Caveman 2 Cosmos

Isn't paging on automaticly? How do I turn it on? Haven't seen anything about Paging in BUG options screen. There are two ways the game always eventually crashes 1. It just quits to desktop or 2. I get out of memory note and then a quit to the destop.

Isn't paging on automaticly? How do I turn it on? Haven't seen anything about Paging in BUG options screen. There are two ways the game always eventually crashes 1. It just quits to desktop or 2. I get out of memory note and then a quit to the destop.

Yes Graphical paging is On by default. Graphical paging is found in BUG options screen under the same Tab that Viewports resides.

As for your crashes. Several factors could be causing your particular problems.
1. Too many Civs/Cities/Units on Too Big of a map. Plus game setup Options that cause the Mod to continue to create new Civs.
2. Computer's ability to handle mod thru main ram and/or Video Ram usage and availability for either. OS, CPU, Main ram (amount available), video ram thes all contribute. Back ground programs left running or windowed and/or apps Eat up your Ram! Civ IV BtS game engine is Single core only.
3. Try adding Viewports in thru the BUG screen with settings 1st on 60x60. If this slows down or stops these crashes then we have a path to work with.

JosEPh

Is there a way to make sure that no land tiles touch the far north or south borders in map generation? I know it can be done in the micro manged planet generator option but I wonder if there is a way to do it in the other 30 or so planet generator options? If not I think this is something that should be an option regardless of what type of map you play on. I know it is impossible to make any kind of realistic map on a grid based system, but it is a little less bad if you can make sure no land touches those borders. Of course the ideal is to use a hex system that actually has less hexes on the north and south borders. Something civ5 could have done to make it better, but failed to do. If there is an option somewhere in the configuration files that I can change to make it work how I want, please let me know. At least that can make my game a little better.

Is there a way to make sure that no land tiles touch the far north or south borders in map generation? I know it can be done in the micro manged planet generator option but I wonder if there is a way to do it in the other 30 or so planet generator options? If not I think this is something that should be an option regardless of what type of map you play on. I know it is impossible to make any kind of realistic map on a grid based system, but it is a little less bad if you can make sure no land touches those borders. Of course the ideal is to use a hex system that actually has less hexes on the north and south borders. Something civ5 could have done to make it better, but failed to do. If there is an option somewhere in the configuration files that I can change to make it work how I want, please let me know. At least that can make my game a little better.

The top and bottom of the map are not the poles, even if the latitude says they are:lol:. If you go into world view you will see 2 or 4 rows above the top of the map which are the polar areas. You just can't get to them in Civ IV.

So, been playing for a little bit, and having a ton of fun.

Just a few questions, Are you planning on making King Richard's Crusade into a multiple religion thing, instead of requiring Christianity? Because let's face it, I'm pretty sure any religion can have a Crusade. :)
You guys added Clockpunk and Steampunk, why not holy wars for more than Christianity? I mean, in a world without Christianity, I'm pretty sure there would still be Crusades and Holy Wars.
I mean, in an alternate world where there was no schism in the Church, Spain and Portugal wouldn't have fought each other, and technological progression would actually increase faster because there was no wars to drag down technology.

Secondly, Six Harmonies Pagoda, why does it sound like it's a message from the 9th level of hell? I mean, ow, ow ,ow, either turn down the volume on that, or make it something that humans can understand instead of dogs. :)
Right now it sounds like complete noise.

Third, please think about more buildings that reduce maintenance costs. You already have way more than enough that increases it.
Also, how does a City Council increase maintenance anyway? They should be helping the city. :)

Forth Prostitution ban still declares a holy war against Strippers. :p
I'm always going to bring that up, guys. It's like a running gag now.

If I find anything else to mention, I'll bring it up, but I'd like more buildings for reducing maintenance costs.

Just a few questions, Are you planning on making King Richard's Crusade into a multiple religion thing, instead of requiring Christianity? Because let's face it, I'm pretty sure any religion can have a Crusade. :)
You guys added Clockpunk and Steampunk, why not holy wars for more than Christianity? I mean, in a world without Christianity, I'm pretty sure there would still be Crusades and Holy Wars.
I mean, in an alternate world where there was no schism in the Church, Spain and Portugal wouldn't have fought each other, and technological progression would actually increase faster because there was no wars to drag down technology.

The main problem is lack of religious units to fit.

So, been playing for a little bit, and having a ton of fun.
Also, how does a City Council increase maintenance anyway? They should be helping the city. :)

Try living in the UK up to about 6 years ago and many years before. The city/town council members increased local tax every year to fund their lavish live style. They even introduced a European twining policy - so council members could go on free holidays in Europe - paid for by the local tax payers (on the pretext of forging relations.)

My county council actually closed down a number of free (to the public) libraries - so they could keep the same budget for alcohol, when they overspent council taxes halfway through the year.

The current goverment has tried to curb this by limiting council tax increases and other measures.

They should be helping the city. :)

Not in real life. They are in it for themselves. Even government changes can not stop them abusing the system.

Yes Graphical paging is On by default. Graphical paging is found in BUG options screen under the same Tab that Viewports resides.

As for your crashes. Several factors could be causing your particular problems.
1. Too many Civs/Cities/Units on Too Big of a map. Plus game setup Options that cause the Mod to continue to create new Civs.
2. Computer's ability to handle mod thru main ram and/or Video Ram usage and availability for either. OS, CPU, Main ram (amount available), video ram thes all contribute. Back ground programs left running or windowed and/or apps Eat up your Ram! Civ IV BtS game engine is Single core only.
3. Try adding Viewports in thru the BUG screen with settings 1st on 60x60. If this slows down or stops these crashes then we have a path to work with.

JosEPh
I think the biggest problem is that Civ IV supports only single core. When it comes to hardware believe me that is not the problem :). I have to admit that in my current game new civs do pop up every now and then, and also a big contributor to the problem is that I have enable the options that spawn animals and hell of a lot of barbarians. I must have killed 3000 barbarians already if not more, not to mention all the wild animals. The gameplay actually improved quite alot once I "cleaned" most of the barbarians off from one of the continents. Maybe we should start a petition to "pressure" 2K to creating a Civ IV versio which support multicore/thread prosessors :), instead of making god awful games like Civ5(Ok it wasen't that bad) and Beyond Earth(This was BAAAAD, and its my oppinion).

Maybe we should start a petition to "pressure" 2K to creating a Civ IV versio which support multicore/thread prosessors :), instead of making god awful games like Civ5(Ok it wasen't that bad) and Beyond Earth(This was BAAAAD, and its my oppinion).

Yeah I hate Civ5 I also think it stinks, I used the disc and within 1/2 I took it completely off my PC and put the disk away. Is BE even worse?? It looks about the same, just weird to me at least.

The top and bottom of the map are not the poles, even if the latitude says they are:lol:. If you go into world view you will see 2 or 4 rows above the top of the map which are the polar areas. You just can't get to them in Civ IV.

That doesn't help me at all. It has no bearing on the gameplay

If the land is at the pole or not, either way, you should be able to sail around it. This is why I want to be able to make sure land doesn't touch the north or south borders. IF it is technically the pole or not is totally irrelevant.

Try living in the UK up to about 6 years ago and many years before. The city/town council members increased local tax every year to fund their lavish live style. They even introduced a European twining policy - so council members could go on free holidays in Europe - paid for by the local tax payers (on the pretext of forging relations.)

My county council actually closed down a number of free (to the public) libraries - so they could keep the same budget for alcohol, when they overspent council taxes halfway through the year.

The current goverment has tried to curb this by limiting council tax increases and other measures.

Not in real life. They are in it for themselves. Even government changes can not stop them abusing the system.

Not on my side of the pond. :) Most of the city councils here are extremely helpful, not catastrophically bad.

As for lack of religious units, I'd imagine the only real issue is getting the units to match the theme of the religion, since currently the Crusaders have the cross on their chest. I don't know anything about spriting, but would creating a clone of all the various religions based on the current Crusader, with different icons on it's chest be weeks of work? I mean, like I said, I know nothing about spriting, but it can't be as complicated as say, coding in 3 different worlds.

Hey, at least you made Atompunk so I don't have to worry about my cities having meltdowns from nuclear reactors. Although, some of the ideas in Atompunk could totally be done in real life in the next 10 years or 20.

The EPA would totally have a field day with this game's Toxic Waste dump, I know that much. :)
Unless you finally changed that. I mean, you made Manganese easier to get.

Poor New Jersey.

I've read the last few pages of this thread, and I still want to apologize for that message which had 30 million lines of text in it. :)

I figure if I make jokes about things, you won't all get angry again.
I'm still hoping the Utility Fog doesn't have the disaster flag, because it really doesn't make sense to be forced to build a building with a disaster flag to build another building.
Or at least tell me where in the game files I can change that myself. I can change golden age lengths, but that's the extent of my understanding of the esoteric code. :)

That doesn't help me at all. It has no bearing on the gameplay

If the land is at the pole or not, either way, you should be able to sail around it. This is why I want to be able to make sure land doesn't touch the north or south borders. IF it is technically the pole or not is totally irrelevant.

Currently C2C only has 1 mapmaker on apart time basis. If you can not achieve what it is you want thru the Map set we Offer then we are at a loss to help you. I would suggest making a request in the Map subforum here. And then see if anyone replies. http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459

I do know that Perfect Moongoose will at times make a map that allows traversing the globe around the poles. But it's a random process as far as I know.

JosEPh

I am not a scripted map maker, but something you could try is this.

In the PrivateMaps folder make a copy of the file C2C_PerfectWorld2f.py, edit the copy with Notepad++.

Find the lines (about 350 lines down).

#Creates a water margin around the map edges.
self.northMargin = False
self.southMargin = False
self.eastMargin = False
self.westMargin = False

Change the value False to True. That should work in most cases, though you may sometimes get an Ice/Sea tile blocking your way.

Apologies for asking what may seem like an obvious question, but this is my first C2C playthrough and the game is so vast...

Anyway, what do I need to do to initiate diplomacy? I've teched writing and I still can't speak to the other leaders

Have you tried to click on a Name in the list in the lower left of the Main screen that Lists all AI you have made contact with? There is a row of buttons there that one of them activates the list just like the Grid for the map.

JosEPh :)

Apologies for asking what may seem like an obvious question, but this is my first C2C playthrough and the game is so vast...

Anyway, what do I need to do to initiate diplomacy? I've teched writing and I still can't speak to the other leaders

The AI you wish to contact also needs to have Writing.

Ah. OK, I'm going to be waiting a long time then :rolleyes:

Whilst still at war with all of them :sad:

Did you use the Game set up Option Start as Minors (SaM)? If you did Diplomacy can only start once you or any AI has teched Writing. As Stormwind posted.

But if you did not use That Set Up Option (SaM) then once you meet an AI you should have limited Diplomacy IF you selected Adv. Diplomacy from the Game Set up Options.

JosEPh

Did you use the Game set up Option Start as Minors (SaM)? If you did Diplomacy can only start once you or any AI has teched Writing. As Stormwind posted.

But if you did not use That Set Up Option (SaM) then once you meet an AI you should have limited Diplomacy IF you selected Adv. Diplomacy from the Game Set up Options.

JosEPh

Yeah, I did the first (found a vid on youtube then went through the "recomended" settings, and that was one of them. Ah well, live and learn. The vid also said to set your level to 2 levels below what you play vanilla Civ....and I'm pounding the AI. So this game is a (very long) tutorial in C2C for me now.

Enjoying it a lot, incredible mod, but I think Civ6 will be out before I finish this game :lol:

Top Bottom