might just serve better short term to help push our out of the island expanding faster.

My biggest concern is that we have to decide now what we will do before much exploration since if we go for 6 then we have to settle the north city on the grassland forest hill, but if we go for 5 it will be better on the wine to use 2 corns (1 shared with capital) without needing monument and be our 2 pop slave center.

Not needing monument means much faster 2 pop slave settlers and it will accelerate our colonization.

We haven't even produced a worker yet and I've already had a breakthrough in my understanding of city placement/number of cities given a fixed area. good stuff :).

What is the worker doing after the farm?

Ok we have just teched fishing and can start on bronze.

worker yes will do gems after corn.

Also our warrior needs to stay on the wine in betweeen the 2 corns where he was last turn. It is the best fogbusting tile as it leaves only one tile in the entire island in fog.

There is still the decision of which gems.

A 2nd worker at pop 2 pushes us towards the corn; those 2 workers together can quickly get up the 2nd farm and 2nd mine.

A high commerce start wants to grow through at least pop 3 on un-farm corn. Worker completes 1st mine about pop 3 and can produce worker then or grow to 4. High commerce wants the south gems done and then the north.

I still need to sim them out but I'd think to go with route 1, 2nd worker at pop 2, and catch up in the chopping while losing some commerce.

Why did we switch to producing a work-boat instead of finishing our warrior? Guessing since we're on an island and don't need the immediate fog busting?

I won't be doing any simming....but my gut says 2 workers earlier will be better long term.

We can chop more aggressively, pre-road so settler travel is quicker, etc....

There is still the decision of which gems.

A 2nd worker at pop 2 pushes us towards the corn; those 2 workers together can quickly get up the 2nd farm and 2nd mine.

A high commerce start wants to grow through at least pop 3 on un-farm corn. Worker completes 1st mine about pop 3 and can produce worker then or grow to 4. High commerce wants the south gems done and then the north.

I still need to sim them out but I'd think to go with route 1, 2nd worker at pop 2, and catch up in the chopping while losing some commerce.

Second worker at pop 2 is what I have in mind as well, so the south gems to be improved first so that then worker can move to north gems and improve as well while second worker improves second corn, the chop and road.

I'd say wait for size 3 for the worker seems more appealing. If we make one at size 2, we get some idle worker turns cause wheel ain't complete and we aren't chopping (unless we want to stop at size 3 for the settler), and we lose some commerce from built, but unused mines.

Other paths that might be worthwhile to test are chopping the worker (since we'll get +25% from our trait on it) or going settler->worker.

And BTW, what do you think about going religion after wheel? Or even before it?

Fktor makes a good point about chopping the worker! I had forgotten that we get a bonus there, which does make chopping the 2nd worker a very nice option.

Fktor makes a good point about chopping the worker! I had forgotten that we get a bonus there, which does make chopping the 2nd worker a very nice option.

Chopping is 20 hammers now, so 5 hammers bonus for expansive.

Every turn you spend working an uniproved tile by building a unit instead of a worker at size 2 is 1 lost hammer...not even calculating the missed worker turns.

So growing to unimproved tiles and waiting for bronze to chop the second worker is much more loss than gain.

As I said, I don't have time for simming, so I completely defer to those that have the time. And I agree totally that working unimproved tiles is NOT worthwhile. If BW is still too far away, then getting the worker out ASAP is probably a better option. Hell, we may have been better to go worker>worker until the 1st corn was ready to use to grow quickly to size 2.

Top Bottom