Votes: 119 15.2%
  • Civ IV (Vanilla)

Votes: 42 5.4%
  • Civ Rev

Votes: 222 28.4%
  • Civ V (Vanilla)

Votes: 348 44.5%

• Total voters
I have not played I or Rev, so no comment on them.
I voted 5; I actually dislike it more than 3 which had very some serious flaws.
Even though I disliked 3, it had complexity and added valuable features. Only yesterday I said the jury was out on 5, but I can't get myself to play it again. I must conclude, reluctantly:
4>2>3>5
EDIT: not being a PC game, perhaps Rev shouldn't be in the poll.

Getting bored now of these polls but to be honest I went for two.. It would have been five but it did occur to me we need to test vanilla against vanilla and the anti 5 thing seems to be getting sad on here now and losing its worth.. So last night I spent a full evening with civ 4 vanilla on a new install.. It was not pretty but it was better than 2

Wasn't really thinking when I made the poll too much, just thought that copying Best civ ever -poll would be fine.

I didn't realize that there's difference between asking positive/negative opinions since it affects what people vote. (people have always played the game they think is the best but not the worst example)

Then again if Civ Rev wouldn't have been in the poll, there would have been questions why not and refusals to vote because it's incomplete.

Maybe I should have stated that "what you have played" but then again if some have only played few versions it would affect the results.

So don't know.

I voted CivRev .... really, it looked more with my Civ III mobile than with a actual civ game ;)

Of the PC version ... well, excluding civ I-II ( that I haven't played ) , I'm really undecided between civ III and V.

Well, at least Civ Revolutions didn't fool me, selling apples as oranges. So, Civ V, of course.

Why is Civ Rev even included in this poll? It's not a game in the Civilization series, it's an adaptation for consoles and mobile devices. It's fine for an iPad or an Xbox - not my preferred Civ experience, but taken as an adaptation - not an apples to oranges comparison to Civilization PC games - it's not bad.

So thus, Civ 5, no question. That may change with patches and expansions, but so far it's the only Civilization PC game that I've gotten bored with in the first several weeks I owned it.

i voted Civ V because it's right now cool to hate civ V and i wanna be cool

when civ VI comes out, im gonna change my vote to civ VI and I will start a thread about how civ V was the overlooked masterpiece that the dumb mass population hated and i was the only one who saw the inner perfection

so when civ VI comes out, is it possible to change votes?

The more I am playing this game (Shafer 0.5), the more angry I get.
Really, sometimes you may assume they put in flaws, bugs, inconsistencies on purpose.

Really, sometimes you may assume they put in flaws, bugs, inconsistencies on purpose.

Hey, at least you're still playing - I can't even convince myself to install mods for it or check the new patch...

civ3 was probably the weakest and it was great

ptw was my favorite for awhile and that was really ragged

they were all pretty good tho , but now that i think about it civ4 may have been weaker than civ3

the evidence is clear- a game next to a game next to a game

I had the same feeling two weeks ago and therefor i stopped playing and now check this forum for mods hoping one would , somehow , make it all good. Though no mods has yet made this game worth playing just yet.

Also i voted Civ V simply because i never even bought Civ Rev and that is the whole point: i didn't buy it because i knew i wouldn't like it , it was obviously made for an other audience . While with Civ V i got deceived into believing it was made for the old Civ IV & Co audience (I'm not saying a Civ fan may not like it but obviously the fans weren't the target audience) . Therefor i purchased something that is supposed to satisfy me but horribly fails at it , hence the bad rating.

So the difference is:
Civ Rev: not intended for me => doesn't mean it's bad
Civ V: supposed to satisfy me but fails at => means it's bad

CivRev hands down. I can understand people being disappointed with civ5 and even not liking it at all, but CivRev still has nothing on it. Perhaps those voting for civ5 have not played civrev?

So far on the forum, I have not seen many arguments for civrev being a better game than civ5. Would be interesting to see how that position gets put forward.

Well, I haven't played the full game but I did play the demo and from the looks of it each game can be completed in just a few hours which isn't exactly very praiseworthy for a Civ game.

Also, the advisers voices made me want to kill myself.

EDIT: Oh! And the DS version of the game is even worse. Each city is basically just a square with a name on it and you can't see anything because the DS screen is so small.

Wow, I never realized there was so much dislike for CivIII. I've seen it more and more lately, seemingly out of the blue. Somethings tells me it's a lot of those people who started with Civ4, and then tried CivIII.

I voted Civ III and played from Civ I.
Civ III was very bad in my opinion. I almost never played it, preferring Civ 2 and CtP2 by miles.
And civ rev certainly distorts the poll as I think many PC players never saw it.

I'm very surprised that Civ Rev is not in the lead. That game is WAY worse than Civ V...

I'm very surprised that Civ Rev is not in the lead. That game is WAY worse than Civ V...
I'm surprised people comment on this.

Many people probably haven't played Civ Revolutions and also there's the fact it was console oriented so people might not have that high expectations for it.
CiV in other hand is in line with other games in the series so if it doesn't meet the expectations (especially after Civ IV that seems to be considered the best in the series) it's easy to target.

I voted CiV because I haven't played Revolutions and I think CiV stinks so deep that it's the one that shouldn't be in the other poll when considering what is the Best Civ version ever. Seriously. Another reason is that it's about to make statement or otherwise the franchise is dead as some of us know it.

But that's just me.

Tough call. It also depends on criteria:

You can easily argue that civrev is the worst in the series. However, I do not go that way, because 1) it's design philosophy, platform, and target audience were all different from "civ 1-5", and the nomenclature essentially treats it as a spinoff. Technically, it is still a "version" of civ, but comparing it to the others in the series isn't apples to apples.

The other reason civrev can come out ahead of the others is that, on release, it has fewer broken mechanics, UI problems, and other such issues. Granted, that might be because the design was less ambitions, but when compared to IV/V on release it is still a more complete game because compared to those, it worked...better :/.

As for my vote, people might be surprised after my outcry over civ V that I actually voted for civ IV. Let's take a look at why civ IV was borked/stupid beyond belief:

- Just like civ V, my biggest complaint was that the game prioritized graphics over gameplay. IV was not even a single drop less bad with this than the travesty that is V, and so IV makes no headway here.
- Just like V, IV throws bonuses at problems rather than addressing them, ESPECIALLY in vanilla. The AI was awful...before BTS, it had no VC plans whatsoever and would blindly roll DoW or eventually make space (inefficiently and unplanned). In BTS, its only plan was a shoddy culture attempt unless you used mods. On top of that, IV vanilla handed out some of the most ludicrous bonuses ever (BC liberalism wasn't out of the question for the inefficient AI!) and let outcomes rely on a combination of nigh-perfect play...and a heaping helping of luck. Luck-based outcomes have continued to be an issue through BTS 3.19 and civ V, but it is obscene in civ IV vanilla.
- WORSE than civ V, the user interface 1) lied to you and continued to do so through 3.19 2) had permanent issues with unit selection and micro, that also persisted the entirety of IV's existence (and does even now) 3) could allow such nonsense as units moving before you can give them new orders, ACCIDENTALLY declaring on an AI, without prompt, without pressing a single key, and accepting proposals mid term by clicking somewhere before the trade screen even came up. Civ V persists in UI problems and they remain an inexcusable disgrace for a top-line franchise, but bad as they are now, they were and are atrocious in civ IV to the point of losing players who play at a decent speed games due to things that they never, ever ordered happening. Civ IV is the crown ruler of ridiculously awful interface, so bad that even something like V can not touch it.
- Strategic imbalance: How quickly the forum forgets. BTS did two things: it WEAKENED high-level AI bonuses and improved it's whip/anti-rush AI. Before BTS, one of THE most common strategies was axe rush (they were not even weak to chariots...............................). In other words, THE strategy on high levels was to beat the AI's bonuses by killing it with military before it could defend itself. Other strategies were doable, but largely uphill in comparison. Does that sound familiar to people who dislike the same reality civ V (me included)? It should. Just because V repeated a mistake IV made doesn't mean the original IV gets a pass.
- Civ IV hides information from you or forces you to repeat actions un-necessarily over and over again, only relieved by mods. V actually does this too, but it's largely a push.

Adding the eventual insults of giving us new features in each of the 2 expansions while not correcting core gameplay issues/bugs and NOT EVEN TESTING the new features pushes civ IV down even worse, but even without those factors, IV vanilla was one of the worst releases in franchise history, probably the single worst. Civ IV was saved by expansions (a little bit) and by mods (a lot more). Civ IV started off as essentially a beta release much like V, and has remained an incomplete game to this day (if you dare argue with me, check how UN resolutions being picked or vassal state mechanics or the AP victory works and try again). Unlike IV, V has a small glimmer of hope possibly, because they're not done patching it. Technically, they're not done patching IV either, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't get why people hate Civ3. To me it was Civ2 with more features and functioning AI. All you needed to do it just lower the corruption and it became even better.

Also you can't think of CivRev as a Civ game. If you think of it as not part of the series it becomes a lot better of a game.

I'm not even going to touch Civ5 with all the bugs, 1upt, and no slider. It's even less of a Civ game then Rev.

I don't have Civ5 or Civ Rev. My vote for worst goes to Civ3.

Top Bottom