Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

I know exactly what you mean, but Ii'm trying to distance myself from other mods out there. I'll certainly think about it!

Meanwhile, what do you think about the colour scheme?

This:

Spoiler :

Or this:

Spoiler :

I'm not sure if this will be an issue (depends on the context you want this mod to be played in) but the first color scheme looks very like Persia and the second very like Attila. (That and the colors for your civ icon and the civ itself are different, but I dunno if either are placeholders.)

I'll post a comparison screenshot when I get home, but in actuality - when put next to each other, they do look quite different. Canada is pretty far off, and everything is subject to change as of now. Those pictures were made a couple of months ago, whilst providing feedback for a similar mod.

I'm trying to fire off the first build as we speak. Will it work?

Edit: The good news is, it works. The bad news is, it's time to debug LUA. /Cry.

This mod looks great, been trying to find a good Canada civ. But maybe instead of the voyageur being a unique great person it could be a replacement to the caravan.
Garrison artillery sounds like a powerful unit, but I don't think it really suits Canada. I think the Mountie would make for a better UU and it would work a lot better with the UA.

Keep up the good work though :D

Neirai is doing god's work. Australia is getting closer and closer to completion.

It certainly would! I would love a post-modern one too. But as of now, this is far better than just the Great writer.

This mod looks great, been trying to find a good Canada civ. But maybe instead of the voyageur being a unique great person it could be a replacement to the caravan.

That could certainly work, however it has the potential to seem out of place timewise. Unique Abilities can be timeless, but as a general rule of thumb - Unique Units (bar great people) and Unique Buildings shouldn't be. Generally if you want to make something timeless and break that rule, you would relegate it to your UA.

But as an exercise in though, how about:

Voyageur: Replaces the Caravan and uses Scout graphics. Can cross coastal tiles as if they were land. Rivers extend the length of trade routes as if they were road. 15% more :c5gold: gold when connecting to another civilization or city-state.

Garrison artillery sounds like a powerful unit, but I don't think it really suits Canada. I think the Mountie would make for a better UU and it would work a lot better with the UA.

In my opinion it suits Canada because it's a defensive unit. I'm thinking of making it do 50% less damage to cities, and can attack twice if in a Fort, Citadel or City, Defensive bonus. The Mountie would also be good, but since I can't find any decent models out there I have delegated it to the UA. The UA is just basically what traits I would give the Mountie.

Keep up the good work though :D

Cheers!

EDIT: Found a mountie! http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=223

I'd love to see that converted.

Bear in mind as well that when we say "Garrison Artillery," we're essentially talking about a replacement to the Cannon, not the Artillery.

EDIT: Although looking at Tpangolin's announcement, it says replaces the Artillery. I'm not sure if this is a typo or I'm underinformed. When it comes to a conflict between him and me, go with what he says.

That could certainly work, however it has the potential to seem out of place timewise. Unique Abilities can be timeless, but as a general rule of thumb - Unique Units (bar great people) and Unique Buildings shouldn't be. Generally if you want to make something timeless and break that rule, you would relegate it to your UA.
Maybe instead of having it replace it for the entire game it could replace it after economics and then become obsolete with railroad.

Another idea is to give all the Voyageur traits to the UA and make him timeless and make the UA traits that represent Mounties now into a standalone UU.

Regarding the Garrison Artillery - I'm quite torn between making it an Artillery or a Cannon replacement. As of now, I'm leaning more towards cannon.

Another idea is to give all the Voyageur traits to the UA and make him timeless and make the UA traits that represent Mounties now into a standalone UU.

Regarding the Garrison Artillery - I'm quite torn between making it an Artillery or a Cannon replacement. As of now, I'm leaning more towards cannon.
I think the UA is the best part of this civ and I think it should stay the same. Still not crazy about the garrison artillery, it suits Canada's playstyle but I don't think it represents Canada very well. Mounties are a much more iconic Canadian figure, whereas I've never even heard of garrison artillery.

Well, let me pull out a bit of historical information on "Garrison Artillery."

In the early ages of Canada, around the time they became their own Dominion, they had this little problem. Canada is really big, and a lot of it is empty space. It's hard to keep a nation going without roads and without infos, so:

The RCMP were formed to keep the law in the empty space, and
Canada's Artillery units were broken into two different groups.
The first, the "Horse Artillery" were sort of a mix between what you get from Civ 5 Lancers and Cannons. They're sort of like the cannon version of the Chariot Archer. Their job was to move quickly throughout the countryside, set up, and blast stuff. Horses dragged cannons, and men on horseback carried "Hand Cannons" and the like.
The second was the Garrison Artillery. Garrison Artillery didn't move around much at all. Instead, their job was to 1) take care of Canadian Forts, and 2) shoot stuff that got too close to forts.

We decided that Horse Artillery are a bit too aggressive for our defensive purposes, so while they're cool, the Garrison side of the Artillery split is a better choice mechanically.

The thing with the RCMP is that they're basically State Troopers. They're police, not military men. Now, I'm very certain that back in the era of Garrison Artillery when the RCMP was supposed to "Keep the Law in the Empty Space" they were more military than they are now, but when it comes down to it, they are wildly popular iconic policemen.

In that case I think we better stick with Garrison Artillery being a Cannon replacement.

In other news we are getting a fully animated 3D Leaderhead thanks to Ekmek! So the following question I have is this - what do you think the background should be? I essentially want it to embody the Peace Music song.

Spoiler :

So would you change the current background, and if yes - what would you change it to?

Colonial Sydney harbour in the rain or gloomy overcast conditions?
The New South Wales Parliament?
A busy looking street in 1800's Sydney?
The Australian bush?
A hill overlooking Sydney harbour?

Think about what atmosphere the music refects, whether it be day, night, sunny or wet. I'm open to all ideas and opinions for what the background or the subsequent leaderhead should look like.

EDIT: Also still looking for Canada War music

Australia looks awesome! Would've liked to see the Light Horse as a UU. Without these guys, it's doubtful that Israel would exist today, and WWI in the Middle East would not have gone nearly as well.
Regardless, looks great!

Australia looks awesome! Would've liked to see the Light Horse as a UU. Without these guys, it's doubtful that Israel would exist today, and WWI in the Middle East would not have gone nearly as well.
Regardless, looks great!

I too loved the idea of a Light Horse unit. But then we wouldn't really have the Digger - so really it's one or the other and the fact of the matter is that there are currently so many Cavalry replacements out there right now (unless you were to make them Infantry replacements).

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what the BG in the leaderscreen should be!

The mod is still in the alpha stages, but we are getting a lot closer to completion. I'll ask Neirai to see if he can rush out a pseudo-working version. Some of the art may not be working, but that's all getting done this weekend courtesy of Sergeus.

In terms of the logo. I certainly played around with the Airforce roo, but found that it just didn't fit and wasn't really "civ" or subsequently echoed the colonial nature of the mod (especially when it looks pretty modern). I tried adding a southern cross near the tail, and that looked pretty good - but ultimately I decided to stick with the waterhole. I might upload a couple a roo icons just to gage a reaction.

the air force color scheme doesn't work for me just the 'roo would be cool IMO.

Spoiler :

I like this to be honest, but perhaps not as much as I like the waterhole, which seems rather like a combination of old and new.

Ekmek, if you could PM me a google address, I can add you to the google drive where all the files are being kept.

Top Bottom